Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi,

I am wanting to rent an apartment in Pattaya from March till June (3 months) this year..

the thing that is bugging me though is that my one need that is 100% necessary is the internet connection (I am needing my own connection fast and stable for work wifi alone would not be suitable..Im a trader where seconds are important) the apartment would need to have a telephone line with the internet set up or atleast the potential of it being set up, Do any apartments with this kind of short term rental have this set up, if not do you think its possible to get it set up and how long and at what price would it be?

Just wondering if there are any other traders in Pattaya and what the internet is like for trading... also what the best internet service provider is there at the moment? From my research tonight im getting the feel that Sophon is the best

cheers,

Hi,

I am wanting to rent an apartment in Pattaya from March till June (3 months) this year..

the thing that is bugging me though is that my one need that is 100% necessary is the internet connection (I am needing my own connection fast and stable for work wifi alone would not be suitable..Im a trader where seconds are important) the apartment would need to have a telephone line with the internet set up or atleast the potential of it being set up, Do any apartments with this kind of short term rental have this set up, if not do you think its possible to get it set up and how long and at what price would it be?

Just wondering if there are any other traders in Pattaya and what the internet is like for trading... also what the best internet service provider is there at the moment? From my research tonight im getting the feel that Sophon is the best

cheers,

There are lots to choose from and i would recommend you ask Frosty about this. Send him a PM and i am sure he will give you the best advice - top guy

Mr Monkey, what you saw in Australia as "fast and stable" is a top wish for most people in Pattaya and Thailand. You will get a DSL line off your landline telephone with a hard connection, with fairly good, often reliable service. You will also get some outages for seconds, even minutes. You'll get varying speeds because it's DSL and shared -- with more speed at 0300 local time. Which service is "best" depends on many things, but most especially the luck of the draw.

Note that it also depends on where you live. You may have a choice of three, two or even one company. And it may take a day or three weeks to get it installed. If you're at the far end of a road, it may be hugely expensive, too or it may be simply impossible -- so do not rent or buy a residence until you check this out. If there is a landline phone, you are PROBABLY good to go. But do not accept the word of your landlord/lady, go to the telephone company and get everything from that horse's mouth.

I'm assuming here that you're going into an apartment or house by the way. Hotels is way iffier.

There are lots to choose from and i would recommend you ask Frosty about this. Send him a PM and i am sure he will give you the best advice - top guy

Yes, yes, no, yes, yes.

No on the PM part. It's not a Personal Matter, surely. Everyone can benefit from all discussion on this.

Edited by joekicker

Yep my initial stay is only going to be 3 months, so I dont really want to have to go through all the setting up process from scratch. I kind of want to hit the ground running and start trading straight away so would want the net set up already, or atleast a phone line so I could organise to pay for the net to be set up before I arrived.

I have done a bit of research on these forums seems like TOT, Cat, TT and T are the best ones... with a lot of good reviews for Sophon cable serviced by Cat. If people can stream videos with no problem then trading should not be a problem.. how is youtube and movies streaming like there? And in your experience are there many outages? I think maybe I should get an ADSL line through the phone line and then a dongle for if there are outages... with the last resort being a mobile phone to call the broker in australia to cancel my trades if I cant get back online.

You don't seem to be asking a question directly to anybody. See what Joe said, many factors, many different experiences. I live quite remote 12 km out of Pattaya but on my street there is TOT, 3BB and Truemove available (ie there are cables run up the street to the end). The telephones are TOT, and I have my ADSL on that line. I wouldn't recommend it. Speed can be quite good domestically, but the bottle neck is going to Europe or USA. Personally I cannot stream video most times of day.

Outages are 'occasional' But you cannot predict them, it is often associated with some scalywags on a cable stealing spree which may cause a day or two offline.

If an outage lasts I can hook up on EDGE/GPRS using my mobile phone, but that is much slower, and also subject to slowdown at peak times.

It sounds like you are going to be doing some spread betting/ trading and there is a chance you may end up throwing the laptop out of the window one day. :D

Further to Jackos previous response I can say I operated Spread Trading accounts in Buriram last summer for 2 months using no more than an Edge connection and a dongle.....

Never once did I lose connection or get any lag on trades.......I'm not on dealer referall and trades were instantaneous.

I could have been using my connection back in the UK it was that good...

Further to Jackos previous response I can say I operated Spread Trading accounts in Buriram last summer for 2 months using no more than an Edge connection and a dongle.....

Never once did I lose connection or get any lag on trades.......I'm not on dealer referall and trades were instantaneous.

I could have been using my connection back in the UK it was that good...

And to add to yours...... :D

I hooked up with GPRS in the Nakhon Nowhere region when travelling once and was quite surprised how fast it seemed. I could only guess that there was plenty of network capacity in the rural areas. it was much poorer on the darkside.

Edited by jacko

And to add to yours...... :D

I hooked up with GPRS in the Nakhon Nowhere region when travelling once and was quite surprised how fast it seemed. I could only guess that there was plenty of network capacity in the rural areas. it was much poorer on the darkside.

I was in the centre of Buriram couple of hundred metres from the Irish Bar so in a heavily populated area, so was pleasantly surprised.......

In fact in the Irish Bar, Brian had an open connection to his Wi-Fi and I couldn't see any difference whatsoever when opening/closing positions....

I was in the centre of Buriram couple of hundred metres from the Irish Bar so in a heavily populated area, so was pleasantly surprised.......

In fact in the Irish Bar, Brian had an open connection to his Wi-Fi and I couldn't see any difference whatsoever when opening/closing positions....

Sounds good mate, can I ask what provider you were using ? cheers

We use True Ultra at home and my MT4 works perfectly.

Using AIS on a dongle might not be the most reliable but it will give you freedom.

I use both as I have my trading accts on my mobile too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk