Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Registered Charities in Thailand

One of the things I thought about getting involved with when I'm up country was setting up an after school 'club' for kids to start using and learning about computers, but as the cost of buying a full PC is out of the reach of most households it didn't look to be a practical thing to do.

BUT, there is a new little 'gizmo' called the Rasperry Pi ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/ ) which has just been released by the RasperryPi Foundation which may make this idea possible. It'll run Linux and will handle mutimedia ( Think Pentium 2 with MUCH better grapic capability ) and the base price is only $35. Add a keyboard, SD card and cable to hook up to the TV and you've got a working computer.

The biggest stumbling block is the 40% Import Duty and high shipping costs, but if I could get something linked with a charity, then I've been informed that it may be possible to work something out.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing

Anyone have any contacts in registered charities that may be interested in this idea? If so, either post or maybe send me a PM.

Edited by Skygod

One of the things I thought about getting involved with when I'm up country was setting up an after school 'club' for kids to start using and learning about computers, but as the cost of buying a full PC is out of the reach of most households it didn't look to be a practical thing to do.

Isn't "1 computer (or tablet) for 1 child" (or something along those lines) one of the current government's priorities? Getting appropriate educational software in Thai is one of the biggest hurdles.

As for charities - there are loads of kids' and community charities out there ... The Bangkok Post Outlook Section is also a great source of information.

You need to be very careful about getting involved for free ... what you're doing may turn out to be the responsibility of someone else and your efforts cause them to lose face, and they then get upset, and so on, and so on ...

Edited by CheshireTom

Okay,

The OPC (one per child) initiative is completely screwed up in that manufacturers cannot actually make the product for the advertised price and then they have requested that governments subsidise the difference.

The 'PC' that I am looking at is basic, but it stands a chance of providing a price level that is affordable in Issan. A board director of of one of the licensed manufacturers has also hinted that if the distribution can be through a recognised charity then a number of units could be provided.

Raising money for charity and being a recognised charity are different things.

This has to be a legitimate channel and the charity would probably need to have 'improving technology skills' as part of it's overall brief.

I'm sure that such organisations exist, but it's finding them that's the problem.

(I've checked through that Bangkok Post link and the data is so out of date unfortunately that it's not possible to contact most of the relevant people.)

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR MONEY.

I just need to get a valid existing charity to act as conduit in order that the corporation can validate any donation as 'Charitable' and goods can then be valued as 'free' with no duties payable instead of having to pay the standard 40% for Computer Goods.

Whether the corporation will subsidise the full cost; I am not sure. however making the product available at a low price which is affordable to the majoity IS.

(In answer to CheshireTom, I have been invited by the headman of the village and also the local government officials in Koh Khamin to help with the developing both IT and English Language skills for the local schools. I understand that this is probably in breach of the terms of my 'retirement' Visa, but EVERYONE has simply said "You help Thailand; Thailand help you; Not worry. You not work, you not get salary, but we take care you.")

Edited by Skygod

(In answer to CheshireTom, I have been invited by the headman of the village and also the local government officials in Koh Khamin to help with the developing both IT and English Language skills for the local schools. I understand that this is probably in breach of the terms of my 'retirement' Visa, but EVERYONE has simply said "You help Thailand; Thailand help you; Not worry. You not work, you not get salary, but we take care you.")

Unless the head of immigration and the head of your local labor office have both said you don't need a B or Marriage Visa and associated Work Permit, the 'views' of the local kamnan and local government officials count for nothing. Whether or not you receive a salary is irrelevant. And why wouldn't they pay Ajarn George when central government funding is available for precisely that reason, i.e. schools that employ native English teachers?

Edited by CheshireTom