Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

another bad experience with the Brits

I'm guessing he meant "voilá".

I thought of India "walla". It's a tag word, one of those ones difficult to pin down, but let me try - snake walla, kitchen walla, deep-throat walla. A person who does something useful.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) cou

You must be a fucking Brit yourself. If you read my post, I offered to move back into the condo for an extra two weeks and pay the bastard an extra two weeks of rent. I also offered to pay t

Hi,   The British are Europeans. This means they generally have higher moral and ethical standards than say Americans or Pakistani's. I'm sure one will meet the odd bad apple all the same.

Posted Images

I would take a Brit over a Thai landlord any time. I rented from a Thai, it cost me 60,000 to move in. I gave 45 days notice, left the place spotless, and had even repaired at my own cost, several things. I didn't get one baht back. They even talked us into leaving 5 days early so that the sister could move in. Sharp contrast to the guy I rent from now. I can't tell by his accent where he is from, but he has an American manager. When I gave my notice, he said not to pay rent the last month, and wanted to know when I fly out, he will have his manager show up before and give the rest of the deposit back.

• Downvote 2

I thought of India "walla". It's a tag word, one of those ones difficult to pin down, but let me try - snake walla, kitchen walla, deep-throat walla. A person who does something useful.

My thoughts went to the version of "Deck the Halls" that Walt Kelley included in his old "Pogo" comic strip:

"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,

Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!

Nora's freezin' on the trolley,

Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!"

I would take a Brit over a Thai landlord any time. I rented from a Thai, it cost me 60,000 to move in. I gave 45 days notice, left the place spotless, and had even repaired at my own cost, several things. I didn't get one baht back.

Something similar happened to a colleague of mine in Bangkok. He rented an apartment for six months. The type of apartment he wanted in the area of the city he wanted to live cost about 30,000 baht/month, but he found one where the Thai landlord asked for 25,000 baht/month for an equivalent apartment. He figured he'd save himself 5,000 baht/month and took it. Terms were first and last month's rent up front plus a 30,000 baht deposit. When he moved out, he also left the apartment in better condition than when he moved in, but never got any of the deposit back.

He realized later he'd fallen for a scam. The landlord was in effect charging the same 30,000 baht/month as all the others, just making it seem like a bargain. The landlord also knew a farang wouldn't try to sue him in Thai court to recover the deposit.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I would take a Brit over a Thai landlord any time. I rented from a Thai, it cost me 60,000 to move in. I gave 45 days notice, left the place spotless, and had even repaired at my own cost, several things. I didn't get one baht back. They even talked us into leaving 5 days early so that the sister could move in. Sharp contrast to the guy I rent from now. I can't tell by his accent where he is from, but he has an American manager. When I gave my notice, he said not to pay rent the last month, and wanted to know when I fly out, he will have his manager show up before and give the rest of the deposit back.

I'm on my third Thai landlord (don't really have much choice where I live) - never had any major problems at all (touch wood) with any of them so far. I still keep in touch with the first two ... you never know when you may want to do business with them again. That said, I've had lots of conversations with potential landlords where I've opted not to pursue the deal simply because it 'didn't feel right'.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

Why do some people have the urge to throw mud at an entire nationality when they have a bad encounter with one (or a few)?

Good question. You do understand that would include Muslims, Pakai's, East Indians, Russians, and everybody else?

• Downvote 2

Good question. You do understand that would include Muslims, Pakai's, East Indians, Russians, and everybody else?

Yes. In fact, "of course". Of those, the Muslim thing is especially ridiculous. Muslims are about as homogonised and similar as ... er, Christians. There is almost nothing you can use to stereotype Muslims. You come in contact with them every day in Pattaya and you don't even know it.

East Indians: Do you mean Bengalis? Iroquois?

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) could perhaps be trusted. Anyway, I rented a condo from a Brit who claims to have served in the Royal Navy, so I figured this guy probably had a sense of honor and could be trusted. I had a few misgivings about the condo, so I did not sign a long term lease (just rented month to month). Anyway, I found a better deal in the same building, so I notified him that I would be moving out. I did not give him a full 30 days notice as required by the contract, but was fully prepared to pay him the extra 2 weeks rent. So I meet this guy to settle accounts and he announces that I am in breach of contract and must therefore forfeit my entire deposit (sorry. Forgot to mention that I also had a 3000 baht electricity bill that would be deducted from the deposit). So basically what this ass hole wanted was for me to pay the electricity bill and also forfeit my entire deposit. So then I got very angry and stormed out and told him I have nothing more to say to him (at which time he threatened to call the police). But then a little bit later I had a bright idea, so I call him back and told him that I would move back into his condo for the extra two weeks and pay the extra rent and pay the electricity bill, but would expect a full refund of my deposit. This he turned down. Not sure why.

I have had many landlords in the past. Mostly Thai, one time an Indian, and one time a Russian. They have always treated me fairly. The one exception has been this scum bag Brit. I have learned my lesson. I will not have any further dealings with these vermin.

So u have a low opinion of welsh,irish,scottish and english,bloody hell mate i have never met somebody who doeant like all of them nations :chogdee :crying:

btw,u have to be american ?????

Edited by bratpack

Last I checked Muslims are not associated with a nation, but I have met countless wonderful Muslim people and few not so.

I may have a adversity to extreme practice of religion, but that is not limited to Muslims.

I have made trip reports to India and have had nothing, but praise for their kindness and hospitality.

I wouldn't let the annoyances of the tailors in Pattaya be a major factor about Indians.

When i used to rent houses i was always unfortunately getting thai owners from Bangkok,obnoxious people,very greed and very dishonest.I stood my ground with these pathetic peoplke and they always back down,due to the shit they spout.

chai walla...

chaiwallah.jpg

Edited by jacko

Hi,

The British are Europeans. This means they generally have higher moral and ethical standards than say Americans or Pakistani's. I'm sure one will meet the odd bad apple all the same.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

The British are Europeans. This means they generally have higher moral and ethical standards than say Americans or Pakistani's. I'm sure one will meet the odd bad apple all the same.

Europeans have generally higher morals and ethics than anyone else. heh. haha. BWOOOhahahahaha, the continent whose leaders savaged the world, led a dozen campaigns of genocide, covered the breasts of the globe, SPECIFICALLY chose trade and money over morality, murdered millions, then at home launched the most savage pair of wars in the history of the universe... are generally more moral and ethical than all other humans.

Don't make me laugh, my lips are chapped.

PEOPLE are ethical and moral. Or of course they are not. The idea that a nation, let alone a violent, murderous continent of nations is MORE moral is really funny. Stop it!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Europeans have generally higher morals and ethics than anyone else. heh. haha. BWOOOhahahahaha, the continent whose leaders savaged the world, led a dozen campaigns of genocide, covered the breasts of the globe, SPECIFICALLY chose trade and money over morality, murdered millions, then at home launched the most savage pair of wars in the history of the universe... are generally more moral and ethical than all other humans.

PEOPLE are ethical and moral. Or of course they are not. The idea that a nation, let alone a violent, murderous continent of nations is MORE moral is really funny. Stop it!

Let us keep it in this millenium!

Joe, sometimes you post something useful and worth reading, but this is your 'post a load of bollocks half hour"

You seem to be on side with the prat of an O.P

• Upvote 1

Hi,

and where do you think these "americans" came from?

Hi,

If a person with Pakistani parents is born in lets say...London.....doesn't this make him a European?huh2.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If a person with Pakistani parents is born in lets say...London.....doesn't this make him a European?huh2.gif

About as much as being born in a stable makes me a horse :rolleyes: