Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

You see the blue and yellow meter taxis around Pattaya. Haven't had occasion to use one, but it could happen. Do they use (ever use) the meter for trips around Pattaya/Jomtien?

• 1 month later...

I heard they would like to,but the transport mafia aka the bahtbus drivers won't tolerate their moneymaking activities being compromised by any serious rivalry,and so they are frightened to turn them on...ever....consequences are floating the the sea or a klong with unexplained puncture wounds round the vital organs. So,they line up around supermarkets where shoppers with heavy parcels will pay a couple of hundred baht or more to ferry their provisions from store to refrigerator.

I heard they would like to,but the transport mafia aka the bahtbus drivers won't tolerate their moneymaking activities being compromised by any serious rivalry,and so they are frightened to turn them on...ever....consequences are floating the the sea or a klong with unexplained puncture wounds round the vital organs. So,they line up around supermarkets where shoppers with heavy parcels will pay a couple of hundred baht or more to ferry their provisions from store to refrigerator.

Where did you hear that?

It seems more likely that they hope to make more than the standard meter charge.

It also offers an opportunity to fiddle the records of takings.

My experience is that they would NOT like to turn them on....... now you have me nervous that if he does we will be mobbed by angry baht bus drivers.

Its what I researched prior to a trip in March. Not sure of my original source,but just googled this from TV :

"Had an interesting conversation with an English fluent taxi meter driver recently. No news really but interesting

Here's the skinny --

1. No they don't use the meters

2. Yes, they aren't allowed to use the meters.

3. Their role is not to be direct competition to the baht bus drivers

4. During low season, they drive a very small percentage of time, almost all waiting

5. High season busy enough

6. Agreed much of the town isn't covered by the baht buses so in those areas, they aren't really hurting baht buses

7. Clear that the big boss in this game is the baht bus collective

8. Agreed it would be a good thing if the system with taxis here was like Bangkok, that drivers would actually make more money that way, as they would be driving most of the time rather than sitting and waiting for overpriced fares

9. Seemed to indicate there was "fixed prices" for standard runs but that was kind of vague

10. Felt there was really no hope this situation would change, the big powers too strong, the little people including drivers mean nothing"

Source http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/466010-a-pattaya-taxi-meter-driver-speaks/

I tried to hire a couple,they laughed when I asked for the meter to be used.

I think they really want to work/earn,but can't. They don't plot up on Second Road outside Villa for hours on end because they want to,turning down work all day and every day.

I'll have another look and try and find the "original" source I got the info from.

Certainly Pattaya does not need empty taxis cruising around choking up traffic.... the baht buses are an issue in that respect.

Interesting that the taxis get prime parking opposite the shopping centres, where the baht buses permit it.

I think the baht buses are doing quite well these days, down beach Rd and coming from Jomtiem they are full and expect people to dangerously hang off the back. As you say they are a strong mafia and the man supposedly at the top defers to them, similarly per his ineptitude or unwillingness in stamping out the jet-ski scammers.

I think people like hanging off the back....its not as precarious as it looks,there's a wide footplate,bars that wrap around your shoulders,back and legs,and a firm handle to grip on to.In fact,I prefer to ride upright. It might look dramatic,but is far from replicating the trains that criss-cross India with entire families holding on by their fingernails.

I haven't found the detailed source I first read from which I made my original claim as yet. It related the history of the meter taxis being authorised set against the intimidation applied to stop them being used. The baht busses are so lucrative that any challenge to their earning potential is inflamatory to say the least.Which is why the competitive aspect has been strangled at birth,and the taxis are a sideshow,not the main event.

I think people like hanging off the back....its not as precarious as it looks,there's a wide footplate,bars that wrap around your shoulders,back and legs,and a firm handle to grip on to.In fact,I prefer to ride upright. It might look dramatic,but is far from replicating the trains that criss-cross India with entire families holding on by their fingernails.

I haven't found the detailed source I first read from which I made my original claim as yet. It related the history of the meter taxis being authorised set against the intimidation applied to stop them being used. The baht busses are so lucrative that any challenge to their earning potential is inflamatory to say the least.Which is why the competitive aspect has been strangled at birth,and the taxis are a sideshow,not the main event.

Have you seen how they are hanging off the back these days, many do not seem to have those bars actually wrapped around them....

It would only take a chrome bar slippery from say sun-tan lotion for a one handed grip to fail. I have stopped using them, the Russians don't seem to want to shuffle up and let one sit and I do not want to become a grisly picture on a Pattaya rag.

I've done it and may do it again, but let's be real, if you are riding on the back platform, you are in deep trouble if almost anything happens beyond hitting a pot-hole.

An interesting new (at least to me) development happened during my March trip whilst waiting for a Baht bus on Second Road between Sois 13/3 and 13/4. On two occasions, metered taxis slowed down for me until i indicated I wasn't interested. As others have noted in different threads, the buses often do not want to stop for 10Baht rides these days. I just wonder if, in a few years' time, we will be forced to take taxis.

3 times now wee hours of the morning at

soi diamond 2nd road, been just about to hop aboard private hire baht bus to go home jomtien , instead was re directed to Taxi waiting in front of baht bus

same price but air conditioned

soif your hot n sweaty with a girly in tow cant be bad luverly

• 3 years later...

Has anyone any experience of chartering these meter taxi's by the hour or half day and what rate would i reasonably expect to pay? If i've got two or three things to do would rather travel around in comfort rather than hopping on and off baht buses. On my last trip i used one of the limo companies to take me to an out of town restaurant returning three or four hours later ( the guy just slept in the car in the parking lot ) and was charged around 900 baht.

Thanks

Neil

Has anyone any experience of chartering these meter taxi's by the hour or half day and what rate would i reasonably expect to pay? If i've got two or three things to do would rather travel around in comfort rather than hopping on and off baht buses. On my last trip i used one of the limo companies to take me to an out of town restaurant returning three or four hours later ( the guy just slept in the car in the parking lot ) and was charged around 900 baht.

Thanks

Neil

I think I would do that again if I was you......

See if Mr T or Mr Toom will give you a quote.