Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Sometime when you are dining at the Pattaya Beer Garden, cast your eyes to the north and look at the high rises. Never mind who stays there and why, just recognize there is a market that supported that construction. Do you think that if the "smart money" decides there is enough of a market to justify building a lot more high rise, high rent properties on south Pattaya beach, that Walking Street will not be knocked down in a big hurry?

Well they haven't knocked PIH down yet!

That old rumor has been circulating for many years already. Allegedly the businesses on the sea side of Walking Street are all illegally built and must be torn down. If there is a statute of limitations regarding that construction, and there probably is, I'd guess that it has long ago expired.

View Talay 7 in Jomtien is obviously built too near the beach and is clearly illegally built. I don't see it being torn down despite the legal objections and lawsuits from Jomtien Complex.

I remember that back in 2005 the rumor of the Walking Street Seaside Businesses being illegal and to be torn down creeped up again. The authorities published a plan showing a street on stilts to be built about 20 Meters from the shore, with Walkways and all.

Next were findings that, with very few exceptions, the buildings on WS were legit, and some were maybe extending it a little bit too much into the Sea. FLB for instance I remember that the stage area, the last few meters, were built without permission, as were some of the Fish Restaurants extensions on stilts.

So, in order to tear down the buildings someone has first to buy them, and given that the area commands a very high rental value, it won't be cheap ...

The plans went the way of all plans in Thailand, they just got dropped and forgotten.

Does anybody remember the beer bar complex on what is now Chewit Park in BKK? On Sukhumvit across from what used to be Clinton Plaza(another story). One night the bulldozers came in and leveled dozens of fully operational beer bars (beer and all) and any other businesses in between. Chewit pissed somebody off big time. Point is - it can happen overnight in an instant.

• 2 weeks later...