Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hello,

Been a member now for a few months, regularly reading the forum for updates and the like. Now its fast approaching till I jet off to Thailand for the first time, (15th Jan) and looking for a little bit of guidence.

We arrive on 16th at lunch time and spending 3 nights in Bangkok before traveling down to Pattaya for a week.

I have £500 english changed into bhat and have another £1000 that I'm not really sure what to do with. I was thinking travelers cheques as then at least if you lose them or they are stolen then your covered. However I'm not sure how easy it is to change travelers while in Thailand, another option is to leave this in the bank, however with 2.9% transaction fee and a lower exchange rate from my bank not to mention any ATM charges kind of rules that out. Which would leave bringing cash, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with carry large amounts with me. Your oppinions please?

Also, the two hotels are booked and paid for meaning my £1500 is purely for spends. Being releastic is this enough for 10 nights in Thailand to enjoy the 'culture'? I think this works out about 8000bhat per day.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Junk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say that changing the 500 GBP into Thai Baht in your home country was probably the most costly monetary transaction you'll make on the trip.   Travellers Checks are fine. Get them in the largest

??   He's saying that for those from the USA, $100 TCs are the highest denomination that is easily obtainable....and he likes those (as I do). I once inquired about higher denominations, and was tol

My 0.25 baht worth.   If you do decide to take the £1000 cash with you make sure the hotel you are staying in has an IN ROOM safe!!!

8000 baht/day buys enough fun to turn your hair white before you're 30. Much of the expense depends on your drinking habits - and how liberal you are with ladydrinks.

I agree carrying around a lot of cash is unwise. Traveler's Checks are fine. The only downside is you must present your passport each time to change money. Personally, I prefer ATM withdrawals. The fees are not a big deal - especially considering you're only going on a 10-day trip (btw, try for 3-4 weeks next time).

Use Credit Cards as emergency backup. And to avoid security problems, you must contact both the Credit Card and ATM issuers 3 days prior to your trip to tell them where you will be using the cards

Hello,

Been a member now for a few months, regularly reading the forum for updates and the like. Now its fast approaching till I jet off to Thailand for the first time, (15th Jan) and looking for a little bit of guidence.

We arrive on 16th at lunch time and spending 3 nights in Bangkok before traveling down to Pattaya for a week.

I have £500 english changed into bhat and have another £1000 that I'm not really sure what to do with. I was thinking travelers cheques as then at least if you lose them or they are stolen then your covered. However I'm not sure how easy it is to change travelers while in Thailand, another option is to leave this in the bank, however with 2.9% transaction fee and a lower exchange rate from my bank not to mention any ATM charges kind of rules that out. Which would leave bringing cash, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with carry large amounts with me. Your oppinions please?

Also, the two hotels are booked and paid for meaning my £1500 is purely for spends. Being releastic is this enough for 10 nights in Thailand to enjoy the 'culture'? I think this works out about 8000bhat per day.

Junk

That is plenty for spends and you will have a good time on that budget, i recommend you bring the cash with you, changing travelers cheques can be a pain sometimes, they change cash every were in Pattaya and there are plenty of money change booths all over the place. You will have a great time, try to get on a bar crawl if you can

Don,t change any money until you get to Bangkok as there or hundreds of money exchange places on all the main streets,you will get close to 48-49baht to a pound (today) 8000 baht a day should give you adequate funds for a girl each day 3000baht max leaving you 5k a day for food drinks transport etc Where are you staying in Pattaya? I know someone will point out that 3k a day is far to much for a girl but my figure is a guide.You will have a great time, if you want to send me a private message with any info you want i will gladly oblige

I have £500 english changed into bhat and have another £1000 that I'm not really sure what to do with.

Junk

My 0.25 baht worth.

If you do decide to take the £1000 cash with you make sure the hotel you are staying in has an IN ROOM safe!!!

• Upvote 1

I'd say that changing the 500 GBP into Thai Baht in your home country was probably the most costly monetary transaction you'll make on the trip.

Travellers Checks are fine. Get them in the largest denominations you can, change them with a passport (not a problem since you can do it virtually anywhere you are staying).

I wouldn't advise you to bring large amounts of cash...TC's are the way to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

But not to change any money into bhat before travelling, what do you do for taxi's etc once you get there?

I think I'll go with the travelers cheques, what is the largest denominations available?

The appartments we have in Bangkok have an in room safe, however where we are staying in Pattaya only have reception safes. Are these still 'safe'?

Thanks

Once you have cleared customs and collected your baggage head to level 1 outside and get a metered taxi.http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

It would help if you have a print out of the hotel address and phone number just in case the driver cannot find it.

I think the biggest value tc you can get is £200 but it depends on where you order them from. Reception safes are fine I have never had an issue.

I would use Mr T taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya search the travel section for the details

where we are staying in Pattaya only have reception safes. Are these still 'safe'?

Thanks

We never stay in hotels with no in room safes but im sure reception safes are fine.

We don't agree with our valuables being in control of the hotel owners with reception safes (ok in room safes are i suppose in control of the hotel) but if anything goes missing from an in room safe at least you know the hotel owners are responsible.

Reception safes on the other hand could be open to outside attacks!!!

I always bring all my spending money in cash. I just keep most of it in the safe. When I run low on baht I usually exchange $4-600 at a time. Watch your pockets at all times, especially if you feel someone bumps into you. I usually wear cargo shorts with either zippered or buttoned pockets so its not easy to reach in.

Lots of good information here it is really up to you. I've gone both ways

travelers check and cash. I preferr cash only with an in room safe.

I take my "allowance" for the day and change it it for bhat. If I have any

left from the night before I stash it in a seperate envelope for a

bigger party night or something I really really need. I only use hotels

that have in room safes. PM me if you like some recomendations.

Most of all have a great trip

Thanks

Bobshere

:lsmile

Thanks for the replies.

But not to change any money into bhat before travelling, what do you do for taxi's etc once you get there?

I think I'll go with the travelers cheques, what is the largest denominations available?

The appartments we have in Bangkok have an in room safe, however where we are staying in Pattaya only have reception safes. Are these still 'safe'?

Thanks

When you arrive at the airport.....there are money changing booths...so just change enough for your initial expenses.

Any time there are flights coming into Bangkok, the airport money exchangers are open and the rate is much better than what you get in the UK. There are some in the baggage claim area and just outside after you clear customs. Just make sure to get one 1000 baht note changed into ten 100 baht notes. You may need small change before you get to the hotel. Have a great trip.

Hello,

Junk

You have been a member for a few months reading and yet still changed £500 into baht in the UK?

Sorry but you would have done better changing that on arrival.

There is also a 150 baht surcharge here for using a foreign ATM card on top of what your UK bank charges... so travellers cheques isn't a bad idea, in £.

Cash is a worry, your Bangkok hotel may not have an in room safe.

The main advantage of the in room safe is that when you arrive back in the room with your dish of the day, it's simple to put any cash/cameras/cards etc in the safe while she is in the shower. that way there will be no misunderstandings/thefts. Most girls can be trusted but you may hit on a wrongun.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

I like $100 TC's, not sure what is available in the UK. There are exchanges at the airport in BKK, cash one TC there and you will have enough for taxi, food and such for the day. Cash two if you want to have money to go out on later in the evening.

Personally, I prefer reception safes, depending on how their system works. Most of the in room safes are not safe, and easily opened. The better hotels have good in room safes, but most guest house, and low to midrange hotels all use a cheap electronic safe that is easy to open. There are even instructions on how to open them on youtube. Not that anyone needs to post them.

One last thing. I would recommend newbies to go right to Pattaya, and save BKK until the last three days of your trip. BKK is big, intimidating, can cause culture shock, and full of scammers. Time in Pattaya will get you ready for BKK. You will feel more comfortable, and have some experience under your belt before going to BKK.

I usually bring a decent amount of cash $1,500-$2000 and put it in the room safe , I then cash it in 300-400 amounts every second day or so, when that runs out i then use my ATM card (The fees in Australia can be quite high $13.50 per transaction) so i usually withdraw 20,000baht at a time and then put it in my room safe i usually go out at night with 5,000 baht on me

8000 baht a day is a good amount for a first time, no doubt you'll want to buy a heap of junk and probably pay overs on a few things so youll be able to have a real good time on that amount.

Edited by nus01

I like $100 TC's, not sure what is available in the UK.

Don't talk daft....... why on earth would he want to get $100 TCs.

He would have to pay commission to change currency....twice.

Yes they are available but normally for people going to the USA.

Edited by jacko
  • Downvote 1

Don't talk daft....... why on earth would he want to get $100 TCs.

He would have to pay commission to change currency....twice.

Yes they are available but normally for people going to the USA.

??

He's saying that for those from the USA, $100 TCs are the highest denomination that is easily obtainable....and he likes those (as I do). I once inquired about higher denominations, and was told they'd have to special order them or something leading to a delay.

The thrust of the reply is that one should get the highest denomination available in your country in order to minimize commissions.

Nothing daft about that, is there?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

??

He's saying that for those from the USA, $100 TCs are the highest denomination that is easily obtainable....and he likes those (as I do). I once inquired about higher denominations, and was told they'd have to special order them or something leading to a delay.

The thrust of the reply is that one should get the highest denomination available in your country in order to minimize commissions.

Nothing daft about that, is there?

Sorry, I don't read minds so well. Thanks for helping out.

USD and Euro TC's are available in the UK. Lovedog seems to suggest to the OP to encash a $100 TC on arrival. I recommend a £100 one.

Better not to confuse the issue with mention of $US.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

The US $500 TCs are readily available at American Express offices. AAA offices also usually have them on hand (AAA members get Amex TCs without the 2% fee). But if you get TCs through a bank, especially a smaller branch bank in a neighborhood without much international traffic, the bank may have to order the $500 ones. It won't take more than 1-2 days and you can call the bank to order them.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

The US $500 TCs are readily available at American Express offices. AAA offices also usually have them on hand (AAA members get Amex TCs without the 2% fee). But if you get TCs through a bank, especially a smaller branch bank in a neighborhood without much international traffic, the bank may have to order the $500 ones. It won't take more than 1-2 days and you can call the bank to order them.

Evil

:devil

Yes, I think that was the gist of what they were saying. I couldn't be bothered going to an AMEX office to save a few baht on the exchange fees/commissions. At some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in when counting satang.

Sorry, I don't read minds so well. Thanks for helping out.

USD and Euro TC's are available in the UK. Lovedog seems to suggest to the OP to encash a $100 TC on arrival. I recommend a £100 one.

Better not to confuse the issue with mention of $US.

jacko, really now. You don't have to read minds here. Reading what he wrote without trying to read more into it might be helpful tho.

I think you might be getting cabin fever from avoiding the high season crowding. Get out, live a little :P

• Upvote 1