Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Getting tiered of sophons poor service to the English speaking costumers. Whats a good alternative. The've even done away with the Pattaya news. Sophon IS CRAP

I read on Thai Visa the other day that some guy in Pattaya was selling his 2m mesh dish and Dreambox set up for Astro. I have no idea about the credentials of the service provider (keeping the dreambox configured) but Astro itself is pretty good. I think a couple of barowners must have it (or similar) to get the American sports. I'll see if I can find the ad again.

Edit in: There you go ... remember, caveat emptor!

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Getting tiered of sophons poor service to the English speaking costumers. Whats a good alternative. The've even done away with the Pattaya news. Sophon IS CRAP

What do you mean they have done away with the Pattaya News? After I retuned my TV last week I appear to have all the same channels I used to have.

Why do you say poor service to English speaking customers? I appear to have about 16 or 17 English channels, there are only more Thai ones.

Sophon costs 3000 baht/year, the satellite much more, and other than access to Prem League I have never seen anything else they offer of interest.

Satellite companies also require multiple boxes for multiple TVs.

Perhaps the slingbox arrangement with Sky (or wherever) would suit you better, you need a good internet connection, good luck with that!

Yeah I have pattaya people and pattaya mail still on my sophon. I grouped all the predominently english speaking channels together and I have around 15 of them.

Gotta love cable in Thailand. While channel surfing, you get a Thai soap opera, a Thai game show with a Thai guy screaming in a high piched tone, "Tammarai Khrup,"a 15 year old episode of Third Rock From The Sun dubbed in Thai, India TV, Howard Miller doing an infommercial of some farang housing development saying in his soft English accent"Only 10 million baht,"Russian Pattaya channel, a bad Steven Seagal movie dubbed in Thai, and a Stoke/Blackburn futbol match.

I have TRUE, and while its not cheap, I have no complaints about the quality or the service so far. If your stuck on paying 3k a year tho, forget about it lol. The silver package is 500 baht per month, and gold (which I have) is 1500 baht per month. There is a higher package with more sports, but I dont remember the price. Maybe 2k a month?

Anyway - for $45 a month (1500 baht) I cant complain.

Frosty

Hi,

As people have said, plenty of other options. Stop moaning about to few English progs. This is in Thailand, and they cater for Thai's,, and why not, if they throw in a few English progs. be thankful. How many progs. have U.K. got catering for other countries. I have True, With the progs. you can choose the audio, ie. English, Thai etc,.if you press the audio button and then select. But as in LOS it sometimes does not work. But i am happy.

Back home 6 years ago i was paying 45GBP's per month for Sky T.V., Over 2000B at todays ex. rate. i expect it costs more now.

The one eyed Budda strikes again.

Doolish I think you misunderstood the OP... Or I did perhaps. I read it as he is unhappy with the SERVICE for english speaking customers, and to that I can fully attest. I had them when I first moved to Thailand, and we had issues 2 times... both times I was given promises that were not fulfilled or just pushed off and told to expect a call back that never came. When I had a Thai friend call, the problem was fixed in hours. They are quite racist in their call center I think.

No such problems with True so far.

The few times I have needed to obtain service by Sophon, it has always happened quite efficiently.

Of course I get the TGF to call.

I doubt they employ both technically and English language proficient people to answer their phones.

You can normally manage with English if you go to the office.

Are True better in that respect?

Edited by jacko

True is much better so far. I have had to call twice, and both times the issue was fixed quickly - tho that was Internet, not TV... but same company, and same call center number, so it should be the same for both.

I never had a communication problem with Sophon... they always understood what the problem was... they just didnt fix it for a falang. every time I tried I got nothing. Then a Thai person calls and its fixed within hours. Seems a pretty cut and dried case to me, but... well who knows.

True is much better so far. I have had to call twice, and both times the issue was fixed quickly - tho that was Internet, not TV... but same company, and same call center number, so it should be the same for both.

I never had a communication problem with Sophon... they always understood what the problem was... they just didnt fix it for a falang. every time I tried I got nothing. Then a Thai person calls and its fixed within hours. Seems a pretty cut and dried case to me, but... well who knows.

I think it is more common in a lot of scenarios.

I have many many times, felt that the Thai customers get preferential treatment in restaurants.

I even had a case where I remonstrated in Tesco after the assistant seemed to ignore me and serve two Thai ladies who walked up after me (weigh and price tagging).

But perhaps there is another thread there.

I think it is more common in a lot of scenarios.

I have many many times, felt that the Thai customers get preferential treatment in restaurants.

I even had a case where I remonstrated in Tesco after the assistant seemed to ignore me and serve two Thai ladies who walked up after me (weigh and price tagging).

But perhaps there is another thread there.

That happened to me once, also in Tesco, south pattaya. I put my basket on the counter and walked out. She tried saying something (in thai), but I ignored her. That might have changed her opinions a bit, but somehow I doubt it. They want to be like that, they wont get money from me... period.

Hi,

Frostfire you are correct, Happened to me in Tesco's, also, though not in Pattaya, Only one checkout open, about 30 c/o's all together. A girl started to open a desk, so i thought, so i went to that. Was greeted with, sorry sir the girl is just training. I had a trolley full of goods, so i pointed to that and said you can start her training on that, and walked out. The bloke tried to stop me and said, you can't do that, i replied i just have, and the girl has learned her first lesson on how to restock shelfs.

Very seldom go to Tesco's now..

• Upvote 1

You can stream a good video/audio stream with a 1mb/s connection if that connection has a good path (low latency) to wherever the server is that is hosting the streamed content.