Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Martin, I used to like Cafe New Orleans also. But the last two times I was there the ribs were attached to spine which grossed me out. I wondered what animal they were barbecuing. So I haven't been back.

For awhile Tequila Reef had good stuff. But (again) the portions got smaller and the ribs weren't slow cooked. Just heated up and had sauce poured on top.

I really enjoy good ribs. Finding good ones' in Pattaya ain't easy. In the States I enjoy the Outback Restaurant near where I live. Wonderful!

Little Roy

• Upvote 1

Beefeater has all-U-can-eat ribs, with chicken and make-ur-own tacos Saturday and Sunday from noon until 4 for 250, one of the better deals in town I think. BTW, there's an Outback in Siam Discovery Center in Bangers, but haven't tried their ribs, just the ribeye.

Really? they closed?

Too bad if so... was a really good meal. Out in the middle of nowhere tho - so it wouldn't surprise me. Worst location in the world for someplace like that. Would have made a killing if they would have been in the tourist zone.

Yep, was a post on it a month or so back that I can't be be bothered searching out..... I wasn't sure myself prior to that as I kept looking for the place and was unable to spot it when I went down Threpasit. (No surprise there, I whizzed past the Ford dealers 3 times too as I went for the service).

The location always surprised me too, like it was ignoring the tourist custom stuck out there.

Edited by jacko

Ate here twice last visit Paul loved the rbs at Bar B Q Bobs and said there just as good, both times only had the half baby back ribs and both times they filled the plate. I had the nachoes as a main, different with slided meat instead of mince and the last time chicken burritos all very nice. And large 99 baht frozen margaritas.

American Rib Company on Theprassit road does a good rib... and so does Hard Rock Cafe.

HRC does not do good ribs, they are rank and completely shite.!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been watching this thread but not put my 2 cents in yet.... but will do now.

My first experience at lone star was terrible... steak ordered medium rare and came out well done and more like beef jerky than steak. The onion rings were ok... but not great, and the potato skins were just plain nasty - obviously cooked much earlier in the day (many many hours) and microwaved before they were served.

At the time I could not get internet on my phone so I didnt even check in, but related the report to a few friends here...

Now... that all said, after reading Evil's review I am willing to give them another go... but no more after that if it turns out bad again.

I will say that there was a good flavor to the meat... even tho it was way too cooked. If they had cooked it properly it would have been a excellent steak. Too bad they fucked it up beyond repair lol :D

I will give it a shot again some afternoon in the next couple weeks and update this report... sounds like one of the shifts just totally blows and one may be good... need to figure out which is which.

Hi all,

New to forum and hate to disagree on first post. However, went in Lone Star tonight and it was great. The previous comments seem to disregard the price. Where in the western world do you get a decent rib eye for 199 baht. It's decent, it aint great, but I'm not paying 400 baht plus for it.

Rick.

Hi all,

New to forum and hate to disagree on first post. However, went in Lone Star tonight and it was great. The previous comments seem to disregard the price. Where in the western world do you get a decent rib eye for 199 baht. It's decent, it aint great, but I'm not paying 400 baht plus for it.

Rick.

I paid for the premium imported steak... don't remember price but somewhere in the 800 baht range. No it was not acceptable at that price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had a Ribeye there and it wasn't bad for the price.

The biggest problem with the Lone Star seems to be inconsistency. In different reports, the description of the food served has varied from good to not acceptable. I've eaten three meals there, all the Sunday steak specials. The first was described in the OP. The second came two weeks later. The steak itself was cooked the same as in the OP, so no improvement there, but the quality of the side dishes had diminished. The third time was at the end of April and everything was fine, with the steak grilled properly. An American friend and his girlfriend also ate steaks and they were both happy.

I've heard the owner has been out of Thailand for family and business reasons. Very often when the owner isn't on site, the quality slips. Maybe that is the reason behind the varying reports.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

I've heard the owner has been out of Thailand for family and business reasons. Very often when the owner isn't on site, the quality slips. Maybe that is the reason behind the varying reports.

The owner is now the ex-owner. He sold both the Lone Star and Jolly Friar on 30th May :smile:

ate at the Texas grill once and it was ok. Kinda unfair to comment really as I had the chicken special as I'm kineow.

Kinda hard to mess up chicken and chips in my book.

Sold now huh?

The friar will go downhill now I'm afraid.

The owner is now the ex-owner. He sold both the Lone Star and Jolly Friar on 30th May :smile:

That puts things in perspective. But I wish the new owner luck. The Lone Star definitely has potential.

Evil

Do you happen to know if the Jolly Friar in Jomtien went too?

Do you happen to know if the Jolly Friar in Jomtien went too?

On the Secrets'board, the former owner Cronus said:

"The Jolly Friar in Jomtien is owned and operated my friend Mark and his wife Mai, they will be changing their name slightly in due course to reflect the sale of the Pattaya Jolly Friar and I wish them luck with their expansion plans. I have spoken with Mark and he wants to reassure everyone 'nothing will change' in Jomtien except the name!"

In that same post, he wrote that he was divesting his "business concerns" in Thailand to concentrate on a China-based export company. In answer to follow-up questions, he said he still owned China Garden and it was being run by his wife's brother and a Thai manager.

He also said the new owner of the Lone Star and Pattaya Jolly Friar was named Kell, who would be "coming to the boards" soon.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

On the Secrets'board, the former owner Cronus said:

"The Jolly Friar in Jomtien is owned and operated my friend Mark and his wife Mai, they will be changing their name slightly in due course to reflect the sale of the Pattaya Jolly Friar and I wish them luck with their expansion plans. I have spoken with Mark and he wants to reassure everyone 'nothing will change' in Jomtien except the name!"

In that same post, he wrote that he was divesting his "business concerns" in Thailand to concentrate on a China-based export company. In answer to follow-up questions, he said he still owned China Garden and it was being run by his wife's brother and a Thai manager.

He also said the new owner of the Lone Star and Pattaya Jolly Friar was named Kell, who would be "coming to the boards" soon.

Evil

Well thanks for the feedback although initially I feel it is not positive regarding the China Garden.

A case or wait and see I guess.

Well thanks for the feedback although initially I feel it is not positive regarding the China Garden.

A case or wait and see I guess.

Jacko, I’m just back from a 20 night stay at the China Garden and found it excellent overall for food and accommodation. Will do a full review later in the week but cant be beat on quality for the price IMHO. :thumbup

Bob's BBQ made really good ribs. Hated to see him leave.

Iv'e come to the conclusion that the Lone Star Texas Grill is intended to appeal to Brits and Europeans that want to try American food but that don't know what real American food looks and tastes like, Since the number of Brits and Europeans in Thailand way outnumber Americans, you can't blame the owner for the approach.

Any restaurant in the US pushing minature wings would be out of business very quickly. I ordered some hot wings and they had no kick to them which is very surprising in Thailand but which tells me who they are cooking to.

The owner does take criticism well and as a result the quality will improve and I will be back.

Edited by short
  • Upvote 1

I paid for the premium imported steak... don't remember price but somewhere in the 800 baht range. No it was not acceptable at that price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would have spoken to the manager on duty and sent it back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would have spoken to the manager on duty and sent it back.

that should work in one of Ian's restaurants but what about the 1000's of other ones out there?

that should work in one of Ian's restaurants but what about the 1000's of other ones out there?

I can't speak about the 1000's of other restaurants but I've sent back a couple of steaks at the Tequila Reef that were inedible. No problem at the Reef but I did have a problem with the owner at Gregg's Kitchen. Gregg lost a good customer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't speak about the 1000's of other restaurants but I've sent back a couple of steaks at the Tequila Reef that were inedible. No problem at the Reef but I did have a problem with the owner at Gregg's Kitchen. Gregg lost a good customer.

Ate at Gregg's once.

That was enough for me.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Ate" there tonight and had the rib eye special.

Chips tasted stale (complimentary.)

Steak came really fast and it was undercooked (just like the opening post) and the cold tasteless onion rings had obviously been cooked before my order was placed.

Wasted 200 baht IMO as I ended up getting dinner from a street vendor instead.

Was thinking about trying the China Garden afterwards. No, not really. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello im part of the new team that has taken over the jolly frair -lonestar and le kathai (now called the Devonshire) we took over at the start of june .. when which 6 of the staff from lonestar ..cooking and service left (due to the fact they had been stealing from the last owner and now could not get away with it as we are always on site ...) so i.m happy its low season as we are tring to get all the new staff trained up for high season.. luckly the main chef formally from bobs BBQ stayed on to train the new staff ect... we seem to have been getting things right for the last few weeks and i will invite any one to now try our new and improved lonestar restaurant .. we have a 400.000 bart smoker for the best taste in our Ribs it slow cooks them to perfection .any Helpful comments, ideas are allways greatfully recieved as we are trying to build a Great tex-mex restaurant

thanks Tim