Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

June 2012 Bar Closures (3)

Monday, June 4 - Visakha Bucha Day (Big Buddha Day)....nationwide closure

Saturday June 16 - Pattaya City elections...from what I can tell, that is Banglamung (north) down to Jomtien (south) and east to Wat Thamsamakkee.

Sunday June 17 - same areas, but bars might open after the election is declared "over"...maybe 10pm or 11pm.

This is my understanding at this point of the scope and length of the closures. It could change based on new information, as usual.

• Upvote 2

Oh dear i don't get there until the 24th so will miss all this

Haha!! You didn't read the article on new arrivals within 30 days of the election, which state that "non-Thai nationals who arrive in Thailand within 30 days of the bar closures will be arrested if found drinking in the month of June" I believe this law was passed to stop non-Thais delaying their holidays. Unlucky.

Great. My first night is the 4th and my last night is the 17th.

Great timing!

Damn.... I'm going to miss you by 1 day.... would have been great to catch up with you again!

Great. My first night is the 4th and my last night is the 17th.

Great timing!

That's amazingly bad timing

Monday, June 4 - Visakha Bucha Day (Big Buddha Day)....nationwide closure

Saturday June 16 - Pattaya City elections...from what I can tell, that is Banglamung (north) down to Jomtien (south) and east to Wat Thamsamakkee.

Sunday June 17 - same areas, but bars might open after the election is declared "over"...maybe 10pm or 11pm.

This is my understanding at this point of the scope and length of the closures. It could change based on new information, as usual.

As the 16/17 are my first 2 days in Pattaya I was just wondering what happened on similar occasions in the past? This is a bit of a downer.

What baloney, bars always open. been there during curfew, in a few countries where curfew was in force never could not get a drink or a girl obviously amateurs or idiots or just naive. :lsmile :lsmile stay cool

• Downvote 6

As the 16/17 are my first 2 days in Pattaya I was just wondering what happened on similar occasions in the past? This is a bit of a downer.

Not sure what has happened in the past as this will be my first time here during election closures. I've been her during some Holiday closures for Buddha, and some beer bars were open but dark and serving drinks in cups, other times the police seemed to crack down and didn't find any bars serving drinks in the dark...

My suggestions would be to spend the first two days in Bangkok or go to Bang Chang. I think Bang chang will be business as usual on these two days.

MM - I was in Patts the last two years on June 4 and never experienced a bar closure. Does "Big Buddha Day" change year to year? Thanks..

It moves around (according to lunar position I think).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MM - I was in Patts the last two years on June 4 and never experienced a bar closure. Does "Big Buddha Day" change year to year? Thanks..

Well June 4th is a full moon.

(Thank you Bangkok bank for the calendar)

Well June 4th is a full moon.

(Thank you Bangkok bank for the calendar)

Yeah, like that position :P

All the Bhuddist (special) days are lunar calendar based. There may be an exception, but I cant think of one, so the date will change from year to year.

The designations are usually of the form : the xth full/new moon of the yth lunar cycle.

Cheers :gulp: Admiral Ken

Well I have been in Chaiyaphum for the last week or so organising and going to my wife's son funeral, an experience I don't want to repeat. Tomorrpw nigjht we are going VIP bus to Bangkok, my wife says beer will be available at shops etc...

I will be putting a different sort of TR when I get home to Oz.

Sorry for spelling mistakes but sent from my Nokia.

Cheerss Kev

Not to muddy the waters here, but while reading this topic I googled public holidays in Thailand and got this link on Wikipedia. They sure have a lot of holidays and if they enforced bar closures on all of them it would be easier to know what dates there wasn't a holiday.

:llaugh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Thailand

CB