Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Sri Lankan Airlines

First of all great new look to your website MM (not been on for year or so)

Hi people, looking to fly out in March 2012 and we are eyeing Sri Lankan Airlines at the moment £456.

Just wondered if any one flown with them RECENTLY and could give some feed back.

Flew with etihad last time and we dont fancy a bag of chocolate popcorn for breakfast this time round. lol!

Thanks

p.s have done a search but didnt come up with anything RECENT!

Not sure how long Sri Lankan have been operating the LON>BKK route as there is nothing on skytrax. I dont think its been long.

I guess no BMs flown with them yet?

Think we are going to just give them a try as their website seems ok and they have won a few awards.

Dont think you can go wrong with £456 all in with 3hr stopover.

Not sure how long Sri Lankan have been operating the LON>BKK route as there is nothing on skytrax. I dont think its been long.

There are 4 pages of over 200, generally crap, reviews on Skytrax.

Dont think you can go wrong with £456 all in with 3hr stopover.

You can go very, very wrong.

Oh okay cheers for that...

I just wasnt aware they did a LON>BKK flight(only found one on skytrax with 8/10)

Maybe i should re think before i buy our tickets for march, maybe go for Oman again as we were very happy with them last year.

• Upvote 1

SriLankan is ok, but remember they are not a first division airline and if you are flying economy ask or if you can, book seats which are in the first couple of rows behind business class [avoid the first, bulkhead row though to improve on your leg room]........this way you have a better chance of sitting next to passengers with a more sympathetic approach to the customs & norms of international flying, especially on the legs to/from Colombo to Bangkok! If there is not a huge price diference and the connections via Muscat on Oman Air are reasonable, these guys could be a good option as the aircraft they use on these routes are newer and they are trying very hard to offer a very good on-board experience. You are also likely to have a better meal experience on Oman air.

Cheers

If there is not a huge price diference and the connections via Muscat on Oman Air are reasonable, these guys could be a good option as the aircraft they use on these routes are newer and they are trying very hard to offer a very good on-board experience. You are also likely to have a better meal experience on Oman air.

Cheers

Yes i think we are going to choose Oman for our next holiday as the flight we are looking at with them is only £25 more pp and it only 2-3 hours stopover e/w, also we get to go on holiday a whole day earlier which means a whole extra day in Thailand.

We did fly Oman last October and were very very impressed with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken time to read through ALL the reviews for Sri Lankan on Skytrax and i think you have been a bit harsh on them Tom.

They do not sound too bad for long haul.

I have taken time to read through ALL the reviews for Sri Lankan on Skytrax and i think you have been a bit harsh on them Tom.

They do not sound too bad for long haul.

This got posted since...

LHR-Colombo-Male return for honeymoon. When we booked as a honeymoon couple we had hoped we would be sat together, this was not the case but was managed by check in staff at heathrow. The plane was old and very tiredd looking, seats were very uncomfortable and cramped. Inflight entertainment was either not working (games, TV, Movies etc) or working poorly. Cabin crew did the minimum to make the long journey feel comfortable and were unapproachable. Food okay OK on the journey out, on the return was poor. No beverages were offered to passengers other than with meals. Would not recommend to anyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my m8 are flying with them on the 5th feb it cost £507 each with a 5 hour stop over, i emailed ahead for seats with extra leg room and they got back quickley with confermation of exit seats so ill let you guys know how it went :thumbup

Me and my m8 are flying with them on the 5th feb it cost £507 each with a 5 hour stop over, i emailed ahead for seats with extra leg room and they got back quickley with confermation of exit seats so ill let you guys know how it went :thumbup

Yes please do(hopefully good feedback) as we are flying with them on 3rd March.(£451pp)

Edited by farman

Just thought I'd add this

Flights out

LON>COL a343

COL>BKK a332

Flights in

BKK>COL a332

COL>LON a332

So hopefully it should be a fairly smooth journey overall. We are a bit worried the first leg(a343) maybe a bit rough as we have read some bad reviews about Sri Lankans worn out 343's but then again we have read some good reviews about their 343's.

Flights on the a332's should be fine.

Roll on March 3rd ;)

• 5 weeks later...

So how did it go, if you are back yet...

Errr...

Assumed the a332's that sri lankan use were new but I think that they are old like their a343's...

Oh well, like someone once told me "NEVER ASSUME"

Too late now as we are booked already, as long as we get there we dont really give a fook.

Just browsing yesterday on the usual flight consolidators and Sri Lankan was coming in at £448 for middle March for 2 month ticket.

Not bad at all !! Inbound quite a wait but I'd do it.

Go read some reviews first!

Have you ever flown Sri Lankan Jacko?

Yes, many years ago, on the plane was tolerable but reliability and punctuality an issue. For more up to date information I took a look at recent reviews.

For more up to date information I took a look at recent reviews.

Oh right, you mean the three most recent on skytrax which were 8/10 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Not looking too bad for an airline that charges £450 for an economy return to Bangkok.

Or are you reading your recent reviews somewhere else?

Dear Farman. The airline is ok by western standards in my humble opinion.

But do check the connections on your return leg. had a 20 hr stopover in colombo on the way back froom bkk to doha

But fantastic hotel was provided with great meals all included.

Wish you luck. Safe flying kind Sir.

Oh right, you mean the three most recent on skytrax which were 8/10 7/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Not looking too bad for an airline that charges £450 for an economy return to Bangkok.

Or are you reading your recent reviews somewhere else?

You seem to have issues with me, get over it.

How on earth do you know which reviews I meant? I certainly would not refer to aged ones like you seem to do.

The reviews I read were from late 2011 and early 2012.

If all you can afford is £450, sure go for it, a further $10 might be a good idea.

Executive Lounge - US$ 10 for a 3 hour stay.

You seem to have issues with me, get over it.

How on earth do you know which reviews I meant? I certainly would not refer to aged ones like you seem to do.

The reviews I read were from late 2011 and early 2012.

If all you can afford is £450, sure go for it, a further $10 might be a good idea.

Executive Lounge - US$ 10 for a 3 hour stay.

Sorry jacko, seriously I don't have issues with anyone on here(only Macky when he was around!!!)

When I get to Pattaya Sunday afternoon I will post on here what I make of them, fresh from one of their flights.

Just for the record, £450 is not all I can afford, Im just shrewd with my money.

Also... I got you muddled up with cheshire tom and his posts at the top of the page about skytrax reviews... sorry bud!

:sorry

Also... I got you muddled up with cheshire tom and his posts at the top of the page about skytrax reviews... sorry bud!

What's your issues with the posts about the Skytrax reviews. You claimed I was pretty harsh on the airline, but I didn't write the reviews. It was you, not I, who introduced Skytrax into the thread in your second post and now want to bury your head in the sand because, overall, those reviews aren't particularly complimentary.

Just for the record, £450 is not all I can afford, Im just shrewd with my money.

You had the option of Oman Air for 500 quid, or Sri Lankan for 450 quid. And you know that Oman offers a superior product. :clueless

Shrewd or willing to take a gamble to save 50 quid?

Edited by CheshireTom

Sorry jacko, seriously I don't have issues with anyone on here(only Macky when he was around!!!)

When I get to Pattaya Sunday afternoon I will post on here what I make of them, fresh from one of their flights.

:sorry

Fair dos... post your experiences, and I hope the reviews prove wrong. Have a good flight and a good time in fun city.

As for muddling me with CT....... :angry2