Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

After a good few years visiting Thailand these little pests can get on your nerves in every tourist town from Bangkok to Phuket and especially Pattaya. Its especially annoying when you meet the same one every day as you leave your hotel or go on your daily rounds, three times a day of saying “no I don’t want a suit” can get pretty grating.

My solution Take The War To Them.

I like to stroll soi 6 and anyone who knows there is a particular annoying bastard at the beach road end who will even bother you if you stop at Stone Oven for a meal and a drink. Second time I saw him I thought “I’m going to get you”

As he approached I looked him straight in the eye took a few strides towards him ( I can already see his eyes saying WTF) grabbed his hand in a very firm grip (important Do not let go until he begs) Then started on my sales pitch.

“Hello my friend can I interest you in some shorts and a Singa vest? Very cheap, the best in Pattaya , you wont get a better deal mate.”

All the while dragging the little bastard towards Beach road saying “come on come see we have your size” etc

I nearly had him on a Baht Bus before he said “please you don’t want to buy a fuckin suit I get it”

You should have seen the cunt run into his shop on my next trips up there. :llaugh

Please everyone start doing this if they annoy you annoy them back maybe they will get the message. :thumbup :thumbup

• Upvote 3

I used to have one that annoyed me on soi 3 as I was going back and forth the hotel. I just got sick of telling him no so after about 3 days I just stopped and went up to him and asked him if he spoke English,he said yes. I said well,what do you not fucking understand when I say no? He did not bother me again,thank fuck.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I used to have one that annoyed me on soi 3 as I was going back and forth the hotel. I just got sick of telling him no so after about 3 days I just stopped and went up to him and asked him if he spoke English,he said yes. I said well,what do you not fucking understand when I say no? He did not bother me again,thank fuck.

I think this is a good approach.... tried it years ago as well.... and it works... they actually get the hint!!

I even had a guy (Indian Tailor) in Phuket last year annoying me everytime I went anywhere near his shop, after about the 4th day I said - fuck your a tailor, shit mate your the only one in town!!! - He left me alone after that! - :llaugh

Cheers

Cluster

Edited by cluster

For tailors and similar annoying people I just you my "ignore mode"

I just do as if they were not here. I don't hear them; I don't see them and more don't look at them, just look strait in front of me. That does not stop some of them to try again to stop me but without any reaction from me they understand quickly they have nothing to expect, and I don't lost energy to talk to them.

I tried in the past Baht's method, but some of them seem to have no or bad memory...

• Upvote 2

A bottle filled with petrol and a lite on one end would suffice

I don't get the fuss. For years, I've politely said no thank you, and walked on. What tends to work for me is to not make eye contact, do not break stride, do not shake hands and walk tall and straight right through them. Any further intrusion into my personal space results in "leave me alone". That said I've just returned home with four shirts, and three pairs of Armani wool pants. I have two tailors I use, one in "Made in Thailand" shops, the one I used this time was De Best, on Soi 13, across from the Sandy Spring.

As I understand it these guys are trying to make a living, though it's sad they resort to intrusive tactics to get business. How does this match up to white collar investment bankers who've raped the working class of mortgage holders walking away with billions in stolen blood money? The latter is I believe, the best case for resuming public executions in America. Walk blocking touts pale in comparison IMHO.

OBLA DEE BROS

There is one tailor somewhere around the Pattayaland area on Beach Rd that I get a kick out of - he often tries different accents and greetings with his approach, such as the Aussie "G'day, mate";

a couple of months ago I was walking by and he comes up with a baseball hat on backwards, sticks his hand out pointing downward, and says, "Yo, bro, whassup?" I couldn't help it, I just cracked up into laughter as I kept on walking by.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Indians,what's the score with those turban wearing blokes who insist you are "a lucky man,a very very very lucky man". I've never worked out what they are up to.....these aren't the smooth tongued suit sellers,but usually older blokes walking the streets. I've seen them at work in Hong Kong too. Must be a scam going on,but what is it?

BM OnMyWay used to get accosted by the shops on Beach Rd. just south of Royal Garden. OMW would not break stride when they blocked the sidewalk. A couple of them learned what fun it can be when a 6'4" 365lb. guy just keeps walking.

BM OnMyWay used to get accosted by the shops on Beach Rd. just south of Royal Garden. OMW would not break stride when they blocked the sidewalk. A couple of them learned what fun it can be when a 6'4" 365lb. guy just keeps walking.

What ever happened to OnMyWay, anyway? He used to post here a lot and then vanished...one of the few people I've met in Pattaya who had feet bigger than mine...

For tailors and similar annoying people I just you my "ignore mode"

I just do as if they were not here. I don't hear them; I don't see them and more don't look at them, just look strait in front of me. That does not stop some of them to try again to stop me but without any reaction from me they understand quickly they have nothing to expect, and I don't lost energy to talk to them.

I tried in the past Baht's method, but some of them seem to have no or bad memory...

After living many years in Africa... the no see, no hear, no hesitation in pace technique has become so natural to me that I'm very rarely bothered by the tailors. Rule number 1 is.never make eye contact... if you can do that you're more than half way there. Oh, and put your hand behind your back if they look really intent on grasping yours. Yuck !

• Upvote 1

What ever happened to OnMyWay, anyway? He used to post here a lot and then vanished...one of the few people I've met in Pattaya who had feet bigger than mine...

Also pretty good with a camera if my memory serves me correctly.

Regards

• Upvote 1

OMW has been holed up for a couple of years now on Negros Oriental in the P.I. with his accomplice BM foto.

Whenever one of these gentlemen ask if I would like a ‘nice suit’, I reply with the obvious, ‘too hot for a suit today’… and keep walking.

When they ask if I would like a ‘nice shirt’, I again reply with the obvious, ‘I’ve got a nice shirt, you cheeky bastard, I’m wearing it!’… and keep walking.

When staying on LK Metro and walking thru the mall 5 or 6 times a day past the same tailor shop and being almost accosted everytime I finally confronted him with "You see me 5 or 6 times a day and i always say no. Remember my face and don't ask me again because the answer will always be no."

He never did.

What bothers me most about these guys - and ones on Beach Road seem the worst - are the glad-handers. I have, not too severely, slapped a few hands away and said "don't touch me" and kept walking. They are the only think I detest in LOS. There are a few in Bangkok also but the distances are farther apart, thank gawd.

If I am ever raped It will probably be on Beach Road by an Indian tailor.

Hostility is the wrong approach.

I always, early in my trip, start a conversation with one I'm not likely to see again on my trip.ie one that is off your beaten track.

Say - no thanks I dont need a suit, how s your business going? How long you been doing this business., do you have a family here blah blah blah. Many times you will find a friendly decent guy behind the salesman.

Crucially get his first name and the address of the shop.

When back on your regular beat and asked reply " I already bought one"

usually the tailor will then say " oh off who? from where? " mohammed on soi 10.

ahh ok.

next time you go past them if bothered again just repeat.

chances are mohammed will be their cousin or they automaticaaly lose interest. Works every time :bhappy

I just tell them they are a lucky man and would they like to know why because I can tell their future if they give me a couple hundred baht.

Strange but they never take me up on the offer and avoid me afterwards.