Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

ok maybe I am missing something but what the fuck does it mean when laughter is depicted by the numbers 55555? seen it used loads of times but haven`t got a clue why..over to you BMs 55555

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never needed to learn how to count to ten in Thai.   Why bother? Anybody that wants my money knows how to speak English.

dont be sarcastic Alf it don`t suit you

As previously mentioned the number '5' in Thai is pronounced as "HA", so 555 is HAHAHA.   I must admit it's not quite the question I'd expect from someone who's been on this board since 2004 and has

Count to five in Thai and maybe you'll get a clue.

In case you don't speak Thai, the number 5 is pronouced "ha" in Thai. So 555 = ha ha ha.

Edited by tko

In case you don't speak Thai, the number 5 is pronouced "ha" in Thai. So 555 = ha ha ha.

So why does every forum completely unconnected to Thailand still carry 555 across the board ??

I like Pattayamad would be interested to know what it means ??

So why does every forum completely unconnected to Thailand still carry 555 across the board ??

Without being oblique or mysterious, to a Thai speaker, 555 sounds like "ha ha ha", indicating laughter.

It "means" ha-ha-ha. Don't understand why this is mysterious. To anyone who speaks Thai, anywhere in the world, it means ha-ha-ha. On this new-fangled internet thingmy, you don't have to be a Thai in Thailand to get the connection. Now you have it too. Never again will it be a mystery.

I've only ever seen it in Thai related forums.

I've only ever seen it in Thai related forums.

Before I posted I checked twitter and facebook looking for it, and clearly there.....

I suspect the 555 does indeed mean ha ha ha without question, but its been picked up by others completely unrelated to Thailand.

Before I posted I checked twitter and facebook looking for it, and clearly there.....

I suspect the 555 does indeed mean ha ha ha without question, but its been picked up by others completely unrelated to Thailand.

Cool. You learn something new every day.

EDIT: probably because I only ever spend time on Thai related forums :rolleyes:

Edited by tko

I cannot believe that some people who go to Thailand regularly haven't even managed to master the language as far as counting to ten. :o

There are already 347 separate puns about this particular year - 2555. I think I've groaned through them all. Thais love a pun.

Ive never needed to

So you're telling me you have never encountered a situation in all your travels to Thailand when it may have been advantageous to know how to count to ten in Thai? :o

Ive never needed to

Well... define "needed". You go to another country and have no curiosity about it. I really can't relate to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well... define "needed". You go to another country and have no curiosity about it. I really can't relate to that.

Exactly. Surely curiosity would get the better of you? I know the Thais are secretive about their language, but please, counting to ten? Asking for a drink? The bill? Asking someone their name? Disrespectful and arrogant not to know the basics in my opinion. I'd learnt that sort of stuff by then end of my first trip.

Edited by Siam Sam

good for you

Well yes, it is. There have been an inordinate number of times knowing how to speak some of the language has given me an advantage and made things easier for me in Thailand. I congratulate you on your appreciation and respect for Thailand and it's culture. Each to their own, it takes all sorts of people to make this world!

Well yes, it is. There have been an inordinate number of times knowing how to speak some of the language has given me an advantage and made things easier for me in Thailand. I congratulate you on your appreciation and respect for Thailand and it's culture. Each to their own, it takes all sorts of people to make this world!

i can speak thai, a very little granted, just simple greetings and thanks yous and a few other phrases, i guess i just didn`t get around to finding out to count from 1 to 10 because i didn`t think it was the most important thing in the thai dictionary, but as you say each to his own

i can speak thai, a very little granted, just simple greetings and thanks yous and a few other phrases, i guess i just didn`t get around to finding out to count from 1 to 10 because i didn`t think it was the most important thing in the thai dictionary, but as you say each to his own

You'd be surprised how helpful knowing how to count in Thai can be when it comes to money. Must have saved me a few quid, no doubt. :thumbup

• Upvote 1

i just didn`t get around to finding out to count from 1 to 10 because i didn`t think it was the most important thing in the thai dictionary, but as you say each to his own

Every time I have stayed in any country I always think the most important thing to learn first is how to count

So you're telling me you have never encountered a situation in all your travels to Thailand when it may have been advantageous to know how to count to ten in Thai? :o

Perhaps had I took employment at a primary school?