Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Typical monies paid, upon signing a lease in Pattaya

I am looking for information regarding deposits required upon signing a lease.

For example, in the Philippines, it is normal to pay a deposit and two months advance rent, prior to moving in to a rental unit. This would be typical for a one year lease.

Is it similar there?

Typical length of a lease, there?

Also, here (Philippines), power bills are in the owners' (or God knows who) names and the tenant will pay the bill when it is due.

In Pattaya, would the tenant put the power, as well as other utilities, in his or her name?

TIA

I am looking for information regarding deposits required upon signing a lease.

For example, in the Philippines, it is normal to pay a deposit and two months advance rent, prior to moving in to a rental unit. This would be typical for a one year lease.

Is it similar there?

Typical length of a lease, there?

Also, here (Philippines), power bills are in the owners' (or God knows who) names and the tenant will pay the bill when it is due.

In Pattaya, would the tenant put the power, as well as other utilities, in his or her name?

TIA

In Pattaya, you should expect to pay 2 months deposit and 1 month at the beginning. You then pay each month by month in advance. The untility bills would stay in the landlords name and you are responsible for these also. The only exception would be if you "added" something like True Vision for your TV etc.

A typical lease is 1 year and can be renewed each year

I was also asked for a security deposit.......on top of 2 months rent up front. Likely because I wanted a short lease of 6 months.

I got the impression this was a slight afterthought and negotiated it down, otherwise a substantial amount was involved on signing the lease.

Negotiation is always possible, had I realised I would actually stay longer than I thought, or had my wits about me I would have negotiated the rent down rather than the deposit, as this would have reduced initial payment too and benefited in the longer term.

Whether the owner has insurance or you need to take it out is important...

I never did get all my deposit back.

"I never did get all my deposit back."

Thai landlords seem pretty good at finding reasons not to give your deposit back. Probably because they have already spent the money. I tried to get the utilities in my name so I could pay them from my bank account on the internet while I was away but "no can do" at the electric and water companies.

I tried to get the utilities in my name so I could pay them from my bank account on the internet while I was away but "no can do" at the electric and water companies.

Why does the utilties need to be in your name to be able to pay them online ?

So, I am under the impression that, if you pay two months rent up front, the last two months of your lease (if you choose not to move at the end of that lease), you would not pay rent?

Thanks for the input, thus far.

So, I am under the impression that, if you pay two months rent up front, the last two months of your lease (if you choose not to move at the end of that lease), you would not pay rent?

Thanks for the input, thus far.

it might depend how much notice you were required to give according to the lease/contract.

Apparently there is a nefarious British guy who rents out and won't return all your deposit.

My first house here in Thailand I had the Electric and water in my name... only the internet was in the owners name (that was a nightmare). My current place has the utilities in the owners name.. in both cases I paid first + last + deposit.

In the first home, which was Thai owned, I had to raise hell to get my deposit back. Threatened to go to the police before they agreed to hand it over. The place was pristine - even had a cleaning crew go in and do a deep clean before moving out. They just simply didnt want to give it back. You just cannot trust Thai landlords... keep that in mind when laying down a big deposit.

One way to possibly save a major hassle in recovering your security deposit. Take pictures of the condo before you move in and have the landlord sign and date the back of each photo. Let's the landlord know upfront that your a serious renter and you will have proof of the original condition of the condo. Do the same when you get ready to leave. A picture is worth a thousand words.

One way to possibly save a major hassle in recovering your security deposit. Take pictures of the condo before you move in and have the landlord sign and date the back of each photo. Let's the landlord know upfront that your a serious renter and you will have proof of the original condition of the condo. Do the same when you get ready to leave. A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is what I do and have not been stooged yet, cept of-course the landlord that was murdered, he failed to return deposit but had a reasonable excuse.I did however live there rent free for a few months whilst his lations sorted out the sale of the house.

Apparently there is a nefarious British guy who rents out and won't return all your deposit.

More than one. All British people do this. Even the ones who aren't landlords.

• Downvote 2

Thanks again. Well, Eric seems to be a reputable guy on this forum. I will try to deal with him when I am ready to rent a place.

Again, I appreciate the input from each of you.

More than one. All British people do this. Even the ones who aren't landlords.

Why would you say something so stupid? You still hate all Brits

lol, i guess that was JKs attempt at humor

Yeah...it seems you Brits don't get American humor sometimes. It's okay...we'll wait for you to catch up.