Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just hope that you are this confident when your 70 but it sounds as if your 100% sure about everything that you think you know about. Besides health and age issues some of us are tied into minding f

I don't really know what happened with the airline industry but it seems that in order to be able to purchase a ticket now days it requires a huge lotto win. We looked into possibly heading to LOS for

Difficult to do when your on a pension!   As I understand it the Brits and Australians are world champions on adding surcharges to fares. Having said that I assume that the OP has booked business cl

Posted Images

never paid above 1600 Canadian

u must have hit a peak fare

Where are you flying from? He's coming from the midwest, so has the cost of getting to the west coast for the transpacific flight.

Where are you flying from? He's coming from the midwest, so has the cost of getting to the west coast for the transpacific flight.

Toronto.

I usually have a connection in Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Washington DC, Minneapolis, San Fran etc etc.

Cheaper than just Toronto to Narita and then BKK etc.

Have been looking at fares and looking out 9 months i can get a decent flight. Anything i look at from a week from now to 2 months out is crazy and the worse part is depending on the time of day i check it can be anywhere from $2200 to $3100.

My July fare went down nearly $4,000 on Cathay Pacific with their new business class and getting rid of first class entirely on their planes on my route so the 2 1/2 weeks is paid for with the difference.

That's a good fare...I was pricing fares BKK-SFO for June and managed to locate some in the $1300 range. If the OP doesn't depart from the USA west coast, it could be more.

I spent all day looking for flights from the west coast. The cheapest flights I found routed through places like Wash. DC, Atlanta, and such. It didn't make any sense to me. The extra 10 hours of travel wasn't worth the couple of hundred less. Some of them were more than 36 hours of travel.

Korea air had the best price going to PDX, to SEA to Korea then BKK. I went with the airline I hate the most, Delta because they fly out of PDX now. $ two hundred more than Korean air but cut more than 10 hours off of Korean's travel time. Only one short stop in Japan. United who I usually fly with, always has a 4 hour layover in Japan, and several hours in Seattle or San Fransisco. Their price has in the past been worth the time. Now United was $500 more than Delta, and 26 hours travel time compared to 17 hours with Delta.

Here is a hint, Look at Expedia, Priceline and such to see who fly's there. But book your ticket direct with the airline. I have found the booking agents to be wrong on the number of stops, and the travel time. They show one thing, then your ticket shows another. Prices are the same. Another biggie, when the yellow shirts closed the airport I was due to fly out and couldn't (and didn't want to) Getting a new ticket was next to impossible from Priceline, in fact, I never did get one. I kept calling United over and over telling them that I was stuck in Thailand and my visa was running out. They kept telling me that I booked with Priceline, that I had to deal with them. When I got down to two days from my visa expiring, United Sold me another ticket, and promised a refund. They did refund my ticket, but that changed my home ticket from the US, to Thailand. If you are living in the US, you don't want your return ticket to be to Thailand.

When I got down to two days from my visa expiring,

The Thai government extended everyone's visa and paid for their hotels.I stayed a full week extra.

i checked the other week. Aircanada from toronto - HK - BKK was about $6,000

around 3000 each way. Thank Buddha for Airmiles and Aeroplan .

I went to Moscow in october and the cash value of our tickets (used airmiles) was round 7,000 there 7,000 back each!!!! for first class tickets on Air canada and luftansa

the service meal and top shelf booze was nice but 28,000 for two roundtrip first class tickets is insane didn't beleave till i saw it. was only there for 5days so maybe that was part of it.

The Thai government extended everyone's visa and paid for their hotels.I stayed a full week extra.

I did a visa run and extended my visa, and never asked the government to pay my hotel bill.

Here is a hint, Look at Expedia, Priceline and such to see who fly's there. But book your ticket direct with the airline. I have found the booking agents to be wrong on the number of stops, and the travel time. They show one thing, then your ticket shows another. Prices are the same. Another biggie, when the yellow shirts closed the airport I was due to fly out and couldn't (and didn't want to) Getting a new ticket was next to impossible from Priceline, in fact, I never did get one. I kept calling United over and over telling them that I was stuck in Thailand and my visa was running out. They kept telling me that I booked with Priceline, that I had to deal with them. When I got down to two days from my visa expiring, United Sold me another ticket, and promised a refund. They did refund my ticket, but that changed my home ticket from the US, to Thailand. If you are living in the US, you don't want your return ticket to be to Thailand.

The rome2rio website is also good to see who flies the route you are traveling.

East coast fares this year

$5350 Business class earlier this year

$2600 FF economy that's business upgraded August trip

$1780 economy for my November trip Paid $700 for my first trip in 2007

I

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

This is generally better and more flexible than Expedia or Priceline.

Thanks!

That is an awesome site. I especially like the taxes and fees breakdown. It shows how much governments are adding to air fares.

I also like the one month look ahead flexibility for the fare search.

BTW, I found a Delta fare BKK-SFO for $1045...not bad.

Thanks for the site. I assume that the system is that you print out the flight that you want and take it to your friendly travel agent and just hope that they will honour it?

It's more to inform the agent or booking site of what is available on that date. Whether you're able to actually buy a ticket at the given price will depend if that particular agent has tickets available for the class designation. There are 10 or more "class codes" (H,N,Q,V, S, K, etc.) for discounted tickets in the economy cabin, each of which carries a different price. The most heavily discounted carry the most restrictions. It's not so much the case that air fares go up in high season, it's that far fewer discounted tickets are available. You have to pay more because the ticket you have to buy has a code designator in a higher price class than the more discounted tickets. For example, a ticket with the class code H is more expensive than S or K, but passengers receive the same inflight services.

Evil

:devil

Thanks for the site. I assume that the system is that you print out the flight that you want and take it to your friendly travel agent and just hope that they will honour it?

I've used ITA Matrix to price out routes that don't automatically come up on United.com. Once I get the route information, I manually book a multi-city trip to get the price, if need be. A travel agent should be able to do the same thing.

Actually it was a hotel association that paid. Most hotels (Residence garden being one of them) was not a member so it was out of my pocket.

The incredible reduction in the number of flights flown and the contraction of the airline labor force has sure given the industry the upper hand at calling the prices.

It's more to inform the agent or booking site of what is available on that date. Whether you're able to actually buy a ticket at the given price will depend if that particular agent has tickets available for the class designation. There are 10 or more "class codes" (H,N,Q,V, S, K, etc.) for discounted tickets in the economy cabin, each of which carries a different price. The most heavily discounted carry the most restrictions. It's not so much the case that air fares go up in high season, it's that far fewer discounted tickets are available. You have to pay more because the ticket you have to buy has a code designator in a higher price class than the more discounted tickets. For example, a ticket with the class code H is more expensive than S or K, but passengers receive the same inflight services.

Evil

:devil

Thanks for the info. I went back to the example in the thread and it all made a bit more sense.

Actually it was a hotel association that paid. Most hotels (Residence garden being one of them) was not a member so it was out of my pocket.

I believe it was the Thai government who paid.

http://thailand.prd....php?id=3972&a=2

http://www.nationmul...al_30089705.php

Edited by Baht
  • 1 month later...
Guest jamesfly

I just wish that you are this assured when your 70 but it appears to be as if your 100% sure about everything that you think you know about. Besides wellness and age problems some of us are linked into minding for incapable individuals in out family members and other problems but I believe that this is too challenging for you to understand.

Like everyone else, I hate cattle class. I just booked a trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana for about $1,300 round trip. Business class for the same flight was $3,800. I can't see paying three times economy fare for business class. As a matter of fact, I hate travelling even if it were free. My mother is 91 years old and it is my duty to make the trip.