Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Cooks wearing masks - do you perfer those restaurants?

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A *good* cook or chef tastes the food. (S)he does that in a clean, sanitary manner, but you can't do it through a mask. I never trust a cook that doesn't taste the food.

I prefer that they keep their head covered,

I prefer that they are clean shaven.

Masks and gloves seems to be OTT. (Do they change/wash the gloves, or ensure a mask is put back on the correct way around?)

• Upvote 1

And I agree with jacko - chef's hair is probably my greatest worry too.

If they're so sick they need a mask for the phlegm and germs they're coughing up, they shouldn't be there and I won't be, if I hear them hacking behind the mask. If they cook with poop and pee on their hands, there'll be lots of notice it's a restaurant to avoid. But hair FALLS in food, it's no sign of un-cleanliness per se. Caps and lack of beard are indicated, I think.

We should invite Obsession in here to suggest how women cooks could keep their heads covered.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 1

I prefer that they keep their head covered,

I prefer that they are clean shaven.

Masks and gloves seems to be OTT. (Do they change/wash the gloves, or ensure a mask is put back on the correct way around?)

The fellow in the OP pic missed the class on the correct way to wear a mask.

I was eating in my favorite restaurant last week when I notice a hair mixed in with the sauce on my plate. I considered myself lucky as I hate picking hairs out of my mouth after I take a bite.

I wonder if the figure is more than 95% of the restaurant employees who don't wash their hands ever after taking a piss or shit.

And I agree with jacko - chef's hair is probably my greatest worry too.

If they're so sick they need a mask for the phlegm and germs they're coughing up, they shouldn't be there and I won't be, if I hear them hacking behind the mask. If they cook with poop and pee on their hands, there'll be lots of notice it's a restaurant to avoid. But hair FALLS in food, it's no sign of un-cleanliness per se. Caps and lack of beard are indicated, I think.

We should invite Obsession in here to suggest how women cooks could keep their heads covered.

Well as an afterthought perhaps a mask and gloves will deter the other great Thai passtime of picking ones nose. :unsure:

Well as an afterthought perhaps a mask and gloves will deter the other great Thai passtime of picking ones nose. :unsure:

Nose discharge matter should just be considered an "extra spice".

I have to agree here. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cooks return from the bathroom and start cooking. Sat and picked their nose, or squeezed pimples and went right back to handeling food. Not to mention having a coughing fit right over a plate or pan full of food.

• Upvote 1

The hats and hairs nets do there jobs but the face mask in many restaurants is a bit of a gimmick, looks the business but unless its changed every hour or so its actually a hazard, less than 60 mins of breathing through one and if you do have an infection then guess were its concentrated ?, just touch it and millions of bacteria get transferred to your hand as well, so unless they are changed regularly its a waste of time, my guess is they get one at the start of there shift and it’s the same one when they have finished in between its maybe been taken off and put back on a few times during breaks or popping out for a smoke or going to the toilet.

I have to agree here. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cooks return from the bathroom and start cooking. Sat and picked their nose, or squeezed pimples and went right back to handeling food. Not to mention having a coughing fit right over a plate or pan full of food.

My worst was seeing a member of the kitchen staff emerge carrying a rat they had just killed in the kitchen.... he didn't wash his hands before going back in there either....NOT THAILAND!

Hats for the men and hair nets for women works well. I also like gloves for the kitchen staff. Gloves should be changed on a regular basis during the work shift. Years ago in Philadelphia, I saw the cook in a local restaurant I frequented. Help a man change the car battery in his car. The cook and I walked into the restaurant together and I saw him start preparing food without washing his hands. :angry2 That was the last time I went into the restaurant.

Hats for the men and hair nets for women works well. I also like gloves for the kitchen staff. Gloves should be changed on a regular basis during the work shift. Years ago in Philadelphia, I saw the cook in a local restaurant I frequented. Help a man change the car battery in his car. The cook and I walked into the restaurant together and I saw him start preparing food without washing his hands. :angry2 That was the last time I went into the restaurant.

I saw a Thai cook lady have her diaper wearing kid sitting on her preparation counter...... made me go elsewhere. Edited by jacko

You can still pick your nose wearing a rubber glove.

And the surgical mask......?
  • 6 months later...