Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 256 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

another bad experience with the Brits

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) could perhaps be trusted. Anyway, I rented a condo from a Brit who claims to have served in the Royal Navy, so I figured this guy probably had a sense of honor and could be trusted. I had a few misgivings about the condo, so I did not sign a long term lease (just rented month to month). Anyway, I found a better deal in the same building, so I notified him that I would be moving out. I did not give him a full 30 days notice as required by the contract, but was fully prepared to pay him the extra 2 weeks rent. So I meet this guy to settle accounts and he announces that I am in breach of contract and must therefore forfeit my entire deposit (sorry. Forgot to mention that I also had a 3000 baht electricity bill that would be deducted from the deposit). So basically what this ass hole wanted was for me to pay the electricity bill and also forfeit my entire deposit. So then I got very angry and stormed out and told him I have nothing more to say to him (at which time he threatened to call the police). But then a little bit later I had a bright idea, so I call him back and told him that I would move back into his condo for the extra two weeks and pay the extra rent and pay the electricity bill, but would expect a full refund of my deposit. This he turned down. Not sure why.

I have had many landlords in the past. Mostly Thai, one time an Indian, and one time a Russian. They have always treated me fairly. The one exception has been this scum bag Brit. I have learned my lesson. I will not have any further dealings with these vermin.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) cou

You must be a fucking Brit yourself. If you read my post, I offered to move back into the condo for an extra two weeks and pay the bastard an extra two weeks of rent. I also offered to pay t

Hi,   The British are Europeans. This means they generally have higher moral and ethical standards than say Americans or Pakistani's. I'm sure one will meet the odd bad apple all the same.

Posted Images

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) could perhaps be trusted. Anyway, I rented a condo from a Brit who claims to have served in the Royal Navy, so I figured this guy probably had a sense of honor and could be trusted. I had a few misgivings about the condo, so I did not sign a long term lease (just rented month to month). Anyway, I found a better deal in the same building, so I notified him that I would be moving out. I did not give him a full 30 days notice as required by the contract, but was fully prepared to pay him the extra 2 weeks rent. So I meet this guy to settle accounts and he announces that I am in breach of contract and must therefore forfeit my entire deposit (sorry. Forgot to mention that I also had a 3000 baht electricity bill that would be deducted from the deposit). So basically what this ass hole wanted was for me to pay the electricity bill and also forfeit my entire deposit. So then I got very angry and stormed out and told him I have nothing more to say to him (at which time he threatened to call the police). But then a little bit later I had a bright idea, so I call him back and told him that I would move back into his condo for the extra two weeks and pay the extra rent and pay the electricity bill, but would expect a full refund of my deposit. This he turned down. Not sure why.

I have had many landlords in the past. Mostly Thai, one time an Indian, and one time a Russian. They have always treated me fairly. The one exception has been this scum bag Brit. I have learned my lesson. I will not have any further dealings with these vermin.

:clueless

Of course one bad Brit means they are all bad :clueless

Love your logic

cheers

Rodney

No. They are not all bad. But I have yet to have a good experience with British guys(especially young). One time in Bangkok I was having what I thought was a friendly conversation with a British guy in a bar, and the conversation turned to terrorism. He claimed that the Christians were just as bad as the Muslims. I politely replied that I hadn't noticed how Christians were flying airplanes into buildings killing thousands or blowing up trains in London, and for this transgression of political correctness he threatened me with physical violence. Are all Brits bad? Of course not. It's just that I would like to meet a good one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's just that I would like to meet a good one.

It's too bad you never got the chance to meet my mother or any of her family in the UK, along with about 50 million other Brits. Better people don't exist.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

..... I did not give him a full 30 days notice as required by the contract, but was fully prepared to pay him the extra 2 weeks rent.

Compensation for not giving the contractual 30 days notice is over four weeks' rent, you offer two, and then badmouth the guy (and Brits in general :angry: ) for not agreeing to your terms :wtf

• Upvote 3

Think maybe you may come accross to the brits as not very nice as well.Where are you from?

Also about the contract ,if it said you should give full months notice ,you should have and not just move out because you found a

cheaper place.

Giving a notice allows for owner to find somebody to rent in this time ,thus not loosing any money with property being empty for long period.

Follow the contract and I would have been on your side.

I have rented few houses in Thailand and always followed contract without having any issue when I have moved on.

If you think Brits are keen on contracts good job you was not renting from a Chineese owner :whistling:

I know a BM who did live in Khon Kaen but now live in Jotium had a lot of issue here in Khon Kaen when he left his rented house

without giving notice .The chineese owner of the house says they owe her over 80000 bhts due to 2 months unpaid bills and damaged she says she found at the house when they left.

Think the police are involved now tracking him and his Thai lady down .Just hope police do not know his pass port number when

he leaves to go back to work as he may be stopped leaving Thailand until all bills are paid.

Mind you im sure the BM knew nothing about this as his Thai wife said she had sorted every thing out with house owner and when he came back to Thailand from working he did not go back to house in Khon Kaen just met his Thai wife in new rented house in Jotium.

He only knew about this when I e mailed him as the owner of the house was out my hosue talking to my lady about this.

Mind you after I e mailed him about this ,he seemed not want to know about this as he said his wife sorted all out,then he removed me from his face book friend ,strange was only trying to help him so he did not get into trouble with the police in the future :clueless

I know he is still a BM on here so I hope he can put some more light on this ,

Never had a high opinion of 'whatever country' Peckerwood is from, often Xenophobic, usually in a flap, forever flouncing off. :thumbup

Never had a high opinion of 'whatever country' Peckerwood is from, often Xenophobic, usually in a flap, forever flouncing off. :thumbup

He seems to like slagging off us low-life scum Brits.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I meet lots and lots of Brits, do business with them, socialize with them, rent from one, and the ones I know are good people. The ones who aren't quickly lose my interest or attention...same as any nationality or race.

Please dont tar us all with the same brush.

Actually.... this isn't all that bad a brush, though. Guy made and signed a contract. His deadbeat, arrogant and semi-violent tenant breaks the contract. Guy politely insists on the contract, and doesn't even call the cops. I wouldn't mind being painted with that brush.

So, in other words, you broke the contract. What you were prepared to do is irrelevant. You signed a contract in good faith, then you saw fit to break it when it suited you.

Did you even consider just following the contract in the first place???

You must be a fucking Brit yourself. If you read my post, I offered to move back into the condo for an extra two weeks and pay the bastard an extra two weeks of rent. I also offered to pay the electricity bill. That would put me in full compliance with the contract. But of course, I would then expect a full refund of my deposit. No doubt this low life would then find an excuse to not refund my deposit, but then there would be no way for the son-of-a-bitch to escape the fact that he was a total scum bag. Anyway, he turned my offer down, allowing him to justify his entirely dishonourable behavior in his own mind.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

It's too bad you never got the chance to meet my mother or any of her family in the UK, along with about 50 million other Brits. Better people don't exist.

Evil

:devil

I think you are probably right. I took a bicycle tour around Britain about 30 years ago, and I fell in love with the country and the people. But from everything I have read and the people I have talked to, Britain has changed very much for the worse since then. Now, if you are a young white native Brit without skills you don't work anymore, but just live on the dole. The unskilled work is done almost exclusively by immigrants. I don't know how many of these lay abouts have the means to come to Pattaya. Certainly Pattaya attracts the very lowest stratum of British society. Anybody have a reading on this? Actually, I think I will make this a poll. How many of you tatooed english hoolagans that come here regularly hold down regular jobs? And how many either have inherited money from their parents or hoard their government welfare so that they can come here once or twice a year?

Edited by peckerwood
  • Downvote 1

They teach us at school to annoy and offend peckerwoods,

It's definatly becuase he was a brit that he seems a bit of an arse :allright

I hope we all feel very ashamed of ourselves :crying:

I think you are probably right. I took a bicycle tour around Britain about 30 years ago, and I fell in love with the country and the people. But from everything I have read and the people I have talked to, Britain has changed very much for the worse since then. Now, if you are a young white native Brit without skills you don't work anymore, but just live on the dole. The unskilled work is done almost exclusively by immigrants. I don't know how many of these lay abouts have the means to come to Pattaya. Certainly Pattaya attracts the very lowest stratum of British society. Anybody have a reading on this? Actually, I think I will make this a poll. How many of you tatooed english hoolagans that come here regularly hold down regular jobs? And how many either have inherited money from their parents or hoard their government welfare so that they can come here once or twice a year?

Maybe your attitude just brings out the worst in people :allright

• Upvote 2

There WAS a written agreement. Breaking the contract was bad enough, but the loud & antagonistic manner in which it was done wasn't calculated to help matters either. Knowing that I wasn't really bargaining from a position of strength, I think I would've preceded the written notice with some calm & friendly discussion (but not formal notice) to get a reading on what the landlord's response was going to be. THEN I'd have made up my mind about what to do. Handled differently, this MIGHT well have turned out just the way you wanted it to.

'Certainly not an indictment of all things British that someone insisted that the terms of an agreement be, uh, well, "honored"...

Edited by tomcat76