Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Wired Internet to wireless

I should probably be asking this question in a "techie" forum but I'm not a member of any of them! So I'm hoping this is a problem someone here has encountered before and resolved.

When I come over next week I'll be bringing my iPad which is wifi only. But one of the hotels I'm staying at for a few days only has wired Internet access. Is there a "gadget" I can buy that I can stick the hotel Internet cable in to to create a wireless signal? Needs to be something I cam just plug in and go with as I won't have a pc to use to configure anything?

Cheers

I think you're going to need to carry a compact WAP (google "compact wireless routers", or just pay a quick visit to Best Buy or Fry's) device with you if the hotel doesn't have wireless internet. You can do the configuration and test connectivity at home on both the WAP and the iPad before you leave. It's not rocket science - most WAPs these days have quick setup wizards and workable default settings that're fine if you don't need special bells & whistles. Make sure you TEST the connectivity at home to make sure it's all working. The WAP is a good idea anyway since it provides a significant degree of protection for your end device.

(Most WAPs come with DHCP configured by default on the internet/wired interface which allows the WAP to pull its IP address from the host LAN without you're needing to know what it is or configure it. When you're doing the at-home configuration, don't mess with that, or if you DO need to configure it, just be sure it's set for DHCP or automated IP address on the internet interface.)

Edited by tomcat76

Yeap - nice example of a compact WAP. 'Looks ideal for travel IF you're going to be using it with a laptop. However, the technical details say it's intended to connect to a laptop via USB for power, and you said you wouldn't have a PC with you. Does the iPad have a powered USB port? (I know the iPod can GET power via its USB connector, but I don't think it can PROVIDE it to another device.) I don't think this WAP comes with an AC adapter, which I think you'll need.

Yeap - nice example of a compact WAP. 'Looks ideal for travel IF you're going to be using it with a laptop. However, the technical details say it's intended to connect to a laptop via USB for power, and you said you wouldn't have a PC with you. Does the iPad have a powered USB port? (I know the iPod can GET power via its USB connector, but I don't think it can PROVIDE it to another device.) I don't think this WAP comes with an AC adapter, which I think you'll need.

Use any $5 AC USB power adapter and problem solved.

I use the DLink portable travel router and it works in 3 modes, including a bridge and a wireless extender, plus an ethernet to wifi router of course.