Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Heathrow airport has warned airlines that passengers could face 12-hour delays next week

when immigration officers go on strike over pensions.

Chief operating officer Norman Boivin said there was a danger of "gridlock". Heathrow operator BAA has been

holding talks with airlines and the UK Border Agency to try to minimise the impact of Wednesday's public sector strike.

PM David Cameron said it was clear there would be an impact at ports and airports but borders would be secure.

"At the very least there will be longer queues and people will have to wait longer at borders," his spokesman said.

He added that the government was still working on contingency plans and gathering information on the impact of

the strikes.

'Fantasy economics'

In a letter to all airlines operating into Heathrow, Mr Boivin said: "The delays at immigration are likely to be so long

that passengers could not be safely accommodated within the terminals and would need to be held on arriving

aircraft.

"This in turn would quickly create gridlock at the airport with no available aircraft parking stands, mass cancellations

or departing aircraft and diversions outside the UK for arriving aircraft."

He added: "Modelling of the impacts of strike action on passenger flows at Heathrow show that there are likely to be

very long delays of up to 12 hours to arriving passengers."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15884527

Edited by richardm

Fucking unions.

Sorry, but this one is necessary. What the government is trying to do to it's own workers - especially the lower paid - would be criminal if they weren't the ones who make the laws. In the last (still on-going actually) dispute their actions were thrown out by the High Court because they didn't have the authority to make the changes they wanted to, so they changed the law so that they could make them. Legal yes, honourable no. Could happen again this time.

I'm very non-militant and I don't work at an airport, but I WILL be on strike on Wednesday, we have to protest what they're doing to our futures.

Edited by Big_Brian
  • Downvote 2

Fucking unions.

I tend to agree.

They have managed to extort the governments over the years for better and better terms and conditions.

It was always easier to give in as governments are transitory things and the impact would not be felt until the future.

Well the future has arrived and the £1.1 trillion bill for public pensions is unsustainable..

Source

Sure, having your lollipop taken away can bring a tear, but taxation is somewhat at a limit now.

Stamp Duty

Tobacco Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Income Tax

Council Tax

Unemployment Tax

Fishing License Tax

Petrol/Diesel Tax

Inheritance Tax

(tax on top of tax)

Alcohol Tax

V..A.T.

Marriage License Tax

Property Tax

Service charge taxes

Social Security Tax

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Not forgetting the Financila transaction tax being considered to help sustain irresponsible countries who spend beyond their means.

Cameron is being quite brave, he is hardly likely to survive.

Edited by jacko

I tend to agree.

They have managed to extort the governments over the years for better and better terms and conditions.

It was always easier to give in as governments are transitory things and the impact would not be felt until the future.

Well the future has arrived and the £1.1 trillion bill for public pensions is unsustainable..

Source

Sure, having your lollipop taken away can bring a tear, but taxation is somewhat at a limit now.

Stamp Duty

Tobacco Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Income Tax

Council Tax

Unemployment Tax

Fishing License Tax

Petrol/Diesel Tax

Inheritance Tax

(tax on top of tax)

Alcohol Tax

V..A.T.

Marriage License Tax

Property Tax

Service charge taxes

Social Security Tax

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Not forgetting the Financila transaction tax being considered to help sustain irresponsible countries who spend beyond their means.

Cameron is being quite brave, he is hardly likely to survive.

Totally on target. Cities and states, awakened from decades of financial slumber, now find themselves broke 3 times over because of ludicrous pension benefit concessions to public employee unions over the years. Taxpayers formerly sympathetic to and reliable supporters of these unions are now finally beginning to get it and are turning out policiticans who breathe anything about tax hikes to finance these benefits. The worm may just be turning...

Oh, silly me! Did I just say "cities and states"? Certainly the federal govt itself is no exception. Talk about BROKE!

Edited by tomcat76

All Government workers have had it too easy for too long, more so then higher up you go.

The country can no longer afford to pay for pensions and perks on the current basis.

The Unions are as bad as the Politicians bent and money grabbers.

• Upvote 2