Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

ok maybe I am missing something but what the fuck does it mean when laughter is depicted by the numbers 55555? seen it used loads of times but haven`t got a clue why..over to you BMs 55555

As previously mentioned the number '5' in Thai is pronounced as "HA", so 555 is HAHAHA.

I must admit it's not quite the question I'd expect from someone who's been on this board since 2004 and has more than 4000 posts. :clueless

BTW, baht buses are 10baht, ST = Short Time, LT = Long Time and Pattaya is located in Thailand. :bhappy

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never needed to learn how to count to ten in Thai.   Why bother? Anybody that wants my money knows how to speak English.

dont be sarcastic Alf it don`t suit you

As previously mentioned the number '5' in Thai is pronounced as "HA", so 555 is HAHAHA.   I must admit it's not quite the question I'd expect from someone who's been on this board since 2004 and has

Perhaps had I took employment at a primary school?

Do tell! At least we know it wasn't a grammar school position.

• Upvote 2

My son, 11 then, learnt to count from 0 to 1 million in Thai in 30 minutes. It took me a couple of days. Little sod!!

Incidently.....when my mother died a couple of years ago, I followed behind the herse.....Its number plate was 555. It crossed my mind to mention it to the funeral directors as a little inappropriate but i didn't. I think my mum would have enjoyed the joke.

As previously mentioned the number '5' in Thai is pronounced as "HA", so 555 is HAHAHA.

I must admit it's not quite the question I'd expect from someone who's been on this board since 2004 and has more than 4000 posts. :clueless

BTW, baht buses are 10baht, ST = Short Time, LT = Long Time and Pattaya is located in Thailand. :bhappy

dont be sarcastic Alf it don`t suit you

• Downvote 4

So you're telling me you have never encountered a situation in all your travels to Thailand when it may have been advantageous to know how to count to ten in Thai? :o

I've never needed to learn how to count to ten in Thai.

Why bother? Anybody that wants my money knows how to speak English.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Go to Isaan (or any region with no tourists) and see how far that attitude gets you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great attitude, no wonder they don't like us and the stereotype exists. Well done.

• Upvote 2

0 = Soon

1 = Neung

2 = sawng

3 = Saam

4 = See

5 = haa

6 = Hok

7 = Jet

8 = Paet

9 = Gao

10 = Sip

You also need to describe the tones, or that doesn't work.

Exactly. Considering we're dealing with people so ignorant they haven't even bothered to learn how to count to ten after mulitple trips to Thailand over the years, it's doubtful they're going to understand the differences in phonetic translations. :rolleyes:

Edited by Siam Sam

Translation: I only give my money to people smart enough to speak English.

Actually..... One of the big differences I found between Thailand and (most) other Asian countries with tonal languages is that Thais actually make an effort to figure out what you're saying. Where others will go "HUH?" and turn off, Thais try to figure out if you mean mother or horse or dog according to the context of the sentence. Most Thais will allow for errors; most others won't. They might LAUGH when you say you're going home to visit your horse, but they understand.

Long way of saying if you make a tone error while you're obviously discussing numbers, Thais will figure it out fine. If you can say the word, but get the tone wrong, you'll be okay.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Long way of saying if you make a tone error while you're obviously discussing numbers, Thais will figure it out fine. If you can say the word, but get the tone wrong, you'll be okay.

In my experience (particularly in the UK) Thai people will very often pretend they don't understand you even when they do. The Thai people where my wife works used to pretend they didn't understand me, now they know me they understand the Thai I speak just fine. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Considering we're dealing with people so ignorant they haven't even bothered to learn how to count to ten after mulitple trips to Thailand over the years, it's doubtful they're going to understand the differences in phonetic translations. :rolleyes:

describing people as ignorant won`t get your point over any better..FFS your "look at me I can count to ten in thai" attitude doesn`t make you bigger or better any better then the rest of us! after all this is a monger forum you know, BTW may I asked if you are married why you are here?

Edited by pattaya_mad

In my experience (particularly in the UK) Thai people will very often pretend they don't understand you even when they do. The Thai people where my wife works used to pretend they didn't understand me, now they know me they understand the Thai I speak just fine. :rolleyes:

Hope in time your Wife will as well 55555555555555

Joe

describing people as ignorant won`t get your point over any better..

Fair enough but it's the truth, if you can't even count to ten in Thai it does make you ignorant to the language. You can hardly desribe yourself as "knowledgeable" can you?

FFS your "look at me I can count to ten in thai" attitude doesn`t make you bigger or better any better then the rest of us!

No, and I'm not saying it does! Actually I could count to a million if I had to. :D Even you must be able to admit that as a seasoned traveller to Thailand, not being able to count to ten is a bit lame?

after all this is a monger forum you know, BTW may I asked if you are married why you are here?

So being a monger is a prerequisite for membership to this forum? And being married means I'm not allowed to be a member? Sorry, I didn't realise that was against the rules, I must have overlooked that the last time I consulted them. I'll always be a monger mate, I'm having a sabbatical for the time being.

• Upvote 2

ok maybe I am missing something but what the fuck does it mean when laughter is depicted by the numbers 55555? seen it used loads of times but haven`t got a clue why..over to you BMs 55555

I wondered the same thing a while back so decided to Google it and got my answer...

Then again i could have totally embarassed myself by starting a topic on the meaning of '555'

Good ole Google

:P

I wondered the same thing a while back so decided to Google it and got my answer...

Then again i could have totally embarassed myself by starting a topic on the meaning of '555'

Good ole Google

instead of embarrassing yourself by not being able to spell embarrassed you mean?

• Downvote 2

instead of embarrassing yourself by not being able to spell embarrassed you mean?

Whoa! Almost as embarrassing as having a go at grammar while beginning a sentence with a small letter -- and THEN not putting quotes around the referenced word in the rant.

That's just me, but that's why I don't have much of a go at people for grammar, because probably I'll eff it up, too, and look worse. Grammar was my mother's mother, and she's gone to the big spelling match in the sky.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whoa! Almost as embarrassing as having a go at grammar while beginning a sentence with a small letter -- and THEN not putting quotes around the referenced word in the rant.

:bhappy Indeed.

That's just me, but that's why I don't have much of a go at people for grammar, because probably I'll eff it up, too, and look worse. Grammar was my mother's mother, and she's gone to the big spelling match in the sky.

FAF

:llaugh

Wow I`m taking quite an hammering here, i think i'd better duck and leave.(full stop)

Thought i'd help you out with that sentence. RED indicates what you should have typed.

Edited by farman