Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I ate at the Lone Star Texas Grill on Soi Lengkee (LK Metro area) last night. Here's the meal I had:

post-6485-1331544655.jpg

The corn chips and dip were complementary and came with the beer. The chips were homemade and very good. It would have been better with a little salsa instead of the dip, but that's no biggy considering it was complementary.

I ordered the Sunday special, which was filet steak for 199 baht. I ordered a medium potato salad (60 baht) and corn on the cob (40 baht) as sides. I don't remember exactly how much the San Miguel Light was, but I think 70 or 80 baht.

post-6485-1331544669.jpg

post-6485-1331544681.jpg

I ordered the steak rare and it wasn't overcooked. It was tender and for local beef, tasty. My only criticism would be that the grill wasn't hot enough or the cook took the steak off too quickly. It could have done with a bit more surface "char," which would have given it a better color and would have imparted more of the charcoal grill flavor, but wouldn't have cooked the meat too much on the inside.

EDIT IN: The owner of the Lone Star has said on another board that there was some confusion on the part of his staff and the daily specials should include two sides as part of the 199-baht price. He also agreed the corn chips should come with salsa and that the steak should have been grilled better. He's taken some constructive criticism to heart. Assuming the next time a customer orders a fillet steak for 199 baht and gets two side dishes as well as an attractively grilled steak, then that would be a bargain in the hard-to-beat category..

The potato salad was good - it wasn't overpowered by the dressing - and it was a generous portion for medium. The corn was properly cooked and tasted fresh. I thought the meal was well worth the price I paid - 300 baht for the food. It was good value - and taste - for the money. You have to be realistic in your expectations. Better steaks (imported Australian beef) are available at the Lone Star and elsewhere in Pattaya, but you'll pay more than 199 baht for them. For what I got, the price was very reasonable.

I had no problems with the service. The food came quickly and with a smile. The waitress had explained to me that the special only included the steak and sides had to be ordered separately. She also tried to tell me something about the sauce or gravy, but I couldn't make out what she saying. I certainly don't want gravy with a charcoal grilled steak and thankfully, it came in a boat. I didn't bother to taste it.

The next time I visit the Lone Star I'll try the ribs. That's what most of the other customers (it was about half-full at 8 p.m. last night) appeared to be having. The restaurant has Tex Mex and Mexican food as well as a variety of steaks and several types of smoked ribs. There are daily specials for 179 or 199 baht for the budget minded. If your TG doesn't like farang food, the Lone Star offers Thai dishes as well.

I'm not much worried about a restaurant's decor, especially when I'm eating alone. But the Lone Star is a relatively new place (been open a few months) and it was clean, comfortable and well lit, with colorful accents on and along the walls.

Evil

devil.gif

Some other pics from the Lone Star:

post-6485-1331544696.jpg

post-6485-1331544709.jpg

post-6485-1331544722.jpg

post-6485-1331544735.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

I had a plate of Nachos as a starter and a Rib Eye steak. You can pick 3 sides out of an option of 7 or so.

The TGF had the ribs which I got a share of.

It was all pretty good.

How much tip did you leave? 200? :llaugh

As always, I gave the waitress exactly what was appropriate. Not one baht more, not one baht less. That way, I can never under tip or over tip.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm an experienced traveller (Been visiting Pattaya since 1975) and enjoy discovery and finding new gems in my travels. However, sometimes it’s good to get a 'heads up' on changes and new ventures.

I'm looking forward to some ribs later this year.

On my next trip I will be staying at China Gardens. This has been well praised on the boards. Last trip I enjoyed dinner there and at the Jolly Friar (after reading forum comments).

It’s an example of how helpful to us is the information passed on by the likes of EP. Thanks a million once more. I have been visiting Tuc- Com for years and never dreamed there were little French restaurants to try around the corner!

Thanks once again for being our eyes and taster for what’s happening around town.

I also read that another old favourite The Orleans Café has moved and changed.

Its not all about the food!

I also intend to visit some of those ‘gentlemen clubs’ and darkside places this year. I missed out last October as the crawl was on the day of my arrival so just missed it.

So that is why we put up with occasional crap and ignorance and smart arsed comments by a few pr…s from time to time.

And why this has always been my favourite board in Asia.

Keep up the good work and the pen scribing Evil

‘till October au revoire

Regards Papadoc

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not like any steak I've ever eaten in Texas.

Texans over-rate themselves. I have had some pretty crap steaks in Texas.

Best I had ever, Kansas City Mo, but depends on the restaurant.

Edited by jacko

The first time I ever had ribs was in Nellie Cashmans restaurant (I think) Boot Hill AZ . USA about 1981. Loved them ever since.

I can get a brilliant steak at the wonderful Breakfast Creek Hotel in Brisbane... But its going to cost me AUD 30 - 40. So I am very happy to discover decent acceptable eateries where I can have enjoyable meals for under $6 and even if you get the western steaks etc we are still only around $12- $15. I often have a nice one at Patricks in the lane off Soi Dianne or The previously mentioned Cafe Orleans. I'l leave it at that for now I nearly got carried away there and thinking about some of my favourite places around Sukhumvite Bangkok.

Now look what you've done....I'm feeling hungry now....

Papadoc

http://www.breakfastcreekhotel.com/downloads/breakfastcreek_steak_Menu.pdf

Texans over-rate themselves. I have had some pretty crap steaks in Texas.

Best I had ever, Kansas City Mo, but depends on the restaurant.

Best steak i ever had was in Patricks Belgium restaurant in the arcade on the corner of soi Diana and 2nd road, and yes the worst was in Houston last year ata some kind of Texan Steak house

Best steak i ever had was in Patricks Belgium restaurant in the arcade on the corner of soi Diana and 2nd road, and yes the worst was in Houston last year ata some kind of Texan Steak house

Well I was in Pasadena, outskirts of Houston and I too had a crappy one at some Texas steak house. I was hoping for good things and I got one that had been cooked from frozen I think. Tough....... Some good strip clubs there though!!!

Not like any steak I've ever eaten in Texas.

Steaks can look a lot of different ways, even in Texas. That night at the Lone Star it was fillet steak, which admittedly isn't a popular a cut in the U.S.

As I said, visitors to Pattaya have to be realistic in their expectations. You'll probably never be able to find the equivalent of the really great steaks you get in the best steakhouses in the U.S. or Australia. Local Thai beef will always fall short of U.S. or Australian beef.

But the fillet steak I had at the Lone Star was reasonable for the price. Apparently the restaurant has had some problems with consistency - some nights bad, some nights good and other nights so so. I plan to do a follow up visit to see if the owner has dealt with the problem points.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Well I was in Pasadena, outskirts of Houston and I too had a crappy one at some Texas steak house. I was hoping for good things and I got one that had been cooked from frozen I think. Tough....... Some good strip clubs there though!!!

Been there and done that last year with a very big bill at the end of the night.......ouch!!

Been watching this thread but not put my 2 cents in yet.... but will do now.

My first experience at lone star was terrible... steak ordered medium rare and came out well done and more like beef jerky than steak. The onion rings were ok... but not great, and the potato skins were just plain nasty - obviously cooked much earlier in the day (many many hours) and microwaved before they were served.

At the time I could not get internet on my phone so I didnt even check in, but related the report to a few friends here...

Now... that all said, after reading Evil's review I am willing to give them another go... but no more after that if it turns out bad again.

I will say that there was a good flavor to the meat... even tho it was way too cooked. If they had cooked it properly it would have been a excellent steak. Too bad they fucked it up beyond repair lol :D

I will give it a shot again some afternoon in the next couple weeks and update this report... sounds like one of the shifts just totally blows and one may be good... need to figure out which is which.

My first experience at lone star was terrible... steak ordered medium rare and came out well done and more like beef jerky than steak. The onion rings were ok... but not great, and the potato skins were just plain nasty - obviously cooked much earlier in the day (many many hours) and microwaved before they were served.

At the time I could not get internet on my phone so I didnt even check in, but related the report to a few friends here...

Now... that all said, after reading Evil's review I am willing to give them another go... but no more after that if it turns out bad again.

I will say that there was a good flavor to the meat... even tho it was way too cooked. If they had cooked it properly it would have been a excellent steak. Too bad they fucked it up beyond repair lol :D

I will give it a shot again some afternoon in the next couple weeks and update this report... sounds like one of the shifts just totally blows and one may be good... need to figure out which is which.

It often depends on the time of day... they rarely employ 2 good cooks so if the primary one is out back eating somtam and yakking on his/her phone, you get the girl who normally sweeps up doing the steak, and she doesn't even know what it is. I have also found generally in Thailand, instructions you give to the waiter, well you might as well tell the cat!

Why didn't you send the steak back and get one cooked as per your order?

I tried the full rack ribs here, wasn't real impressed, but sure didn't leave hungry, sides were huge. Was also disappointed in the China Garden, same ownership, wouldn't dine there again. At Jolly Frier, fish was good but chips were awful. Many thanks to the OP for taking the time to do an excellent formal review.

I tried the full rack ribs here, wasn't real impressed, but sure didn't leave hungry, sides were huge. Was also disappointed in the China Garden, same ownership, wouldn't dine there again. At Jolly Frier, fish was good but chips were awful. Many thanks to the OP for taking the time to do an excellent formal review.

I've seen the ribs on their TV advert and they look dry and crusty. Yuck.

American Rib Company on Theprassit road does a good rib... and so does Hard Rock Cafe.

ARC doesn't do anything now.

ARC doesn't do anything now.

Really? they closed?

Too bad if so... was a really good meal. Out in the middle of nowhere tho - so it wouldn't surprise me. Worst location in the world for someplace like that. Would have made a killing if they would have been in the tourist zone.

The Shenaneghans doa friday night special on ribs, eat all you want for about 295 baht, and they are good ribs

I used to like the ribs at Cafe New Orleans, Pattayaland 2. Haven't eaten there for years. Anyone know if they are still serving them?