Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Sorry, I don't read minds so well. Thanks for helping out.

USD and Euro TC's are available in the UK. Lovedog seems to suggest to the OP to encash a $100 TC on arrival. I recommend a £100 one.

Better not to confuse the issue with mention of $US.

FFS :banghead

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say that changing the 500 GBP into Thai Baht in your home country was probably the most costly monetary transaction you'll make on the trip.   Travellers Checks are fine. Get them in the largest

??   He's saying that for those from the USA, $100 TCs are the highest denomination that is easily obtainable....and he likes those (as I do). I once inquired about higher denominations, and was tol

My 0.25 baht worth.   If you do decide to take the £1000 cash with you make sure the hotel you are staying in has an IN ROOM safe!!!

Hello,

Been a member now for a few months, regularly reading the forum for updates and the like. Now its fast approaching till I jet off to Thailand for the first time, (15th Jan) and looking for a little bit of guidence.

We arrive on 16th at lunch time and spending 3 nights in Bangkok before traveling down to Pattaya for a week.

I have £500 english changed into bhat and have another £1000 that I'm not really sure what to do with. I was thinking travelers cheques as then at least if you lose them or they are stolen then your covered. However I'm not sure how easy it is to change travelers while in Thailand, another option is to leave this in the bank, however with 2.9% transaction fee and a lower exchange rate from my bank not to mention any ATM charges kind of rules that out. Which would leave bringing cash, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with carry large amounts with me. Your oppinions please?

Also, the two hotels are booked and paid for meaning my £1500 is purely for spends. Being releastic is this enough for 10 nights in Thailand to enjoy the 'culture'? I think this works out about 8000bhat per day.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Junk

Personally I never use travellers cheques. Cant be bothered taking my passsport out of the safe. I change about £200 at BKK airport (its too expensive for more. Then another £500 when I get to Pattaya or Phuket etc. For Extra money, I used to use a Nationwide Flexiaccount but now they charge for withdrawls so I have a Halifax Clarity credit card now which doesnt. I always carry at least 3 credit and 2 debit cards and keep them in different locations. At night I only take one of each at most out with me. i insist onb a hotel having a modern electronic room safe.

I am sure you will have a good time on 8000bht a day. I usually spend similar amount but I have a girl who meets me at the airport and leaves me there and I dont bar fine. However she eats alot !!

Hi Junkbot,

I have just come back from Pattaya,

I took £200 cash and changed some at the airport after getting off the plane, no problem.

I took American express £200 pound sterling travellers cheques, these are best for us but some banks charge a fee to get sterling cheques because they make

no commission on changing your money into Dollars/Euros, I used LLoyds bank(who i bank with) for those and brought through the travel hotline and pick up from my branch which

gives no surcharge for sterling cheques.http://www.lloydstsb.com/travel_main_page.asp

I also took my halifax clarity card and my new Sainsbury's gold credit cardhttp://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/credit_cards/cca_gold_card_home_tab.shtml?source=NETNAVICARDCLDATA0006 which gives

a bloody good rate, interest free until payment date even on cash withdrawals overseas and i pay the £5 per month for worldwide travel insurance which comes with it.

Not sure i would trust a room safe or a reception safe with £1000, youtube has videos of how to open room safes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzPKedl95U

Enjoy your trip, i had an amazingly great time (again)

Hi Junkbot,

I have just come back from Pattaya,

I took £200 cash and changed some at the airport after getting off the plane, no problem.

I took American express £200 pound sterling travellers cheques, these are best for us but some banks charge a fee to get sterling cheques because they make

no commission on changing your money into Dollars/Euros, I used LLoyds bank(who i bank with) for those and brought through the travel hotline and pick up from my branch which

gives no surcharge for sterling cheques.http://www.lloydstsb...l_main_page.asp

I also took my halifax clarity card and my new Sainsbury's gold credit cardhttp://www.sainsbury...ICARDCLDATA0006 which gives

a bloody good rate, interest free until payment date even on cash withdrawals overseas and i pay the £5 per month for worldwide travel insurance which comes with it.

Not sure i would trust a room safe or a reception safe with £1000, youtube has videos of how to open room safes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzPKedl95U

Enjoy your trip, i had an amazingly great time (again)

There was another thread about these safes being opened with a potato......!

I would never use in room safes......You're giving cleaners complete access to it and some will be far from stupid.

Only used them once for an entire trip at some apartments up Soi Buakow in Jan 2008......Everyday I went out I was concerned what I mind find on return.

Far better to have a two key system box at reception such as at the Flipper Lodge...

Edited by chatkeow

This not for the op but some of you are long time travels and you don't have a Thai ATM card.

This not for the op but some of you are long time travels and you don't have a Thai ATM card.

To get the ATM card they would need a letter of residence from immigration to open the bank account first and im not sure if they could get such a letter based on the visa on arrival (30 day stamp). For those who do have a non imigrant visa, opening a Thai bank account is a great idea. Good point Aussiechic :thumbup

• Downvote 1

To get the ATM card they would need a letter of residence from immigration to open the bank account first and im not sure if they could get such a letter based on the visa on arrival (30 day stamp). For those who do have a non imigrant visa, opening a Thai bank account is a great idea. Good point Aussiechic :thumbup

Just need a passport, business card from your hotel as an address and a Thai phone number. All done in about 20 mins they issue the card there and take you out show you how to use the card and put in your own pin number. You get a Thai phone sim card for your own phone or buy a cheap phone there. We have taken a few old phones with us to IT Com and if locked they unlock them and set up with a new sim. The only one they couldn't unlock was Telstra and he gave it a good go some deal with Thailand they can't unlock.

Edited by aussiechic
  • Upvote 1

Opening a Thai account is certainly a good option if staying for a while or carrying a large amount of cash. If the first bank won't do it, find another until they do. Most will. No visa required.

As for the safes, I agree that the reception one is probably a safer option. The only caveat is to make sure you are aware if there are restrictions on the access hours. Some of the places in town only allow the keys during certain times of the day. So you would not be able to access your box overnight. I remember Flipper in Soi 8 having this practice and a mate not being able to access all his valuables to depart middle of the night. Quite a bit of drama that was.

• Upvote 1

Just need a passport, business card from your hotel as an address and a Thai phone number. All done in about 20 mins they issue the card there and take you out show you how to use the card and put in your own pin number. You get a Thai phone sim card for your own phone or buy a cheap phone there. We have taken a few old phones with us to IT Com and if locked they unlock them and set up with a new sim. The only one they couldn't unlock was Telstra and he gave it a good go some deal with Thailand they can't unlock.

Could i ask you when you last did this?

Could i ask you when you last did this?

We did ours Aug 2010 and our friend did his in Feb 2011 at Kasikorn Bank The Avenues.

We did ours Aug 2010 and our friend did his in Feb 2011 at Kasikorn Bank The Avenues.

Thanks for that, i think this could start as a whole new topic and inform others about opening a bank account in Pattaya, it never used to be that easy. Good on ya for sharing this

There was another thread about these safes being opened with a potato......!

I would never use in room safes......You're giving cleaners complete access to it and some will be far from stupid.

Only used them once for an entire trip at some apartments up Soi Buakow in Jan 2008......Everyday I went out I was concerned what I mind find on return.

Far better to have a two key system box at reception such as at the Flipper Lodge...

I can see the point about room safes but I have used them without problems for 20 years.

The only time there was a problem (luckily my safe wasnt involved) was at Munchies in Samui about 12 years ago when a number of residents had money taken from their safes at reception in fact they cleaned out about 8 of them. These had a two key system, its not foolproof as other keys are available and it only takes two members of staff or one in some cases. They just took as much as they could get an ran. !!! Girl and her boyfriend.!! So to think cleaners are worse than reception staff is a bit unwise.

My money is eaither on me in the safe or in a credit or debit card. i think i have it covered. The best rule is dont leave your eggs in one basket and dont change money at home. The offshore rate is much lower than the onshore rate in LOS.

Personally I never use travellers cheques. Cant be bothered taking my passsport out of the safe. I change about £200 at BKK airport (its too expensive for more. Then another £500 when I get to Pattaya or Phuket etc. For Extra money, I used to use a Nationwide Flexiaccount but now they charge for withdrawls so I have a Halifax Clarity credit card now which doesnt. I always carry at least 3 credit and 2 debit cards and keep them in different locations. At night I only take one of each at most out with me. i insist onb a hotel having a modern electronic room safe.

I am sure you will have a good time on 8000bht a day. I usually spend similar amount but I have a girl who meets me at the airport and leaves me there and I dont bar fine. However she eats alot !!

Just remember most of the atms charge 150bht per transaction for all foreign credit or debit cards

Just remember most of the atms charge 150bht per transaction for all foreign credit or debit cards

Yes they do but its a small price to pay as its only once or twice. The cost of a beer. Everything has a charge. To me this is the best option and gives great flexibility with travellers cheques etc if you have any left its all hasstle. Not to mention the trip with your passport etc.

Edited by alphacat

On my trips to BKK / Pattaya I have always used plastic to raise funds as I wouldn’t feel comfortable carrying a large amount of cash. Initially a Nationwide debit card which, at that time, didn’t charge commission for foreign deals. When Nationwide started charging commission I switched to using credit cards, usually pre-loading a couple of hundred quid - i.e. paying £200 more than I owed. The interest on a ‘no foreign charges’ credit card, say a Halifax Clarity, is typically 12% per year, so 1% per month. So if you pay it off in full as soon as you return to the UK a £1000 advance will typically cost around £5 over a fortnight. Also, you can get round the 150 baht ATM charge by going into a bank with your credit card and passport. It’s up to you if this additional hassle is worth saving around £3 per £200 cash advance.

You can even estimate how much you will spend and set up regular pre-loading payments (maybe £200 every four days?) from your bank account to your credit card, although, as I say, £1000 will only cost £5 interest over a fortnight.

Incidentally, I always take more than one ‘no foreign charges’ card just in case of problems, but in ten years of visits haven’t had to resort to a back-up card. Also, I NEVER take cards out on evening expeditions, although, again in ten years I would never have had a problem if I had – i.e. I have always returned to base camp with my wallet.

Picking up on the other point in your post, I also start and end my trips to the LoS with a couple of days in BKK. This is partly because I don’t think I could face a long taxi ride after 15+ hours travelling from the UK, and also because there is so much to see and do in BKK by day and there is Nana and Cowboy by night.

My usual format on leaving the airport is to taxi into town check in at the hotel and then off to a soapie…

Final general advice:

Be careful, as you would in any foreign country - although personally I feel safer in BKK than I do in many UK cities, especially late at night.

Have a good time, but don’t get too drunk as that can defeat the objective of the trip.

Start planning your next trip ASAP. I’ll be amazed if you, like any bloke from the UK, goes to the LoS only once.

I think you might be getting cabin fever from avoiding the high season crowding. Get out, live a little :P

You might just be right there. But now I have house guests! Not the type to come maul with me though.

Hello,

Been a member now for a few months, regularly reading the forum for updates and the like. Now its fast approaching till I jet off to Thailand for the first time, (15th Jan) and looking for a little bit of guidence.

We arrive on 16th at lunch time and spending 3 nights in Bangkok before traveling down to Pattaya for a week.

I have £500 english changed into bhat and have another £1000 that I'm not really sure what to do with. I was thinking travelers cheques as then at least if you lose them or they are stolen then your covered. However I'm not sure how easy it is to change travelers while in Thailand, another option is to leave this in the bank, however with 2.9% transaction fee and a lower exchange rate from my bank not to mention any ATM charges kind of rules that out. Which would leave bringing cash, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with carry large amounts with me. Your oppinions please?

Also, the two hotels are booked and paid for meaning my £1500 is purely for spends. Being releastic is this enough for 10 nights in Thailand to enjoy the 'culture'? I think this works out about 8000bhat per day.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Junk

look mate i would not come to pattaya because there is baaaaaaaaaaaad ladies here that will fondle ya crutch area without asking first,and they drink those LDs real quick.

and they will go with anybody! dirty little loveable buggers,SHIT junk i am jealous you having your virgin trip,shit you will remember your 1st time for the rest of ya life.

8000bht a day will get you sucked, fucked like there is no tomorrow :bhappy :a2m

enjoy yourself mate

and do a trip report on your maiden trip

regards

grayray

P.S.

dont do all your trip on WS there is some great bars all over pattaya

cash is the way to go if he hotel doesnt have a in room safe or safety deposit boxes in reception then i would be not stopping there ,

However, I guess I must have spent over a thousand quid in ATM fees so far on this 15 month trip

Yep. No better reason to try to get and use local ones.

You know, if you've been going through that kind of money, 'most any bank in the Phils/Thailand would be pleased to have you put it on account, give you a passable one-time conversion rate and a couple of ATM cards.

Picking up on the other point in your post, I also start and end my trips to the LoS with a couple of days in BKK. This is partly because I don’t think I could face a long taxi ride after 15+ hours travelling from the UK, and also because there is so much to see and do in BKK by day and there is Nana and Cowboy by night.

A point here. Its only 90 minutes or so from airport to your Pattaya Room-if that and that is really only 50/60 more with compared with going to Bangkok. I usually get in the back and as I cannot sleep on planes I get a nap in the cab and then I am ready to roar when I get to Patts. I spend longer travelling than you and its just no issue.

Auusiechick.

i opened new acc at Kasikorn in carefore in central rd last april 2010 just showed my passport, send over a few AUD each mth and will have little nest egg for when i get back.

have open a few acc and different bank only had to show my passport.

regards

grayray

TC's are your best bet. I usually take a mixture of these and cash. I only use the ATM as a last resort as I begrudge paying the fees involved, however small. With TC's, you get just as good an exchange rate as cash and there are places available to change them all over Thailand. In the popular tourist places like Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui there are literally hundreds of places where you can change them. The only place you will struggle to change them is somewhere like Koh Samet but I always change up enough in advance if I have run out of cash and I'm going somewhere isolated like that. The best thing about TC's is that they are worthless to anyone other than the owner and if you lose them you can get them back without much hassle, only a phone call and, in my experience, a trip to Bangkok to get the new ones.

Yep. No better reason to try to get and use local ones.

You know, if you've been going through that kind of money, 'most any bank in the Phils/Thailand would be pleased to have you put it on account, give you a passable one-time conversion rate and a couple of ATM cards.

I've got a Thai ATM card but I gave it to the TGF so she can get her pocket money every week.

I was only planning on staying in the Phils for a month so haven't bothered to get a bank account here. Besides which I'm a lazy cunt and the banks are all closed by the time I venture outside my hotel room.