Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 319 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

I have heard whispers of Walking Street being a thing of the past, well in the near future... 3 /5 years. The wisdom of the powers that be, is to restore the beach to its once attractive setting. The bars would be relocated to Soi Bua Khao. Also the Montien Hotel is soon to be replaced by a new 'Entertainment ' complex. I know progress cannot be stopped, but taking W/S away is a little extreme. Can anyone confirm?

Also the Montien Hotel is soon to be replaced by a new 'Entertainment ' complex.

The planned redevelopment of the Montien site by MBK has been known for several years (the Montien lease expires soon). Exactly what that development will comprise of is anyone's guess. All of the obvious possibilities, including simply selling the plot for a profit, have been commented on elsewhere. It's certainly not a whisper, MBK Group is a public company and investors need to know why it is planning to spend several billion Baht.

Edited by CheshireTom

IMHO Walking St. is here for the duration. There is huge money tied up in those properties and establishments, a lot of it put there by some very influential people indeed, I suspect. I really can't see it being torn down and replaced by several thousand tons of sand and some palm-trees, atmospheric fishing-boats and clog-dancing yokels, in fact the very thought is ludicrous.

• Upvote 1

Ludicrous!

I heard these rumors too over several years. Let's look at facts.

They are moving Beer Bars etc away from the beach front and 2nd Rd thoroughfare so as to not "offend" the family tourists.

The new multi-story car park Bali Hei is nearly finished.

The new marina construction is well underway.

Take a look at some of the developments going on on Soi Buakhao. The likes of Tony and Ratanakorn are investing big in this area.

Agreed it will take some time, I also don't think all of what we know Walking St for will dissapear, however I think there will be more of a shopping mall and hotels in the future.

A lady whome I have never met before has moved from walking street to where our second bar is in the Blue Rahtree Complex and stated her reasons for moving as summarized above. She quoted a time scale of 2 years, I think more like 5.

Although people may have leases for 3 or 5 + years lets not forget if city hall wanted to move more quickly they could just refuse to renew a license.

Ludicrous!

I heard these rumors too over several years. Let's look at facts.

They are moving Beer Bars etc away from the beach front and 2nd Rd thoroughfare so as to not "offend" the family tourists.

The new multi-story car park Bali Hei is nearly finished.

The new marina construction is well underway.

Take a look at some of the developments going on on Soi Buakhao. The likes of Tony and Ratanakorn are investing big in this area.

Agreed it will take some time, I also don't think all of what we know Walking St for will dissapear, however I think there will be more of a shopping mall and hotels in the future.

A lady whome I have never met before has moved from walking street to where our second bar is in the Blue Rahtree Complex and stated her reasons for moving as summarized above. She quoted a time scale of 2 years, I think more like 5.

Although people may have leases for 3 or 5 + years lets not forget if city hall wanted to move more quickly they could just refuse to renew a license.

Are you saying that THEY (City Hall?) come round with a truck, take apart a beer bar off the front and pack all the bits of wood and coolers onto the back and rebuild it on soi Buakhao? I haven't seen this happen, has anybody else...does it occur at say 6am when nobody is about and they turn the key in the ignition as they see MM's back move into the distance?

You know, I am not so sure they worry too much about offending the tourists by having a beer bar on the corner of 7 and 1st Rd, reducing the number of tarts and lowlifes under the coconut trees would be a more obvious target.

Perhaps 'planning permission' is giving that impression, or financial factors are driving things that way. Likely someone wanting to build a hotel or Mall can offer a better quick profit to a landowner, than a monthly 20,000 baht rent.

Not sure what use a car park is that you can't get to either....

I am more concerned by the arrival of agency girls, the 4000 baht barfine and steps up to GGBs.

Edited by jacko

Have you heard of the "World Class" Campaign? It may be that you haven't heard these rumors, or tht you have and just think its "Pie in the Sky" but, they are out there.

Agreed, I think it will be a tall order. Another "Rumor" was they were going to reclaim the beach behind walking street!

Look I think Walking St is an asset to Pattaya but something is happening and for sure only the guys in the echelons of power will know the true story...

Another "Rumor" was they were going to reclaim the beach behind walking street!

There was the 101 businesses rumour going around years ago, all these places had illegally built out over the sea on WS, and were apparently all going to be knocked down. Some spent millions on discos they were so worried. City Hall were completely unable to organise the sequencing of the traffic lights at the Suk/Klang junction some years back, and after the chaos put them back the way they were.

Money will drive the changes.......

Edited by jacko

A lot of the people who bought condos bought with the understanding that their premises were a discreet distance from, but still convenient to, Walking Street. They wouldn't be happy if it was taken away and put someplace else. No, I'll believe it when I see the wrecking crews.

dentdude, take a look at WS. Some serious money invested there and I don't mean falang-owned beer bars.

This is Thailand. Money talks. Big money talks loudly and buys the right kind of friendships. WS is going nowhere.

Just completed an extensive run of my computer model of Pattaya.

Result: Walking Street will still be there long after current board members have lost their ability to walk.

• 2 weeks later...

you may be missing the point the change will be to remove all the buildings that are out over the sea it will open up the bay and beach road will go down to the pier,it will look great, of course they will build bigger and better hotels at the cost of the gogo bars.

Speaking for myself I have no problem seperating the adult scene from the family scene.

A sort of walking street around LK Metro would be great there will be winners and losers such is progress.

soi 6 will go down before WS for sure. 6 is ripe for re-development, there is no real big money invested there. But WS has some major financial investment and its not all just connected individuals. I'd bet there are "institutional" investors/owners on WS also, some of whom are partial to brown apparel.

"Walking Street" Soon To be a MEMORY ?

Why? Do you have Alzheimers? :clueless

I just re-read that post Alf. You must have been pissed when you wrote it.... If you had Alzheimer's you probably wouldn't remember it (unless you went there when you were VERY young). Flo sends her love from the Alzheimer's ward (Australians welcome).... Hope you are fit and well.

We'll have a look at Badabing next trip (if we can remember where to look and WS is still there). I couldn't face going in in June - too many good memories!!!

Kiss

Andy le Cap

Edited by capdagde

We'll have a look at Badabing next trip (if we can remember where to look and WS is still there). I couldn't face going in in June - too many good memories!!!

Just to make the memories more poignant, Wood is now the manager there.

Guest Fatboyfat

I remember back in the very early 90s when it was first mooted that the talk was " Never in a blue moon will they close down the Soi 2 bar area (at the time probably the most profitable and popular area by far)". Eventually, some 25 years on it happened. Same will happen on Walking street I'm sure if Thailand does make moves to negate the "Sex destination tag" in the near future.......But it won't happen in my lifetime, which has included a visit to Barbo's, which was on the beach in the vicinity of the start of Walking Street. :o)

I remember back in the very early 90s when it was first mooted that the talk was " Never in a blue moon will they close down the Soi 2 bar area (at the time probably the most profitable and popular area by far)". Eventually, some 25 years on it happened. Same will happen on Walking street I'm sure if Thailand does make moves to negate the "Sex destination tag" in the near future.......But it won't happen in my lifetime, which has included a visit to Barbo's, which was on the beach in the vicinity of the start of Walking Street. :o)

On an infinite time-line all things become possible. A collection of beer bars being rented is a much easier and likely thing to be replaced than a whole row of businesses owned by the big families of Pattaya. I don;'t use them these days, but I do recall many an idyllic meal over the sea in a Walking Street seafood restaurant....(can't afford it now). :D

it will all be decided by rent and returns ...after saying that though sometimes there is no logic in asian thinking so anything can happen

Sometime when you are dining at the Pattaya Beer Garden, cast your eyes to the north and look at the high rises. Never mind who stays there and why, just recognize there is a market that supported that construction. Do you think that if the "smart money" decides there is enough of a market to justify building a lot more high rise, high rent properties on south Pattaya beach, that Walking Street will not be knocked down in a big hurry?