Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The NFL Play-offs

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just saw this very troubling story on the web:   It says that 15 (fifteen!!!) per cent of men said they would be willing to miss the birth of their child to attend the Super Bowl.That is a STUNNIN

Joe I am most offended by pseudo-sports experts who latch onto a flash-in-the-pan player and declare him to be (literally in Tebow's case) the second coming. There are so many great young players in

Posted Images

Elway just announced that Tebow will be his number one QB going into training camp. No surprise there. It also won't surprise me when they sign a fairly well tested QB as a "back-up".

What I said several weeks ago, that the very insecure and tip-toeing vice-president of something or other wouldn't have the guts to do anything else. Remember? I told you he would say that no matter how the season ended, or when it ended, there was never an iota of a scintilla of a chance he would say otherwise. Five wins in a row as a drop-in, backup quarterback, what else do you think Elway could do in his last chance of finding a job in OR out of football? I told you that while you were lecturing me about how the powerful and single-minded Elway was going to manipulate the draft of Andrew Luck. Remember?

No matter what Elway thinks, or believes, or wishes or dreams - no matter if he hates or disrespects Tebow - he WILL back him in public because if he doesn't, then Elway's history and he's living in a two-bedroom apartment in a suburb and shaking hands with the patrons at someone else's steak restaurant the rest of his life.

What Elway says and does has the authority and staying power of a Denver snowfall. That's been the big problem with the Broncos for seven, eight years now, since after the genius and unbeatable Super Bowl winner Shanahan declared Brian Griese would be the next Elway at quarterback. That's when the Bronco organisation lost it. Bringing Elway into the front office last year was desperation and doomed, because Elway hasn't got a spine, hasn't got the backbone to make the decisions that have to be made, such as dealing Orton last August for prime example. He is a classic waffler, as likely to fail as Shanahan in his latter years, and the Broncos will continue to pay for that. All they have for now is the chance of another lucky streak. What they do NOT have is a strong guy in the front office. Vice president Elway is as focussed and dedicated as Mitt Romney with all the charisma and authority of Mitt Romney.

Elway was a quarterback. Elway is NOT a front office person, not unless it's vice president of public relations under someone who knows what he's doing. Elway has a GREAT smile, nice personality. He's even smart. But he has the business ability of a Pattaya kway teow stall operator, but without the survival instincts. It's amazing to watch a legitimate Stanford grad turn into Joe Louis.

There's also no way to fix an NFL game.

Read what you want to read, Vic. Don't bother reading the thread. You imagined that someone argued with you over this. No one did, least of all me. At no time did I write it was impossible to fix an NFL game. You imagine that, too.

Here is what you did, though. You refused to explain your claim that an NFL game could be *successfully* fixed, how that would be done. You refused to say how the Super Bowl audience could be bigger. That's what you ACTUALLY did not do, requiring no imagination or misreading. I specifically and simply asked you both these questions and you ignored them.

Once again answering *you* and not a word about the NFL playoffs. Amazing, worthy of a Double-D-Dusa medal.

You're more interested in telling me I'm wrong than discussing the topic. You were correct to mention SS, but you should have included Obsession as well - you have adopted their tactic of avoiding the issue and simply opting to bash me. :wanker:

Lol. Are you truly that dense? I responded to you that the Raiders lost Denver their way into the playoffs. You didn't like that enough to quote it and respond to it twice :rolleyes: . I then told you why the Bronco's won their way into the playoffs via NFL rules. You didn't like that, go figure. I even asked you if we'd gotten to where you were stating your opinion rather than facts. You avoided that :hithead :wanker: . In total I've told you to move on from it three times, and now here you are 4 days later bringing it back up in response to a completely different issue. Holy crap Vic....which part of "Move on Vic" is giving you the most trouble? :dhorse

Now, do you care to actually reply to the post you completely avoided? If not, I'll take it as you admit you're wrong and have taken the tactic of simply wanting to bore me to death rather than trying to keep up........ :yawn:

As an aside Vic, and I apologise if you mentioned it in the thread, how are you watching the games this season? I've got to say that the HD transmissions of the NFL on Astro are one of the things that make the subscription worthwhile.

Mostly internet highlights. NFL.com keeps updating them during games. You know me - poorly paid teacher that I am - I'm too cheap to invest much money. I listen to a lot of talk radio via the internet and read several sports sites to keep up on things.

Mostly internet highlights. NFL.com keeps updating them during games. You know me - poorly paid teacher that I am - I'm too cheap to invest much money. I listen to a lot of talk radio via the internet and read several sports sites to keep up on things.

Ah, well! The tennis from Oz is also on now .... worth it just for all those -kova and -nova birds! :thumbup

What I said several weeks ago, that the very insecure and tip-toeing vice-president of something or other wouldn't have the guts to do anything else. Remember? I told you he would say that no matter how the season ended, or when it ended, there was never an iota of a scintilla of a chance he would say otherwise. Five wins in a row as a drop-in, backup quarterback, what else do you think Elway could do in his last chance of finding a job in OR out of football? I told you that while you were lecturing me about how the powerful and single-minded Elway was going to manipulate the draft of Andrew Luck. Remember?

What I actually said was he was trying to figure out a way to get Andrew Luck (pure speculation on my part) because it was obvious to most football people that Tebow isn't a starting QB in the NFL. Then Tebow pulled out a dramatic win vs the best defense in the AFC, so now Elway is stuck with him until training camp, er, uh, I mean so lucky to have a winner like him on the roster. ;) Hey maybe he'll learn to pass more consistently during the off season. :clueless

Read what you want to read, Vic. Don't bother reading the thread. You imagined that someone argued with you over this. No one did, least of all me. At no time did I write it was impossible to fix an NFL game. You imagine that, too.

Here is what you did, though. You refused to explain your claim that an NFL game could be *successfully* fixed, how that would be done. You refused to say how the Super Bowl audience could be bigger. That's what you ACTUALLY did not do, requiring no imagination or misreading. I specifically and simply asked you both these questions and you ignored them.

Once again answering *you* and not a word about the NFL playoffs. Amazing, worthy of a Double-D-Dusa medal.

I didn't answer because my initial comment about fixing the game was a harmless, not too serious comment. I didn't want to get into an indepth treatise on how to fix professional sports games. That's what YOU wanted to do. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lol. Are you truly that dense? I responded to you that the Raiders lost Denver their way into the playoffs. You didn't like that enough to quote it and respond to it twice :rolleyes: . I then told you why the Bronco's won their way into the playoffs via NFL rules. You didn't like that, go figure. I even asked you if we'd gotten to where you were stating your opinion rather than facts. You avoided that :hithead :wanker: . In total I've told you to move on from it three times, and now here you are 4 days later bringing it back up in response to a completely different issue. Holy crap Vic....which part of "Move on Vic" is giving you the most trouble? :dhorse

Now, do you care to actually reply to the post you completely avoided? If not, I'll take it as you admit you're wrong and have taken the tactic of simply wanting to bore me to death rather than trying to keep up........ :yawn:

Denver "won" whatever tie-breaker it took to win the division. I think it was common opponents because they split with Oakland in head-to-head games and they both had the same inter-division record (3-3). I honestly can't be bothered to go look it up. :wanker:

I hate the Donkeys and they lost their last 3 games, so I will continue to say they lost their way into the play-offs. You don't like that? Oh well. Life is full of disappointments. :sosad

What I actually said was he was trying to figure out a way to get Andrew Luck (pure speculation on my part) because it was obvious to most football people that Tebow isn't a starting QB in the NFL. Then Tebow pulled out a dramatic win vs the best defense in the AFC,

Yes, and I told you then that you were wrong, that Elway didn't have the guts (never mind the power) to do any such thing as go after Andrew Luck in any manner, for any reason, no matter what happened. It has NOTHING to do with the Pittsburgh game or the New England game or making it into the playoffs or a three-game losing streak either. The decision was made in November. Tebow in October and November made Elway look like a chump for starting the loser, Orton. Elway does not have the guts to respond to that. I told you that all along. You insisted that it was all about Luck.

I didn't answer because my initial comment about fixing the game was a harmless, not too serious comment. I didn't want to get into an indepth treatise on how to fix professional sports games. That's what YOU wanted to do.

Yeah right, Vic. I responded to your post. That's what you never want to happen, apparently. Dusa couldn't have done it better.

Oh. And Vic? Tebow is a starting quarterback in the NFL. So far, he is more successful than almost all other starting quarterbacks, as successful as Aaron Rodgers and more successful than Roethlesberger and he can't even see the famously unsuccessful Orton in his rear-view mirror. That is why he will be a starting quarterback next season too. Deal with it.

Edited by joekicker

so I will continue to say they lost their way into the play-offs.

Over and over and over and over and over again, while the rest of the world moved on about a week ago. You're a complete twit Vic.... :party :finger

You don't like that?

Do you want me to not like that?

Yes, and I told you then that you were wrong, that Elway didn't have the guts (never mind the power) to do any such thing as go after Andrew Luck in any manner, for any reason, no matter what happened.

Since "going after Luck" means pursuing him in the draft, which hasn't happened yet, you are wrong. It could still happen, though I personally think it's doubtful. Even if the Broncos were interested in getting Luck (and I think pretty much every team would like to have him), their chances are pretty slim.

That's just my opinion, of course. I'm not going to say they don't have the guts to do it, as you claim. I wouldn't say it couldn't happen in any manner or for any reason no matter what, as you state. All I said, after watching Tebow's pitiful performance of his duties as quarterback, is that I bet Elway would like to replace Tebow with Luck. I still believe that.

Even if you worked in the Broncos front office as Elway's assistant and were privy to their strategy for the up coming draft, you couldn't confidently state that the Broncos going after Luck couldn't happen "in any manner, for any reason, no matter what", because they still might change their mind on draft day.

Once again a reckless statement by JK. But wait, there's more to come . . .

You insisted that it was all about Luck.

No, I never said that anything was all about Luck. Please see above

Oh. And Vic? Tebow is a starting quarterback in the NFL. So far, he is more successful than almost all other starting quarterbacks, as successful as Aaron Rodgers and more successful than Roethlesberger and he can't even see the famously unsuccessful Orton in his rear-view mirror. That is why he will be a starting quarterback next season too. Deal with it.

:rotflmao

You know, another BM sent me a PM awhile back urging me to not feed the JK troll. When I read statements like the one above, I think he might be onto something. :eyecrazy

Tebow is more successful than Rodgers and Rothlesberger only in the very narrow sense of what they have each done in the past 3 weeks. This is similiar to someone saying Obama is a more successful President than Abraham Lincoln because he is alive right now and Lincoln is dead. In other words, it is a ridiculous statement

Vic, you ignorant slut.

The Bronco's won the seed regardless of your ignorance in the matter.

Are you truly that dense?

You're a complete twit Vic....

Like I said, you seem to be more interested in bashing me than discussing the issue. Why all the hate and anger? Just because I point out the fact that the Broncos lost their last 3 games before entering the play-offs? Does it really bother you that I constantly mention Denver's losing streak and how they backed into the play-offs? Maybe it's the fact that I call them the Donkeys that upsets you? Does the notion that all this press and attention they've received is unwarranted, undeserved, and unearned, does that make you so angry that you have to hurl insults at me?

I think you have issues, buzz. Maybe you should discuss this with your family physician. :nod

Tebow is more successful than Rodgers and Rothlesberger only in the very narrow sense of what they have each done in the past 3 weeks.

Is there some other measuring stick in the NFL than winning division, getting to playoffs, winning playoffs and winning Super Bowl? What else?

As I write FOUR QBs have achieved more this season than Tebow and FOUR teams have achieved more this season than the Broncos. In about two months, most people will only remember the ONE team and ONE QB who out-performed Tebow, even though four of them already have.

To put it another way, 24 teams and their quarterbacks failed to achieve what Tebow and the Broncos did this season. Four achieved more, and four equalled him. Members of 24 teams including their quarterbacks sat on the couch and WATCHED Tebow and the Broncos last weekend. Or maybe some of them curled up in a fetal position in a dark room, I don't know -- but they didn't play NFL football, did they?

How do YOU rank teams if you don't use this season-playoff system that everyone else does? You are really over the top, Vic, stuck somewhere or other where wins and losses just don't count because you personally don't want them to. The rest of us, that's how we count.

Like I said, you seem to be more interested in bashing me than discussing the issue.

While you don't bash at all, no way!! Even ignoring your juvenile name-calling.

Vic, note this: Everyone is out of step except you.

Edited by joekicker

Like I said, you seem to be more interested in bashing me than discussing the issue.

What else was there to discuss on that issue Vic? You stated your opinion, ad nauseam, I've stated mine (far more times than I deem necessarily to show my stance on the issue), yet you keep harping on it like it was going somewhere. It's like you can't comprehend that people can agree to disagree and go on with their lives and you seem to want it to bother me or something.

Seriously Vic, you're like my sister who just has to come back and re-argue things over and over again.....

Try responding to my reply regarding THE hot story if you want to actually discuss something rather than beating a dead horse with another dead horse..... :rolleyes:

Why all the hate and anger?

Lol. No hate, no anger Vic, just telling it like it is. That you'd try to play the junior psychology card is childish at best. But if that's what you're left with, so be it.

Obviously Joe, there is career success. Rodgers and Rothlesberger have been more successful at helping their team win NFL championships. They have rings and MVP awards. Their stats are ridiculously better than Tebow's. No comparison. Not even in the same ballpark. They are better quarterbacks than Tebow, much better, not even open for debate. Most of the quarterbacks in the league are better than Tebow . . . hell, most of the back-ups are better than Tebow.

Yet there stands Joe, all alone, with his little homemade "Tebow was more successful" sign. :soapbox:

Tebow was more successful at promoting a religion. He's got that on 'em. :bow

you keep harping on it like it was going somewhere. It's like you can't comprehend that people can agree to disagree and go on with their lives

We are obviously not communicating. :allright

I want to "agree to disagree", but you won't let it drop.

You say I should move on, but you also keep asking me to address topics you say I have ignored..

Which is? :clueless

So here I am, once again trying to steer the thread back to an NFL topic: Tebow's huge popularity.

The Media Matters website did a study on what topics the big TV news and opinion outlets covered in the past 3 months. Their goal was to show how the major news broadcasts had ignored the SOPA controversy. In that time period (roughly mid October thru mid January) there were 47 stories about the British Royal Family and 41 about Tim Tebow.

While listening to an ESPN radio show the other day the announcers agreed that Tebow was the biggest story so far of the 2011 season.

The latest stories about Tebow from the past 2 days:

- He was playing injured during much of the Patriots game and had to go to the hospital on Monday

- He turned down a request to be a color commentator for the AFC Championship game

- He could be a replacement player for the Pro Bowl game :wtf

Tebow-mania continues. :hairout

My official picks for this weekend - Giants over 49ers, Pats over Ravens

Edited by VicVegas

I want to "agree to disagree", but you won't let it drop.

You brought things up, I responded to them. A discussion/argument/whatever goes: Tit for tat. You being the tit, me being the tat. Not tit for tat for tit. In that case, it's just the tit carrying on. That explained..... :rolleyes:. I last responded to the original issue in post #103. You last re-responded to it in post #107. How are you with math Vic? :hithead

You say I should move on, but you also keep asking me to address topics you say I have ignored..

Which is? :clueless

The one you ignored Vic. That's my answer, so reply to that if you feel the need to continue to tit on, or.......move on. :leaving

would anyone like to post their picks for Sunday's games?

Posted mine more than seven weeks ago, last US Thanksgiving and there hasn't been a reason to change. Come Feb 5, Lucas Oil Stadium of Indianapolis will be World Central for Brotherly Love™ and the Super Bowl will be a rematch of the 49ers and Baltimore.

Posted mine more than seven weeks ago, last US Thanksgiving and there hasn't been a reason to change. Come Feb 5, Lucas Oil Stadium of Indianapolis will be World Central for Brotherly Love™ and the Super Bowl will be a rematch of the 49ers and Baltimore.

I'm mobile now, so hamstrung, but what's the betting line on the upcoming games?

I'm mobile now, so hamstrung, but what's the betting line on the upcoming games?

New England by 7, 50.5 points total

San Francisco by 2.5, 42 points.

Seems everybody likes Giants AND 49ers defence. New York is good but I will definitely take the 49ers on that side of the ball.

Reminder that game times are different this week. Both games are Monday Pattaya time at 0300 from Foxboro and 0630 in San Fran "Don't Call Us Frisco" Cisco.

Edited by joekicker

NE deserves the top billing. But dont count Baltimore out by any stretch. I was watching the Flaco fire and miss in the end zone but just knew he would connect,. 8 seconds left and he connects against the Steelers for the win. We are hoping for that kind of game.

A local note: Our Ravens quaterback was spotted skate boarding down his driveway by a neighbor. Neighbor calls the front office to complain "Were trying to win a Super Bowl here!"

See ya all in a few weeks.

My official picks for this weekend - Giants over 49ers, Pats over Ravens

I'll stick with Niners and Ravens

Further proof that Joe and Buzz . . . well, I guess there's no point in restating the obvious.

:grin

Further proof that Joe and Buzz . . . well, I guess there's no point in restating the obvious.

:grin

Stuck with their pics like real men do? :thumbup

I'll be boring and pick a Packers/Patriots Super Bowl.

I don't think the 49ers D can stop the Saints O, and there's no way their offense can score enough points to keep up with the Saints juggernaut. The Giants should be humbled by the Packer Express, though it should be the best game of the weekend. Packers/Saints in a barn burner NFC finale.

And then by the grace of your Lord, you got one right.

I think it's gonna be Pats vs Giants part 2 in the Super Bowl.

Not like you had a better average Vic....... :llaugh

• Upvote 1

My last post refers to our picks for the AFC and NFC championship games.

V V = 2-0

BB = 0-2

If you want to talk about the picks we made before the play-offs began, then I was 1-1 (Pats/Packers) and you were 0-2 (49ers/Ravens).

V V = 3-1

BB = 0-4

Add in my losses on Saints/49ers and Giants/Packers, and give you one for 49ers over Saints

V V = 3-3

BB = 1-4

And lets not forget my Denver picks. I was 1-1, so it's a wash Did you even make a pick in those games? :clueless

V V = 4-4

BB = 1-4

So I end up .500 and you end up .250

Looks like my average IS better than yours. :llaugh

Edited by VicVegas