Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Closures on Friday ?

Isn't the Buddha day Thursday..... start of Lent?

I think that may be a school holiday but not a Bank Holiday nor a bar closure day.

If it helps. Last time I was im Pattaya for Buddha Day I went up to Naklua. Sure, there are places closed but there are also a lot open and in one case I had a problem even getting a seat in a bar. No issue withe restaurants either.

Isn't the Buddha day Thursday..... start of Lent?

I think that may be a school holiday but not a Bank Holiday nor a bar closure day.

Thu is a Public Holiday (Asalha Puja Day). Fri isn't a Public holiday but it is a Buddhist Religous Day (Wan Khao Phansa - the beginning of the Rains Retreat). Alcohol sales are prohibited on both days except in hotels that own/operate their own bars/restaurants.

I think many bars will open late on Friday the 3rd. FLB should be open and quiet until midnight, when they can turn up the music.

No band though.

An unfortunate phrase used by ignorant foreigners to describe something they clearly have no understanding of

It's not that much of a misdescription...both are times of reflection and ascetism, where normal activities are curtailed.

From http://chiangmaibest.com/thai-holidays-festivals/asana-bucha-khao-pansa/

In Thailand, monks use the retreat to meditate more intensively. Lay people will often use this period to adopt more ascetic practices, abstaining from meat, alcohol or cigarettes, for example. Wan Khao Pansa is often referred to as Buddhist Lent, as its emphases on reflection and self-denial bear outward resemblance to the Christian Lenten period (though pre-dating it by over 500 years). It is also a time when many young Thai men ordain and join the monkhood for part or all of the period of the rains retreat. This is a traditional rite of passage for most young Thai men, and it creates valuable merit for the whole family.

It's just a shorthand description that doesn't necessarily betray ignorance or lack of understanding.

• Upvote 1