Does the phrase "opium war" do better?

Not for me.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) cou

You must be a fucking Brit yourself. If you read my post, I offered to move back into the condo for an extra two weeks and pay the bastard an extra two weeks of rent. I also offered to pay t

Hi,   The British are Europeans. This means they generally have higher moral and ethical standards than say Americans or Pakistani's. I'm sure one will meet the odd bad apple all the same.

Posted Images

Well that explains quite a lot, and you're not even curious about this major, major issue to China which enriched the rapacious British and their nation and left China reeling and very bitter.

But yes, because of it, "the Chinese", yes, just as the Canuck explained tersely.

Don't feel TOO bad, most Americans don't know the Canadians burnt down the White House. But at least if you mention it to them they try to find out. But most people don't want to know their country's bad deeds.

• Upvote 1

'Well, to about the same extent that most US high school graduates for the last 20 yrs haven't even been able to balance a checkbook I guess it's probably true they don't know about the burning of Washington during the War of 1812. (They learn about kwanzaa instead...) My generation was certainly taught about it. 'Must admit though, I thought it was British troops under one General Ross, not Canadians. What most members of even MY generation probably DON'T know is that many loyalist/Tory refugees from the colonies, dispossessed of their property during or after the American Revolution, immigrated to Canada and the Caribbean. So I'm sure there must've been some who joined up with the British forces during the War of 1812 for a little bit of payback.

Well that explains quite a lot, and you're not even curious about this major, major issue to China which enriched the rapacious British and their nation and left China reeling and very bitter.

But yes, because of it, "the Chinese", yes, just as the Canuck explained tersely.

Don't feel TOO bad, most Americans don't know the Canadians burnt down the White House. But at least if you mention it to them they try to find out. But most people don't want to know their country's bad deeds.

I know all about the Opium War you Muppet.

China was never part of the British Empire.

We leased Hong Kong.

Never had a very high opinion of British guys in Pattaya (you know the type: tatoos from head to toe, really weird haircuts, etc. etc.) But I mostly figured that the older types (over 50 or so) could perhaps be trusted. Anyway, I rented a condo from a Brit who claims to have served in the Royal Navy, so I figured this guy probably had a sense of honor and could be trusted. I had a few misgivings about the condo, so I did not sign a long term lease (just rented month to month). Anyway, I found a better deal in the same building, so I notified him that I would be moving out. I did not give him a full 30 days notice as required by the contract, but was fully prepared to pay him the extra 2 weeks rent. So I meet this guy to settle accounts and he announces that I am in breach of contract and must therefore forfeit my entire deposit (sorry. Forgot to mention that I also had a 3000 baht electricity bill that would be deducted from the deposit). So basically what this ass hole wanted was for me to pay the electricity bill and also forfeit my entire deposit. So then I got very angry and stormed out and told him I have nothing more to say to him (at which time he threatened to call the police). But then a little bit later I had a bright idea, so I call him back and told him that I would move back into his condo for the extra two weeks and pay the extra rent and pay the electricity bill, but would expect a full refund of my deposit. This he turned down. Not sure why.

I have had many landlords in the past. Mostly Thai, one time an Indian, and one time a Russian. They have always treated me fairly. The one exception has been this scum bag Brit. I have learned my lesson. I will not have any further dealings with these vermin.

Why did you not give him the 30 days notice ? was that not the terms ? how would you feel if he gave you two weeks notice ?

You should have both agreed and understood terms,

I know all about the Opium War you Muppet.

And the reason you said "no" you had not heard of it?

China was never part of the British Empire.

And? Your point is? The post by Johnny K said that among people who don't share a love or nostalgia for the British Empire are the Chinese. Number one, that is really, really, factual and true. Number two, there is a very good reason for their.... distaste and it is chiefly the opium wars.

• Upvote 1

Europeans have generally higher morals and ethics than anyone else. heh. haha. BWOOOhahahahaha, the continent whose leaders savaged the world, led a dozen campaigns of genocide, covered the breasts of the globe, SPECIFICALLY chose trade and money over morality, murdered millions, then at home launched the most savage pair of wars in the history of the universe... are generally more moral and ethical than all other humans.

Don't make me laugh, my lips are chapped.

PEOPLE are ethical and moral. Or of course they are not. The idea that a nation, let alone a violent, murderous continent of nations is MORE moral is really funny. Stop it!

Joe, I don't always see eye to eye with you, but to have Europeans lecture Americans on morality is utterly ludicrous. The two world wars were European wars. Not sure how many people were killed in WWI, but in WWII there were in excess of 60 million. By contrast the wars America has been involved in since WWII have had relatively few civilian casualties. You Europeans are self righteous hypocrites.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Joe, I don't always see eye to eye with you, but to have Europeans lecture Americans on morality is utterly ludicrous. The two world wars were European wars. Not sure how many people were killed in WWI, but in WWII there were in excess of 60 million. By contrast the wars America has been involved in since WWII have had relatively few civilian casualties. You Europeans are self righteous hypocrites. To my mind, we Americans are far more morally superior to you scumbag Europeans .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The two world wars were European wars.

I seem to recall a theatre or two in another part of the world. Wasn't there some sort of quarrel in Asia? Africa? Maybe I'm misremembering.

I take your point about some Euros looking down their noses at the imperialistic Americans. But even so, I wouldn't put much if any of that on the Brits!

You had a run-in with a landlord and a couple of other people. No one elected them to represent the country.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 1

By contrast the wars America has been involved in since WWII have had relatively few civilian casualties. You Europeans are self righteous hypocrites.

Well in that case it doesn't matter, you may as well go ahead and invade Iran. If it's only going to be relatively few casualties compared to World War two then it's no problem. What an absolute tool you are. :allright

Edited by Siam Sam
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't start that xhit, Sam. Not in this thread, okay? Seriously

I'll post what I like where I want. That is, until someone in a position of authority tells me not to. It's not your forum.

• Upvote 4

I'll post what I like where I want. That is, until someone in a position of authority tells me not to. It's not your forum.

good one sam

I'm loving this thread, Keep posting

cheers rogero (wheres my beer icons gone ?)

The two world wars were European wars. Not sure how many people were killed in WWI, but in WWII there were in excess of 60 million. By contrast the wars America has been involved in since WWII have had relatively few civilian casualties. You Europeans are self righteous hypocrites.

The Nazis were trying to take over Europe FFS. It was defence. Do you think we should have let them take over and gas all the jews? Jeez.

Was Japan in Europe back then!!!!!!! Why didn't they call them the European wars lol. And how many Japanese were killed when America wiped out man, woman and child in two Japanese cities ?????

Having said that, I am not criticizing America for the atomic bombs. Just pointing out you blind hypocracy. And basically, you will trash Europe,going back decades, because you can't honour a fecking contact!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Nazis were trying to take over Europe FFS. It was defence. Do you think we should have let them take over and gas all the jews? Jeez.

Was Japan in Europe back then!!!!!!! Why didn't they call them the European wars lol. And how many Japanese were killed when America wiped out man, woman and child in two Japanese cities ?????

Having said that, I am not criticizing America for the atomic bombs. Just pointing out you blind hypocracy. And basically, you will trash Europe,going back decades, because you can't honour a fecking contact!

After such an idiotic and ridiculous OP, I didn't think it could get any worse but this guy has managed to take being an ass hole and a fool to another level.

After such an idiotic and ridiculous OP, I didn't think it could get any worse but this guy has managed to take being an ass hole and a fool to another level.

Agreed mate. I like your thesis :D

• Upvote 1

It's incredible lol. " Your wars were worse than ours wars"! He probably hasn't noticed that Hitler was bonkers. :frustrated1:

Agreed mate. I like your thesis :D

I knew you'd come round, sonny. :thumbup

In that case I'll rather eagerly look forward, to your posts on the British export of mass warfare and genocide by many means, worldwide, and how without the British, there's quite a good chance it never would have spilled across so many borders. The sun never sets on British-inspired violence.

The difference being that I don't blame the British people or British voters or "the British" or many living British for this. But just a few who know who they are.

Well in that case it doesn't matter, you may as well go ahead and invade Iran. If it's only going to be relatively few casualties compared to World War two then it's no problem. What an absolute tool you are. :allright

Spot on, the only real difference between us is that Britain has a shameful past, whereas the U.S.A has a shameful present, and possibly future.

• Upvote 2

Spot on, the only real difference between us is that Britain has a shameful past, whereas the U.S.A has a shameful present, and possibly future.

All countries have some things they would rather “forget” I was watching a documentary last night that showed the conditions for 1930’s Oakies in “work camps” in California not much difference from some “work camps” in 1940’s Europe.

• Downvote 1

All countries have some things they would rather “forget” I was watching a documentary last night that showed the conditions for 1930’s Oakies

But of course the only country you can actually think of at the moment that has a past that it tries to forget is the United States. Fair go. It's hard to think of any other country that has ever had such a shameful past as a drought. There's probably not another country since Earth cooled with THAT shameful a past.

Still.... I'll give you a few minutes, see if you can think of another example -- not as bad of course, but still has something in its past it tries to forget. Go ahead. Give it a shot.

• Upvote 2