Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Why do Thais spend so long at the ATM"s

Why do Thai people seem to spend so long withdrawing money when it only takes me a few seconds.I was stood behind someone this morning for at least 10 mins,and no she wasnt sending money bank to bank,just making a withdrawal.Is it just plain stupidity or what?

Have you seen them drive?

Why would you suppose their command of an ATM would be any better?

;)

In any case its not that Bank to Bank transfers via ATM need any higher mental acuity anyhow

Edited by Regyai

Apart from bank to bank transfers they;

top up their phone credit

top up mums phone credit

top up sisters phone credit

top up brothers phone credit

top up boyfriends phone credit

then pay a few bills and transfer money to other family members

all the while checking the balance after each transaction - just to annoy us !!

I can understand their paranoia. Given that bank's seem to make many mistakes and for some strange reason. They are in the bank's favor most times.

• Upvote 1

Apart from bank to bank transfers they;

top up their phone credit

top up mums phone credit

top up sisters phone credit

top up brothers phone credit

top up boyfriends phone credit

then pay a few bills and transfer money to other family members

Most seem to have using the ATM down to a fine art. Let them have your debit/credit card for a couple of days and find out what will happen. :lsmile

I told the TGF recently I would take care of the water bill... when I got there it was pretty busy, a few holidays had occured prior.

I felt happy to get in a seemingly shorter queue, until the guy in-front of me got to the counter, and produced a thick pile of bills out of his bag to be paid, one at a time. :banghead.

How did he know I was going to be behind him??

I told the TGF recently I would take care of the water bill... when I got there it was pretty busy, a few holidays had occured prior.

I felt happy to get in a seemingly shorter queue, until the guy in-front of me got to the counter, and produced a thick pile of bills out of his bag to be paid, one at a time. :banghead.

How did he know I was going to be behind him??

Jacko, dont you pay your bill at 7 - 11??

We pay all of ours there

Because they are not a-type nervous time consumed fucks rushing to do everything like we have been programmed to do. Life is short. Relax.

Jack

Jacko, dont you pay your bill at 7 - 11??

We pay all of ours there

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, normally the TGF takes care of them. (7-11 charges 10 baht you know... :D ) It is just on that day I was on my way into town and it is no effort to stop by the waterworks, or so I thought!

As an aside to that I am currently having a problem with my TOT bill, which I did pay at the 7-11 last month, but the money hasn't 'arrived'! (The bills are sent from Bangkok, and it didn't arrive at the house until after the due by date. Generally 7-11 will not accept them, but I didn't notice,and it went through at the counter, and now I have a bill for double the regular monthly payment. ) This also arrived after the due by date. Way beyond my abilities and patience to resolve!

Edited by jacko

i do not think the thais have cornered the market on doing this. i think supermarkets are a lot worse. you stand behind a women and after they scan everything the check out person tells them how much. they then open there bag and start to look for there purse take the purse out then pay the amount. they then get the change put in there purse and put it back in there bag. and then if you are lucky they move if not they stand there trying to decide what to do next

• Upvote 3

I was stood behind some old Thai lady in 7-11 the other day who spent about 10 mins at the till trying to decide which hot dog she wanted.Infuriating

And that is why I NEVER take the TGF shopping!

That is why I give my Thai wife 30,000 baht per month. She pays all the utilities including my Internet, buys my cigarettes, clothes, household needs and food. It works well for me and allows me to be my normal lazy self.

• Upvote 1

i do not think the thais have cornered the market on doing this. i think supermarkets are a lot worse. you stand behind a women and after they scan everything the check out person tells them how much. they then open there bag and start to look for there purse take the purse out then pay the amount. they then get the change put in there purse and put it back in there bag. and then if you are lucky they move if not they stand there trying to decide what to do next

Thats not just Thailand, thats all over the world

Here in CA it's a matter of standing behind someone trying to sort out what they can use their foodstamps for and what they have to pay for themselves.... The wait's never really that bad though - the checkers are all quite experienced with the racket. Grrrrrr ATMs though - I use a CU and there's seldom much of a wait, although the outage rate is probably slightly above avg.

Here, i wonder why it is that i end up behind the person who is arranging the refinancing of the Greek financial system at my local Starbucks.

Stupid me for asking, but why don't you guys pay your bills online?

Yes, I was thinking of doing that with my recent problems.

One thing I do not want to do is set up a standing order... I like to control who is dipping into my account.

As to your original question, distrust and a misguided old-fashioned belief that Thai banks wouldn't get it right.

Could end up with even more hassle should you have problems.With my recent experiences in my bank i would rather pay my bills in person.

Many businesses are not set up for online banking. Those that are, sometimes quietly change their billing name through mergers and spinoffs and you find you've been paying the wrong business for 3 months when the new entity threatens to cut off your service.

After that, it might take weeks, and many hours of your time, to settle things so you (1) keep your service and (2) get credit for the payments you have made.

Electronic payments here in Thailand are not quite up to western standards. Some are, but if even one isn't, you'll find yourself at a 7-11 or merchant shop paying your bill(s).

Thai's love money. The less money a Thai has the more they love money. The ATM is where the money is, like a bar for alcoholics, like a bar for sex aholics, a dictionary or potion nbr9 for spell lovers. Just natural to like to spend time at the fountain of money.

• Downvote 1

I think that when you select the "English Language" option at the beginning of the transaction, it cuts out all the Thai language ads that the locals are subsequently bombarded with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I ask the same question when I'm waiting at an ATM here in the west. Only its falangs I'm waiting behind.

Some people are freaked out by keypads and screens, some are old, some are drunk, some just off the bus from East Buttfuck, others have been living in a cave, a few are doing an LBO and some are just plain fucking stupid.

• Upvote 1

And some are just plain impatient.......

I was hoping to get some cash yesterday from an ATM, and take it from an overseas account.

So of course it must be an Aeon machine.

I know it can be busy at Tesco in Nua so went the other way, Harbor Mall (Laem Chabang). There was a queue that varied from 4-12 people each time I looked. Beginning of the month is not the time to go, each person seems to be drawing out for himself and 6 family members, transferring money to other accounts, paying phone bills and all other manner of complex operations that take time.

A coffee at Starbucks and at least it had clouded over when I left,without my money.