Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Im a little curious to see what BMs would like to happen when they reach either retirement or have managed to reach a financially secure situation were they can choose to basically retire. Would you retire to Thailand or would you stay in your home country and just holiday to Thailand. If you found yourself fairly comfortable in Thailand, would you invest your wealth in a Hotel, Bar, Guesthouse etc. Before you go off on how silly it is to run a bar in Thailand, there are some good news stories on this e.g FLB, BabyDolls, Mistys and for the Hotels and guest houses you have places such as RG, Tropical Bets, Queen Vic etc. I am just asking for your thoughts if you have made any kind of plans as to what you would like to do when you reach a certain time in life. Some i know live in Thailand quite happily on a regualr income and live very happily. I also know that everyone would have different budgets, so not everyone will have the same goals. I can see the need to keep yurself busy and your mind active, i know one guy who has a 60 room apartment building with a few shops that are all rented. It generates a great income each month, yet he has some major headaches to deal with. I think to run a bar, hotel or guesthouse takes a certain type of buisness minded individual and is not for me.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wearing a bit of thread on your wrist and eating fried chicken and somtam off the floor can hardly be used as evidence of "adapting to the local lifestyle". My dog does that. And he sleeps a lot.

I don't need to say anything positive about myself... i don't want to shine myself... i share my sucesseses and my failures...   Hmm.. are you sure I have a loser life ??? I don't wait anything to h

Perhaps you (Gabor) can borrow my reading glasses aswell, your (Gabor) attacks were clearly pointed at me personally and you (Gabor) made them because of your (Gabor) own topics that have become disfu

I have lived and work in Pattaya for 2 years, it is still 15 years till retirement but if I had the $ now, I would semi retire their, maybe 8 months Pattaya and 4 months Australia every year.

cheers

Rodney

I've been planning the move for quite a while, now I've got 2.5-3.5 years to go. My cash flow should be more than enough so I won't have to work. I may move some of my investments from the west, though, as a currency hedge. If I do, I'm more comfortable in the markets than with a business, so I'd most likely put it into the SET. About the only business I'd be interested in is perhaps as a landlord with apartments/shops like your friend. It would have to be large enough to be able to pay a Thai manager, as I wouldn't want to have to deal with the day to day stuff. I've had rental property in the past in the west.

The mental aspect is something I haven't fully resolved. I expect the first couple years will be okay, as I'll be busy finishing out my new home, setting up a new life, etc. I expect I'll be able to continue adding to investments in the west which will keep me studying the markets, and assuming decent internet speeds are to be had upcountry I enjoy exploring the net, the forums, etc. We'll also make several regional trips each year.

IMO.. adopt the thai way of life... Just doing nothing and enjoy it... I wonder why the westeners always want to do something, keep yorself busy, travelling etc... I'm here already 3.5 months and I'm happy to do intensively nothing... Your pressure to " keep your busy " is one of the evidence you can't adopt the local lifestyle... And if you can't adopt it you will be a stranger, an alien...and never really understand the local things... IMO.... I may be wrong, but I think many girls likes my " thai male " behaviour... I don't drag them from the one activities to the second, I can just share a grill chicken and a somtam on the floor for hours and just surfing on the cable channels...and sleep for a while don't care about her...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMO.. adopt the thai way of life... Just doing nothing and enjoy it... I wonder why the westeners always want to do something, keep yorself busy, travelling etc... I'm here already 3.5 months and I'm happy to do intensively nothing... Your pressure to " keep your busy " is one of the evidence you can't adopt the local lifestyle... And if you can't adopt it you will be a stranger, an alien...and never really understand the local things... IMO.... I may be wrong, but I think many girls likes my " thai male " behaviour... I don't drag them from the one activities to the second, I can just share a grill chicken and a somtam on the floor for hours and just surfing on the cable channels...and sleep for a while don't care about her...

id like you to look this thread up and answer it again in another 6 months time. You will get bored after another few months of this way of life. I like to keep busy and keep my mind active on what ever i like to do - mostly trying to help others less fortunate. It is absolutley pathetic to read your reply about becoming a stranger. You may wake up one moring and realise there is more to Thailand beyond Sukomvit Rd. You may also wake up and realise the girls you see are only with you for the paltry sum you give them, not just for the free somtam

Wearing a bit of thread on your wrist and eating fried chicken and somtam off the floor can hardly be used as evidence of "adapting to the local lifestyle". My dog does that. And he sleeps a lot. :clueless

Maybe your dog is wiser, than you... :bhappy

id like you to look this thread up and answer it again in another 6 months time. You will get bored after another few months of this way of life. I like to keep busy and keep my mind active on what ever i like to do - mostly trying to help others less fortunate. It is absolutley pathetic to read your reply about becoming a stranger. You may wake up one moring and realise there is more to Thailand beyond Sukomvit Rd. You may also wake up and realise the girls you see are only with you for the paltry sum you give them, not just for the free somtam

You may see the same result after the mentioned 6 months... as I live on the same way already 30 years..Working in the media ( making feature movies ) means sometimes you do nothing for 6 months and working like an animal 24/7 for a short time...( maybe 1 months ) I liked always the 6 months periods.. :lsmile And I'm happy to not know the " after the Sukhumwit road " territory... ( I'm not interstesed ) being a tourist knows only the songthaew line... If the girls are happy with my 1000 bahts, so happy I am... And i'm more happy when they are happy to share the grill chicken with me and the som tam for free... True, no shag fests, just hanging around...just like friends...

• Downvote 2

Maybe your dog is wiser, than you... :bhappy

You may see the same result after the mentioned 6 months... as I live on the same way already 30 years..Working in the media ( making feature movies ) means sometimes you do nothing for 6 months and working like an animal 24/7 for a short time...( maybe 1 months ) I liked always the 6 months periods.. :lsmile And I'm happy to not know the " after the Sukhumwit road " territory... ( I'm not interstesed ) being a tourist knows only the songthaew line... If the girls are happy with my 1000 bahts, so happy I am... And i'm more happy when they are happy to share the grill chicken with me and the som tam for free... True, no shag fests, just hanging around...just like friends...

To be honest, you sound bored with your life already

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

really ? :llaugh

Yes, you have not said anything positive about yourself or what you would like to happen in your sad loser life in the future, other to continue to be........a loser.

Waiting for the "scene or the wonder" lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, you have not said anything positive about yourself or what you would like to happen in your sad loser life in the future, other to continue to be........a loser.

Hear hear! :thumbup

To the OP: hopefully I'll already be living there by the time I come to retire. Either that or I'll have come home because it didn't work out. :D

I was thinking about buying a bar.

And im sure you would be very successful if you had good customers who dont complain about the costs of BF and ST and the price of drinks :thumbup

Especially the ones waiting for the "wonder"

Edited by bigmick

Im a little curious to see what BMs would like to happen when they reach either retirement or have managed to reach a financially secure situation were they can choose to basically retire. Would you retire to Thailand or would you stay in your home country and just holiday to Thailand. If you found yourself fairly comfortable in Thailand, would you invest your wealth in a Hotel, Bar, Guesthouse etc. Before you go off on how silly it is to run a bar in Thailand, there are some good news stories on this e.g FLB, BabyDolls, Mistys and for the Hotels and guest houses you have places such as RG, Tropical Bets, Queen Vic etc. I am just asking for your thoughts if you have made any kind of plans as to what you would like to do when you reach a certain time in life. Some i know live in Thailand quite happily on a regualr income and live very happily. I also know that everyone would have different budgets, so not everyone will have the same goals. I can see the need to keep yurself busy and your mind active, i know one guy who has a 60 room apartment building with a few shops that are all rented. It generates a great income each month, yet he has some major headaches to deal with. I think to run a bar, hotel or guesthouse takes a certain type of buisness minded individual and is not for me.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I retired here before turning 50.

I hadn't lived in my home country for quite a few years as I worked overseas, and had no desire whatsoever to re-establish a taxation arrangement with them!

I would never in a million years invest in a business in Thailand. Firstly, I am retired, so do not wish to start working again.

Secondly I think the chances of success are unlikely. You know the adage about making a small fortune in a Thai business!

Do you know that Mistys for example, is a financial success, have you talked to Andy?

I agree, I know some people can't retire and do nothing, and thrive when set a challenge. More power to them, but I never took well to some of the tricks one likely needs to master to succeed here.

And although not specifically a question you asked, define a financially secure situation. Methinks the events of the last 5 years have proven a few wrong on that claim made in 2005!

I have lived and work in Pattaya for 2 years, it is still 15 years till retirement but if I had the $ now, I would semi retire their, maybe 8 months Pattaya and 4 months Australia every year.

cheers

Rodney

Good reply, you could kinda have your cake and eat it,

I've been planning the move for quite a while, now I've got 2.5-3.5 years to go. My cash flow should be more than enough so I won't have to work. I may move some of my investments from the west, though, as a currency hedge. If I do, I'm more comfortable in the markets than with a business, so I'd most likely put it into the SET. About the only business I'd be interested in is perhaps as a landlord with apartments/shops like your friend. It would have to be large enough to be able to pay a Thai manager, as I wouldn't want to have to deal with the day to day stuff. I've had rental property in the past in the west.

The mental aspect is something I haven't fully resolved. I expect the first couple years will be okay, as I'll be busy finishing out my new home, setting up a new life, etc. I expect I'll be able to continue adding to investments in the west which will keep me studying the markets, and assuming decent internet speeds are to be had upcountry I enjoy exploring the net, the forums, etc. We'll also make several regional trips each year.

I wish you well, you seem to have thought it out and have an idea what you want. thanks for sharing

Hear hear! :thumbup

To the OP: hopefully I'll already be living there by the time I come to retire. Either that or I'll have come home because it didn't work out. :D

One of the honest few!! fair play to you and good luck

I retired here before turning 50.

I hadn't lived in my home country for quite a few years as I worked overseas, and had no desire whatsoever to re-establish a taxation arrangement with them!

I would never in a million years invest in a business in Thailand. Firstly, I am retired, so do not wish to start working again.

Secondly I think the chances of success are unlikely. You know the adage about making a small fortune in a Thai business!

Do you know that Mistys for example, is a financial success, have you talked to Andy?

I agree, I know some people can't retire and do nothing, and thrive when set a challenge. More power to them, but I never took well to some of the tricks one likely needs to master to succeed here.

And although not specifically a question you asked, define a financially secure situation. Methinks the events of the last 5 years have proven a few wrong on that claim made in 2005!

Jacko

Thanks for sharing that, i am sure that i dont never want to have a bar, i am not that kind of person who can put that kind of effort into running a buisness in Thailand. I can see many problems with running any kind of buisness - so its not for me. Its the events over the last 5 years that really made me thnk about this topic in the first place and had made me think more seriously about how much etc. I dont think any two people would have the same answers as to how much etc - to be financially secure. But i honestly wish everyone all the best to reach their goals for retirement.

Mike

I have done the bar bit but a change in plans meant pulling out of the bar business....... I do plan to do it again, but it won't be in Pattaya.

I'm not gong to leave the UK to live in Thailand whilst my parents are alive, but when I do I'll make my home up north but will make trips down to Pattaya every so often, I also plan to split my time in retirement between the UK and Thailand.

I don't need to say anything positive about myself... i don't want to shine myself... i share my sucesseses and my failures...

Hmm.. are you sure I have a loser life ??? I don't wait anything to happen in my " loser life ".. I'm just happy with my recent life... If you feel, your life is a loser's life, please don't call it my own life... Hahaha... I'm the one who never wait for the wonder, I'm the one who ready to move to the " NEXT"..... at any time... Are you malevolent or just a cretin ? :sosad

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I don't need to say anything positive about myself... i don't want to shine myself... i share my sucesseses and my failures...

Hmm.. are you sure I have a loser life ??? I don't wait anything to happen in my " loser life ".. I'm just happy with my recent life... If you feel, your life is a loser's life, please don't call it my own life...  Hahaha... I'm the one who never wait for the wonder, I'm the one who ready to move to the " NEXT"..... at any time... Are you malevolent or just a cretin ? :sosad

Thanks for continuing to threadfuck just as you always do. Simply put, you are dreaming and yes you are a loser, you are dreaming that these girls are your friends lol, you may think otherwise, but another few months will tell lol, i cant wait. Keep on posting. You are a bored and lonely man

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for continuing to threadfuck just as you always do. Simply put, you are dreaming and yes you are a loser, you are dreaming that these girls are your friends lol, you may think otherwise, but another few months will tell lol, i cant wait. Keep on posting. You are a bored and lonely man

Aaaww leave him alone, he buys them som tam and chicken (or maybe sometimes gri dee ow) and they all sit down on the floor to eat, they love him for it and stay with him because they enjoy his company. It has nothing to do with the money. :llaugh

• Upvote 1