Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 151 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

La Petite Planete- Updated Jan. 8, 2019

I can recommend La Petite Planete for French-style cuisine. It's run by a Belgian who knows his cooking. It's located about half-way down a sub soi that runs along one side of Tukcom, the side closet to 2nd Road. It's small and there's nothing fancy about the place, but the food is excellent. For a quick, unpretentious French-style bistro meal, La Petite Planete is a good choice. It also features a limit menu of Thai food and the girls I've taken there who've sampled the Thai dishes gave it the thumbs up.

IMG_0012.jpg

I've never had a bad meal there and more than one truly good one. He's one of my favorites, couscous with grilled meat and seasonal root vegetables. The couscous had been steamed properly, the vegetables, served as a side dish, were flavorful and the meat (quarter chicken, leg and thigh; some chunks of beef; and two small pieces of lamb) was tasty. It cost 350 baht.

IMG_0011.jpg

Last weekend had the three-course Special of the Day. You get three or four choices each for the starter, main course and dessert. For starters, you can have soup; salad or pate. The four main-course possibilities are a beef, pork, chicken or fish dish, while dessert is pudding, cake, sorbet or fruit salad. The main dish is accompanied by your choice of potato (French fried, mashed, baked or boiled) and a small serving of vegetables as well as fresh French bread.

I started with country-style pate (the homemade pickles were a nice touch):

L.jpg

and followed with Chicken Cordon Bleu:

M.jpg

The chicken fillet had been pounded thin; the slice of ham added the right flavor accent and saltiness; and the Swiss cheese inside was bubbly. The outside surface was browned nicely and added flavor.

For dessert, I had creme caramel. The top surface looks dark in the picture, but in fact it was caramelized to just the right level . The sauce wasn't sickenly sweet.

N.jpg

It cost 270 baht for the three-course meal and another 70 baht for a bottle of San Miguel Light. Chang, Tiger and Leo are available for 40 or 50 baht, but I prefer SML.

One night I wasn't very hungry and just ordered the crab salad. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but about 100 baht.

IMG_0753_edited-1.jpg

Side note: One night, this young lady was sitting at the table across from mine.

IMG_0007.jpg

She smiled invitingly and asked me why I was eating alone. I smiled back and answered, "Because I am alone - tonight." She laughed, but before she could say anything else, she got a text message on her cell phone and was occupied with it for several minutes, then finished her meal quickly and paid, smiling sweetly at me on the way out.

I have to wonder what she might have said/offered without the text message. Maybe she would invited me to join her in hopes I'd pick up the tab, but certain services might also have been offered at some point in the conversation. I'm guessing she worked in one of the Russian places on Walking Street, as those girls all live in the Day-Night Apartments just around the corner from La Petite Planete.

Evil
:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Excellent little restaurant! I frequently go there when shopping at Tuk.com. Usually I have the omelette with ham and cheese along with a baguette.

Best French omelette I've had in Pattaya!

I'll have to try the 3 course meal sometime. That's a very good price.

Nice report, thanks for posting. Is that the soi with several French restaurants in one area?

It's the soi (Soi Day Night 2?) adjacent to Tuk.Com on the side of the building towards the beach (west).

I believe it has only 2 French restaurants, La Petite Planete and La Cuisine au Beurre.

It's the soi (Soi Day Night 2?) adjacent to Tuk.Com on the side of the building towards the beach (west).

I believe it has only 2 French restaurants, La Petite Planete and La Cuisine au Beurre.

There's a restaurant a bit further down on the opposite side of Soi Day Night 2 as you walk away from TukCom that bills itself a "French -Thai restaurant." I've never eaten there, though. On the corner of the first intersecting subsoi, there's Le Bordeaux, a bit more expensive restaurant.

LeBordeaux.JPG

Bordeaux.JPG

You can check out the full menu here.

If you turn right at that intersecting subsoi , there's the Dolphin Restaurant (also French) in the middle of the block, with a thee-course-dinner offer similar in price to LPP.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

There's a restaurant a bit further down on the opposite side of Soi Day Night 2 as you walk away from TukCom that bills itself a "French -Thai restaurant." I've never eaten there, though. On the corner of the first intersecting subsoi, there's Le Bordeaux, a bit more expensive restaurant.

LeBordeaux.JPG

Bordeaux.JPG

You can check out the full menu here.

If you turn right at that intersecting subsoi , there's the Dolphin Restaurant (also French) in the middle of the block, with a thee-course-dinner offer similar in price to LPP.

Evil

I stand corrected. I was there today and counted 5 French restaurants on the Soi. The other 3 are in the next block on the Soi. I'm partial to Petite Planete because it's small and cosy for my taste.

I stand corrected. I was there today and counted 5 French restaurants on the Soi. The other 3 are in the next block on the Soi. I'm partial to Petite Planete because it's small and cosy for my taste.

Thanks MM. I have been in a couple of those French restaurants and I remember a bunch of them within a block. I will check a couple out again on my next visit. They all seem to be a good deal.

Thanks MM. I have been in a couple of those French restaurants and I remember a bunch of them within a block. I will check a couple out again on my next visit. They all seem to be a good deal.

There are a lot of good eating places around TukCom for both Thai and farang food. I'll be doing some more reports on them.

Evil

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of good eating places around TukCom for both Thai and farang food. I'll be doing some more reports on them.

Evil

I have always been a little surprised by this...... and pondered why such good little places exist in an area that I make an effort to avoid. I would only ever go there to go to Tuk Com, and likely at 11.00 am. Horrible traffic, nowhere to park, scruffy, and an area that definitely leans to one side. Coming back to your motorcycle and finding puffs sitting on your seat preening themselves in your mirrors doesn't endear me any more.

Good report.

Edited by jacko

Evil,

Thanks for posting this report.

In your 1st pics, the guy on the left with the Grey shirt, I think used to have a restaurant, in Soi Yamoto (Soi 13).

I had my birthday party there last year.

The food was 90% French, and my TGF, recconned the Thai food was well up to scratch

I went down Soi Yamoto when I came back to Pattaya, a couple of moths ago.

I was really gutted.

The place is now a massage shop FFS.

But, if this is the same guy, I will be sure to give a try.

Ken

thechairman18

Evil,

In your 1st pics, the guy on the left with the Grey shirt, I think used to have a restaurant, in Soi Yamoto (Soi 13).

The food was 90% French, and my TGF, recconned the Thai food was well up to scratch

I was really gutted.

Ken

thechairman18

I don't know anything about the guy in the grey shirt. I can't recall seeing him at LPP any time I ate there. I always thought the guy in the white chief's jacket was the owner, but of course he could have partners. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Evil

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another nice meal at Le Petite Planete, this time a tomato stuffed with minced beef and served with a lovely tomato sauce, mashed potatoes and vegetables.

The sauce was so good I asked for more. It cost 189 baht.

IMG_1239.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

They just found a corpse on the roof of this place!!!

Body of female found in plastic bag on roof of South Pattaya French Restaurant

Pattaya One News

Edited by jacko

Evil,

I was really gutted.

Ken

thechairman18

Just putting a few things through the brain, but I was told that the French owner you are thinking of from Yamato ( Le Strogonoff restaurant), died a while back, hence no restaurant any more. However, Le Strogonoff 2 is still a going concern on Pratumnak so the reports of his demise may be premature; Could be a different owner tho'. Edited by Fatboyfat
  • 1 year later...

La Petite Planete is another restaurant where I used to eat frequently, but my visits became very infrequent when I moved from the area. I've been back several times in the past few weeks, so I decided it's time for an update.

20.jpg

Outwardly, not much has changed. It's still the small, well-lit and spotlessly clean restaurant I remember. Even though it had been at least two years since I'd eaten there, the staff remembered me and gave me a very warm welcome.

On my first return visit a month ago I had the weekend (only) special, couscous royale. I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics. The couscous had been a favorite at La Petite Planete and I was happy to renew my acquaintance with it. There was a large helping of very tasty slow-cooked lamb and huge portions of couscous and vegetables. It's still the best couscous I've had in Pattaya.

21.jpg

Last night I had the three-course special at 320 baht. You can mix-and-match among three different starters, main dishes and desserts. I chose to begin with the tomato and mozzarella salad, which was a bit of a disappointment. Never the mozzarella nor the tomatoes had much taste and were overwhelmed by the vinegar dressing.

22.jpg

I had the tournedos with Roquefort sauce as my main course. Tournedos are sliced from the beef tenderloin and often called filet mignon in the U.S. I asked for it medium rare, but it got it rare.

23.jpg

That's OK with me as I prefer beef rare when it is tender and my tournedos certainly was. The surface was seared nicely and well seasoned with pepper.

24.jpg

The Roquefort sauce, which I used on my mashed potatoes and vegetables, had plenty of flavor. The chef hadn't skimped on the cheese, whic is how I like it. The mashed potatoes were also good and the standard vegetables (peas, arrots, cauliflower) didn't have all the taste boiled out of them.

25.jpg

I finished with fruit crepes. I expected it would come with tropical fruit, but the thin pancake was topped with a cherry compote and ice cream.

26.jpg

It was quite good and not too sweet, but the bottom layer was more of a thin pancake than a crepes because of its texture.

The meal was satisfactory but not excellent, not quite at the level I recalled at La Petite Planete. The couscous, however, held the old mettle. SML cost 80 baht/bottle.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Hey Evil, I heard of a place on the Darkside and would appreciate one of your reviews...

I am suggesting Suggestions. It is on Tripadvisor and Facebook.

French style and well spoken of to me recently.

Edited by jacko

Hey Evil, I heard of a place on the Darkside and would appreciate one of your reviews...

I'm guessing that's out of EP's travel area. I too have heard good things about it and seen reviews, and it's almost too far for me to travel for a meal, and I have transport. EP doesn't.

BUT.....since you are a darksider, how about you go there and tell us about it?

Take your camera (I doubt your phone has picture taking capability, or did you upgrade it from our dinner at the PBG? dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

EP, yes, the couscous are very good. Did you have them on Saturday, because I was told they made them only on Saturday.

I'm guessing that's out of EP's travel area. I too have heard good things about it and seen reviews, and it's almost too far for me to travel for a meal, and I have transport. EP doesn't.

BUT.....since you are a darksider, how about you go there and tell us about it?

Take your camera (I doubt your phone has picture taking capability, or did you upgrade it from our dinner at the PBG? dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

EP, yes, the couscous are very good. Did you have them on Saturday, because I was told they made them only on Saturday.

Well actually I don't live on the dark-side, I am well North of town only just over Sukhumvit.

Six or 7 years ago I lived about 1km down Soi Siam CC which isn't far from it.

And my new phone can take 13 MP pics from one side and 5MP pics from the other, what for is a complete mystery to me.

You know I am normally rather too occupied for phone-play when I go out.

I have another pal trying out the Suggestions place but only the lunch-time menu.

I have also heard good things about Suggestions and would be happy to try it. But as MM writes, it's a bit out of my travel range. Not so much the distance but the hassle of getting there and most of all, getting back. As I understand it, Suggestions is down the road from Aroi and it took a looong time in the back of a chartered baht bus to get to Aroi. On that occasion, I got a ride back with a friend, but I'm not sure how easy it would be on my own.

Anyway, if the chance arises, I'll do a review of Suggestions, but it may not be soon.

My recollection is that it was Saturdays and Sundays, but that's going back to 2008-2011, when I lived at the Mosaik Apartments on my visits to Pattaya and for three months when I first moved here. I could be remembering wrong or they could have changed to Saturdays only.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • 8 months later...

On Monday night, the last safe night before Songkran, I had planned to visit Deli Diner to try its four-course menu (299 baht) again. Turns out Deli Diner is closed Mondays, but no problem. I ate at La Petite Planete, which is exactly next door.

IMGP5960.jpg

When I lived in the viciniy, I ate frequently at La Petite Planete and never had a bad meal. Now I eat there only occasionally but the food still holds a consistently high standard. I was particularly happy to see the Couscous Royal (395 baht) was on offer Monday, as in the past, you've only been able to get it on weekends.

Untitled-3.jpg

La Petite Planete was nearly empty when I stepped in at about 7.00 pm ...

IMGP5937.jpg

but six more customers dribbled in while I was eating. I noticed four of them also ordered the Couscous Royal.

IMGP5943.jpg

It's a very large portion that includes chicken (leg and thigh); a chunk of lamb; a meatball; merguez, a spicy North African lamb sausage; a bowl of stewed root vegetables and chick peas; and a platterful of couscous.

IMGP5954 - Copy.jpg

IMGP5942.jpg

The vegetables yield a delicious sauce that is quite spicy, but the spiciness is nicely balanced by the blandness of the couscous.

The meat components are tender and flavorful. I really like the bite of the merguez.

IMGP5946.jpg

IMGP5947.jpg

IMGP5951 - Copy.jpg

IMGP5955.jpg

Luckily, I hadn't eaten much on Monday, so I was able to do justice to most of the serving. I didn't walk away hungry, that's for sure.

IMGP5957.jpg

La Petite Planete also has a three-course set menu variation for 320 baht.

Untitled-1.jpg

Bottom line: La Petite Planete has been offering quality French foods for quite a few years and manages to remain very consistent. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to competition from its lower-priced next door neighbor. It's a rather curious coincidence that there are about six French restaurants in close proximity to each other near Tukcom.

Evil