Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where was this old Pattaya pier in 1984?

Not sure where this pier was located? Is it where Bali Hai is today? Hills to the left seem further away than present day Bali Hai pier.

It was filmed in 1984 as part of whickiers world 'Fast boat to China' QE2 documentary

The old pier was near the water pumping station...close to the WS entrance.

Where the Pattaya Beer Garden is?

So it was clear beach all the way down behind walking street back then?

Correct, but it's not the pier in the clip which looks like a temporary structure of sorts. This is/was the old pier ...

Lots of pics at this very good site ...

The house/building in the background between 2:02 - 2:10 is very prominent and doesn't look like anything on Walking Street/Pattaya Tai junction that I can recall.

Edited by CheshireTom

The pier in the video looks like it was probably set up by one of the hotels on pontoons for boat trips.

Ok, i'm inclined to think this was nearer to Bali Hai pier end of walking street if not at that specific location.

I took this still from the same 1984 documentary. You can see the more permanent structures near the start of walking street

pattaya 1984 pic.jpg

I'm guessing this was nearer the other end of walking street....cut off from view without a panoramic lens. This modern day view shows Bali Hai pier

pattaya bay photo.jpg

This shot from Bali Hai pier shows how close it is to the hills

seeasea13.jpg

And a still from the video shows it isn't too far out. Possibly the same spot...but from the beach rather than halfway along the new pier?

pier view.jpg

Edited by Chris100UK

Ok, i'm inclined to think this was nearer to Bali Hai pier end of walking street if not at that specific location.

I reckon around where Siam Bayshore's Bali Hai restaurant now is.

• 4 weeks later...

The old pier was just before the open bars with the boxing ring at the start of walking Street where the public 5 baht toilets are. It was still there about six yeras ago and local people and a few Falangs used to fish off of it just like they do in Western resorts that have piers. I asked a chap who was fishing there with his girlfriend how he was getting on and he showed me an assortment of tiddlers, small crabs and squid in a plastic bucket which he said they made into a fish soup.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

As we are in '80 I wish to find out where this hotel is/was placed.

This is a screen from some Polish TV series from 1985. I believe taken in Pattaya, as another shot is.

Hotel.JPG

Pattaya.JPG

Airport.JPG

Can somebody also find out which exactly airport it is? Or type it in Thai?

As first part I know means The Airport, but which one, old in Bangkok right?

Cheers.

Great photo.

Must admit I don't remember the pier. Wonder why thy got rid of it.

I used that pier numerous times to catch the ferries to Koh Larn. My question would be why did't they get rid of it years earlier. Every time I walked down it, I made sure never to have only one board under a foot. Deathly afraid I would fall through if I did....

I used that pier numerous times to catch the ferries to Koh Larn. My question would be why did't they get rid of it years earlier. Every time I walked down it, I made sure never to have only one board under a foot. Deathly afraid I would fall through if I did....

That is how I felt about it, but Pattaya Pete did a video for the FLB with the girls dancing on that pier. Stronger than it looked, I guess. Perhaps, it was made of teak?

It was torn down in the winter/spring of 2006.

Here is the video: http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/8-pattaya-city-the-flb-song/

Edited by Samsonite
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

As we are in '80 I wish to find out where this hotel is/was placed.

This is a screen from some Polish TV series from 1985. I believe taken in Pattaya, as another shot is.

Hotel.JPG

Pattaya.JPG

Airport.JPG

Can somebody also find out which exactly airport it is? Or type it in Thai?

As first part I know means The Airport, but which one, old in Bangkok right?

Cheers.

Second pic is of Srinakorn Pattaya commerce center, so probably some sort of market

Last one is of Bangkok Airport, that's all it says.

2nd photo is the old Sri Nakorn bank sign (second missus used to bank with them, before they went kaput in the late 90s crash). Don't know where the photo's location is tho'. Krung Thai and another bank took over their "mess".

3rd shot is defo Don Meuang airport in the 80s colour scheme.

1st one (hotel) could be anywhere if it was a film set !