Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Driving licence renewal....

Well today was the day....renew from 1 year to 5 yr ...

Got there at 8am and there was about 30 or so people waiting outside (doors not open)

At 8.15 a lady came out and said renewals que on the left side and new applications que on the right - which got us about 6 from the front.....

At 8.30 they start the processing and we were ushered inside - waited about 10 mins then up stairs, gave my docs to a lady, paid the fee - 5 mins later my named called and photo taken - back to waiting room for 5 mins, then called to collect new licences...

No colour blindness or any other tests for that matter..

While i was doing this my bird got the road tax for the car and the scooter......

Was out the door with my 2 five year licences and 2 new tax discs, and on my way, just before 9am.........

Result in anyones book......

Hi all,MY licence,car and Bike (1 year) ran out last year as I was not in Thailand to renew it,Can I just get a 5 year licence when I go in May/June this year ot must I start again with another 1 year licence.Also what paper work do I need to get a new 5 year licence ,thanks.

Hi all,MY licence,car and Bike (1 year) ran out last year as I was not in Thailand to renew it,Can I just get a 5 year licence when I go in May/June this year ot must I start again with another 1 year licence.Also what paper work do I need to get a new 5 year licence ,thanks.

Presumably, you mean licences, and not licence. As for documentation (for each licence), a non-immigrant visa for starters, certificates of residency, medical certificates, old licences. I would opt for two originals of the residence and medical certificates. They may not be required at any given LTD office on any given day, but you'll be pissed-off if they are and you don't have them.

If the license has not been expired for one year you can get a 5 yr. license. Over 1 yr. start over.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I need to apply for my licence next week, can anybody advise where I have to get the medical cert. Will any clinic do or do I need an examination at hospital ? What would be the cost of this? Also can anyone help with the location and directions to LTD Office. Many Thanks

I need to apply for my licence next week, can anybody advise where I have to get the medical cert.

Anywhere. My advice is to look for one of those shingles they hang out streetside for VD and such, go in, give them 300 baht (probably) and get the letter that breath was detected. This is NOT a serious matter.

Dr Belem, just up from the Bangkok bank. Head down second, turn right at the bank (just before soi 6/1)... about 50m on the right. Last one I did was 100 baht.

The place to get the licence is on Rt 36. Down Sukhumvit to the 36 junction, right turn towards Rayong. Up there just before the Regents school and the motorway junction (Rt 7), on right side. If you are driving take the first U-Turn after the school, come back, pass the school then it is first left.

Edited by jacko

My 5 year license is up in April,do i have to have another colour blind,and reaction test.I know i will need the medical certification and residency letter from Immigration

Not sure you need the medical certificate... I hear of people renewing without it.

This is the list off the Expats Club Site, I suppose it is best to have everything.

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

1. Passport + 1 signed copy of each - (a) 'face' page, ( B) non-immigration visa page, © current TM6 card & latest entry stamp page.

2. Photos are no longer required as they use digital photo images engraved on a hard 'credit-card' style permit. Ladies - please note that you must have your shoulders covered for official photos.

3. Letter of 'Fit-to-drive' from Doctor - 200 baht (must be less than 30 days old).

4. 1 residence certificate from Pattaya Immigration (dated within 30 days of renewal).

5. Money 665 (500+55) baht for car - 365 baht for motor-cycle.

6. Your old Thai driving license(s).

(A 'TM6 card' refers to the Immigration Departure card attached to your passport during your stay in Thailand. It has a reference number (TM6) that tells where & when you entered Thailand)

(The letter of 'Fit-to-drive' from a Doctor is again required)

I transferred my residence stuff from an old passport into a new one recently... had all these copies and the form all filled in... they didn't want any of that crap. Just took the 2 passports and told me to come back tomorrow after 10, all done and free..... just too easy sometimes!

Edited by jacko

Not sure you need the medical certificate... I hear of people renewing without it.

This is the list off the Expats Club Site, I suppose it is best to have everything.

1. Passport + 1 signed copy of each - (a) 'face' page, ( B) non-immigration visa page, © current TM6 card & latest entry stamp page.

2. Photos are no longer required as they use digital photo images engraved on a hard 'credit-card' style permit. Ladies - please note that you must have your shoulders covered for official photos.

3. Letter of 'Fit-to-drive' from Doctor - 200 baht (must be less than 30 days old).

4. 1 residence certificate from Pattaya Immigration (dated within 30 days of renewal).

6. Your old Thai driving license(s).

(A 'TM6 card' refers to the Immigration Departure card attached to your passport during your stay in Thailand. It has a reference number (TM6) that tells where & when you entered Thailand)

I transferred my residence stuff from an old passport into a new one recently... had all these copies and the form all filled in... they didn't want any of that crap. Just took the 2 passports and told me to come back tomorrow after 10, all done and free..... just too easy sometimes!

Ay up Jacko,thanks for that but what about taking the test again,and if so,what does one do for the renewal,same as when applying for the original 1 year license????

Ay up Jacko,thanks for that but what about taking the test again,and if so,what does one do for the renewal,same as when applying for the original 1 year license????

Actually I haven't renewed my 5 year yet...... due this year sometime methinks.

When I renewed my 1 year (to a 5 year) I don't recall doing anything!

Dr Belem, just up from the Bangkok bank. Head down second, turn right at the bank (just before soi 6/1)... about 50m on the right. Last one I did was 100 baht.

The place to get the licence is on Rt 36. Down Sukhumvit to the 36 junction, right turn towards Rayong. Up there just before the Regents school and the motorway junction (Rt 7), on right side. If you are driving take the first U-Turn after the school, come back, pass the school then it is first left.

Many thanks, I shall venture over there tomorrow

From 1 yr to 5 as we've pointed out above you don't do any of the tests.

Only 1 residence Cert was needed for my 2 licences but they did take both Doctors letters.

Make sure there are no errors changed on the Doctors letter because they wont accept them. I had to get mine re written because the Clinic wrote down 2554 for the year instead of 2555 then changed the 4 to a 5.

Other than that it is quick and easy.

From 1 yr to 5 as we've pointed out above you don't do any of the tests.

Only 1 residence Cert was needed for my 2 licences but they did take both Doctors letters.

Make sure there are no errors changed on the Doctors letter because they wont accept them. I had to get mine re written because the Clinic wrote down 2554 for the year instead of 2555 then changed the 4 to a 5.

Other than that it is quick and easy.

Yes, but do you have to take the tests again for a 5 year license renewal? I think that's what bratpack was saying. If not, then that is my question, since I have a 5 year coming up for renewal.

Yes, but do you have to take the tests again for a 5 year license renewal? I think that's what bratpack was saying. If not, then that is my question, since I have a 5 year coming up for renewal.

No you dont, its just a re newal of the license

Well today was the day....renew from 1 year to 5 yr ...

Got there at 8am and there was about 30 or so people waiting outside (doors not open)

At 8.15 a lady came out and said renewals que on the left side and new applications que on the right - which got us about 6 from the front.....

At 8.30 they start the processing and we were ushered inside - waited about 10 mins then up stairs, gave my docs to a lady, paid the fee - 5 mins later my named called and photo taken - back to waiting room for 5 mins, then called to collect new licences...

No colour blindness or any other tests for that matter..

While i was doing this my bird got the road tax for the car and the scooter......

Was out the door with my 2 five year licences and 2 new tax discs, and on my way, just before 9am.........

Result in anyones book......

Wish mine was as straight forward.

Got all the relevant documents, ended up using a clinic called Somnuek near soi 12, Pattaya Klang (100 baht) just show passport, pay money and in and out within 5 mins no examination of any kind.

I arrived at LTD office at 9.40am, I just wanted the motorbike licence, as I never drive here. Naively I thought my UK driving licence might be enough to get me the Motorbike one, but boy was I wrong. The girl at the front desk said I could get a car licence and change it to a motorbike one later, which I found a bit weird but afterall TIT .

To do this though, she said I needed two sets of documents, so I went accross the road, photocopied them all and proceeded to the next desk where, after a half hour wait they checked them again. I was then sent upstairs to take the colour blindenss, visual and reaction tests with about 40 other people

At about 11.30am, I paid my dues had the photo done and they gave me the car licence. Not too bad I thought, I'll just change it to a motorbike licence another day as I was a bit hungry. Then the lady says come back in one hour to watch a video. So I had to wait around for an hour then went back to watch a rather pointless video (in Thai), with a woman explaining what the video was about (in Thai) for over an hour.

Then I had to take the 'ride the motorbike test' and it just so happened the heavens opened up as I was waiting, and I resembled a drowned rat.

Back upstairs, dripping wet and the touch screen test was next. Passed that and paid up again, had my photo done and finally was given my licence at 3pm !

OK so now I have a car & a motorbike licence, not really what I wanted, and it took over 5 hours !!!!!

I just hope the renewal will be a slightly better experience and go as smoothly as your renewal did.

Wish mine was as straight forward.

Got all the relevant documents, ended up using a clinic called Somnuek near soi 12, Pattaya Klang (100 baht) just show passport, pay money and in and out within 5 mins no examination of any kind.

I arrived at LTD office at 9.40am, I just wanted the motorbike licence, as I never drive here. Naively I thought my UK driving licence might be enough to get me the Motorbike one, but boy was I wrong. The girl at the front desk said I could get a car licence and change it to a motorbike one later, which I found a bit weird but afterall TIT .

To do this though, she said I needed two sets of documents, so I went accross the road, photocopied them all and proceeded to the next desk where, after a half hour wait they checked them again. I was then sent upstairs to take the colour blindenss, visual and reaction tests with about 40 other people

At about 11.30am, I paid my dues had the photo done and they gave me the car licence. Not too bad I thought, I'll just change it to a motorbike licence another day as I was a bit hungry. Then the lady says come back in one hour to watch a video. So I had to wait around for an hour then went back to watch a rather pointless video (in Thai), with a woman explaining what the video was about (in Thai) for over an hour.

Then I had to take the 'ride the motorbike test' and it just so happened the heavens opened up as I was waiting, and I resembled a drowned rat.

Back upstairs, dripping wet and the touch screen test was next. Passed that and paid up again, had my photo done and finally was given my licence at 3pm !

OK so now I have a car & a motorbike licence, not really what I wanted, and it took over 5 hours !!!!!

I just hope the renewal will be a slightly better experience and go as smoothly as your renewal did.

Do you actually have a UK motorcycle licence or not? Sounds to me like you only have the car licence!

Do you actually have a UK motorcycle licence or not? Sounds to me like you only have the car licence!

No Jacko, I don't have a UK motorbike licence and yes I do have a UK car licence.

From original post : "Naively I thought my UK driving licence might be enough to get me the Motorbike one"

I don't know why, but stupidly I thought the car licence would be adequate to get me the motorbike licence here in Thailand and speed up the process in the meantime.

Now I know I was wrong.

No Jacko, I don't have a UK motorbike licence and yes I do have a UK car licence.

From original post : "Naively I thought my UK driving licence might be enough to get me the Motorbike one"

I don't know why, but stupidly I thought the car licence would be adequate to get me the motorbike licence here in Thailand and speed up the process in the meantime.

Now I know I was wrong.

Well what you highlighted didn't really make it absolutely clear. But to be honest it seems strange to even expect Thailand to give you a motorcycle licence when you have not qualified to drive a motorcycle (note it would allow you to ride the big bikes too). I have motorcycle and car listed on my UK one and it was easy, I obtained both Thai licences the same day, with only the reaction and depth perception tests. All is well that ends well. Edited by jacko

I had lost my license sometime ago and finially got around to do something about it. First up, police report. Sent GF to police station with passport. She came back with report, ready to sign. Next, doctors letter. We did this on the way to get license, about 10:00am. Just stop by any medical clinic and ask for driver license physical. Arrived, stop to make copies. (We also updated vehicle tax, 2 birds.) All done time to get in line. Same process as everyone else. No test, straight to picture. All done and back in Pattaya be 11:30. If one has all necessary documents everything goes much easier. If you do not have a correct document they will turn you away. Do not argue, just go get what they want. :smile:

• 1 month later...

6. Your old Thai driving license(s). And copy of both sides of each license!

Went in today, and the only thing I didn't have was the front/back copy of each driving license. Across the street to make one, and that, plus items above were all needed, with the exception of the Fit To Drive doctor's certificate.

This was for a 5 year renewal.

By the way, I got there about 1:30 (must be there before 2pm they said), and was out by about 3:30pm. We had to watch a 1 hour video in Thai with English subtitles that tried to explain why driving like a typical Thai driver was dangerous :P