Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What is your preferred airline when travelling to and from Thailand and why?

Departing from Las Vegas, Korean Air is the only airline that has direct fllights to Asia so I will always prefer Korea Air if the price is not too much higher than alternatives. I don't waste time in LA or SF this way and Korean Air out of Las Vegas has the most comfortable economy seats I have ever experienced. Downside is an often times long layover at Inchon. But Priority Pass gets me into nice airport lounges with showers and sleeping rooms. Sometimes I'll leave the airport for the day and have lunch with friends in Seoul.

On the other hand, price rules for me. I'll pay no more than $100 or $200 extra for Korean Air and as a result I often fly on other airlines. Next trip is through SF and Tokyo on United and Nippon Air. Never heard of Nippon Air but from what I can find on the internet it sounds like an ok airline.

Edited by LasRobos
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to fly Biman, best airline ever. Loads of booze, can smoke and the curry was great. If there was an airline that allowed smoking that took 24 hours I would still go for it.

I agree UAL is the best of a bad lot for flying to BKK. I still recommend flying with UAL. For a long time I was a Premier Executive level frequent flier. I always was seated in the exit row and had c

Eva air for me direct and good value for money never had any issues with them.

DUe to a back complaint I have to have a flat bed - meaning business class, and not just a big reclining old style seat like EVAs. Can fully recommend Oman's business. Yes, the early morning departure is a pain, but it's do-able. The new lounge in Muscat is a great improvement in the old one...

DUe to a back complaint I have to have a flat bed - meaning business class, and not just a big reclining old style seat like EVAs. Can fully recommend Oman's business. Yes, the early morning departure is a pain, but it's do-able. The new lounge in Muscat is a great improvement in the old one...

I think the OP is flying from the states, not from Europe.! But should he fly from Europe any time soon, I'm sure that Oman air would be a good choice.

Aeroflot: Nice seatings on the economy class, like the business class on some the other airlines ( wide and leather covered seats ) No bitching me to use my e-cigarettes and drinking from my bag... True, the airport is crap...

SWISS: Good connection and again no bitching with me.....nice airplains.. the best smoking room on the airport..

I just search for the cheapest ticket and as long as the stopover isn't excessive, book it.

Flown with maybe half a dozen different airlines and I hate all of them with the exception of Air Asia (short flights only) which are a breath of fresh air.

Its more about schedules than airlines with me. EVA is ok but flight scheduling means ariving in BKK late i like to get there about 7 or 8am not in the afternoon.

I stilll fly Thai if I want direct or Etihad(from Manchester) if I dont but recently Etihad have been expensive as are Qatar. Emirates look like they are becoming more competitive they fly from Manchester too.

I flew back last time on Jet and Mumbi airport was just unacceptable. Never again.

Being cheap by nature I normally go for the cheapest option.Having said that I always look for travel times in the 17 hour range with only 1 stop,and won,t use some airlines as I don't trust them very much.I can as I am not stuck on dates arrange my travel to suit the airline that charges me the least and have flown with Etihad,Gulf,EVA,Thai,Kingfisher and Emirates all of whom I would fly with again but Kingfisher was the worst plane,from India to Thailand,much too cramped ,although it had great food.I would never again pay extra for the EVA enhanced economy as I found the extra knee room not worth the extra cash as the seats were narrower and not as comfortable as cheap economy where I always got 2 seats anyway.So to be honest I don't have a favourite airline just a favourite destination.Book up and enjoy.

I flew back last time on Jet and Mumbi airport was just unacceptable. Never again.

I concur.

I think the OP is flying from the states, not from Europe.! But should he fly from Europe any time soon, I'm sure that Oman air would be a good choice.

You think I'm an AMERICAAAAN? The shame! Does the bit on my profile that states my location as Southampton not give it away?

You think I'm an AMERICAAAAN? The shame! Does the bit on my profile that states my location as Southampton not give it away?

Do't worry about Firthy - he's a good bloke, but just gets things wrong from time to time...

Pity no-one flies direct from Southampton.... it's my nearest airport too, and much more pleasant than LHR or Gatwick!

For me, it's close to a toss-up between Korean and Eva. From Seattle, Eva departs in the middle of the night, which gets harder and harder as the birthdays go by but gets to Bangkok before noon. A couple of things about economy seating on Eva. If you ever get booked on one of their 747s where they allow you to select a seat on the upper deck, that is one of the best economy seats you will ever get, more leg room and a better chance of an empty seat next to you. But if you are on one of their long-haul 777s (777-300ER), you need to check http://www.seatguru.com because most of the aisle seats have restricted leg room because of an entertainment controller box.

Coming back, Korean has a long layover at Incheon, but the answer to that is to check into the transit hotel for several hours for about US$80 and get some sleep and a shower.

Whoever you fly with from the UK, the price is going to attract an increased airline tax from George Osbourne. I think it starts early next year ?

Yes, 1st April. Then the UKwill have the highest APD in the world.

I think I will have to reduce my UK visits to 1/year. Prices are getting silly.

I wouldn't blame the need for tax increases wholly at Osborne's door, it was expensive before he got there.

The highest band/rate will go up from £170 to £184

You can avoid it by flying to Northern Ireland!

Edited by jacko
  • 4 weeks later...

My first trip was on a Thai jumbo which I believe they still use, crap entertainment, 1 screen a mile down the cabin. Have flown Eva the past two years which has been great and looking forward to flying with them next week ! Only do direct flights, can't be doing stop overs !

My first trip was on a Thai jumbo which I believe they still use, crap entertainment, 1 screen a mile down the cabin. Have flown Eva the past two years which has been great and looking forward to flying with them next week ! Only do direct flights, can't be doing stop overs !

I actually prefer indirect flights and a shortish transit......

Always use to find the Eva service going home Bangkok-London was never ending at 12 hours or so....

You're depressed probably and starting to withdraw from alcohol which doesn't help, especially if its a packed motor..

Thats very true Paul, from first sitting down until getting off the aircraft is usually 13hrs+. I prefer Eva, in fact I have always flown Eva except for the very first time I went to Thailand and I spent a few days in Hong Kong first.

I believe that Thai are revamping their aircraft on the LHR route this year, so they may be worth keeping an eye on.

I will never fly BA after a bad incident one time, my seat was in economy but I went a walk around the aircraft and found myself in Club Class. A bitchy stewardess said to me, "Yes sir, can I help you?" I replied, " I have got my eyes on the Club class seat" She retorted, "You better keep your eyes on it, because you'll never get you arse on it" :llaugh

• Upvote 1

I will never fly BA after a bad incident one time, my seat was in economy but I went a walk around the aircraft and found myself in Club Class. A bitchy stewardess said to me, "Yes sir, can I help you?" I replied, " I have got my eyes on the Club class seat" She retorted, "You better keep your eyes on it, because you'll never get you arse on it" :llaugh

They should have locked metal gates between the classes like on the Titanic :D

I have had good and bad service from every airline I have tried. There is a big variation between between the type of planes and the routes. I seldom fly anymore but now my first priority is price. I will pay a bit more for better connections. I fly cattle class because cattle class gets there in the same amount of time as first class.

I have had good and bad service from every airline I have tried. There is a big variation between between the type of planes and the routes. I seldom fly anymore but now my first priority is price. I will pay a bit more for better connections. I fly cattle class because cattle class gets there in the same amount of time as first class.

It just seems a lot longer......
  • 1 month later...

For me it is Emirates first, THAI 2nd and EVA 3rd. Otherwise any European, UAE or SE Asian airline that has a good offer.

No way I'll fly China Airlines again unless it's for free (because of (massive delays, overbooking, unhelpful staff, food, no IFE etc)

Most Airlines I've flown suck big time (United, American, Continental, China Eastern.) but keeping the price down is important to me.

This trip Cathay Pacific is what came up almost as cheap as the others and I couldn't be more thrilled.. It has only one stop in HK rather than 2 which are usually Chicago and Narita.

I like JAL, ANA and Thai for a better overall exp.