Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

In my few trips to Samui I've been seriously underwhelmed by the accommodation I've booked.

I've looked through the hotel reviews section but there is nothing conclusive there.

I would appreciate any recommendations on where to stay (pref Chaweng) that afford the following within a budget of 1500-2500 per night.......

Guest friendly

Queen+ size bed

On or close to the beach

Within 5 (ish) minutes walk from Soi Green Mango

Air-con

TV with decent Satellite

And a bathroom that wasn't built by Noah - i.e. a reasonable supply of hot water with decent shower pressure without having to run around to get wet.

Restaurant, bar, pool etc I don't care about but the more of the above criteria that can be satisfied the better.

Thanks to those that reply.

Cheers

Pie

Depends whether you want a bungalow, a hotel room or something in between.

Beachcomber has only rooms. Chaweng Villa has something in between and The Island has bungalows(Request the Seafront Bungalow)

http://www.bluelagoonhotel.com/

http://www.chawengvilla.com/

http://www.islandsamui.com/island_en.html

Not recommendations as such. For comparision purposes only.

no, Beachcomber DOES have bungalows.

Ah, that must be the Deluxe Villa at;

Deluxe Villa

Double

01.11.02-26.12.02  3,950 bt

27.12.02-05.01.03   6,500 bt

06.01.03-20.04.03  5,500 bt

21.04.03-15.07.03   3,950 bt

16.07.03-15.09.03  5,500 bt

16.09.03-31.10.03  3,950 bt

Not beachfront though, I think.  :o

Tks Baz and valentino.

valentino,

I've looked at your suggestions but without a recommendation it's a bit difficult to gauge. I've seen many a picture that looks OK only to find a faded, jaded room upon arrival. I've never had many problems anywhere else in the world but on Samui I just don't seem to be able to get it right.

I'm not overly demanding - for example a room similar to the standard ones at the Sandy Spring (990bt) would be fine and I'd happily give someone 1500-2000 for it on Samui. I just hate walking into dark, dingy rooms with mould around the ageing bathroom fixtures etc.

Your link to island samui was interesting - have you seen the place ? I ask particulary as their site claims that the new owners have totally refurbished the place and that bathrooms have been re-tiled etc etc. Yet, the pictures of the place look like a typically faded Samui hotel. Are the pics out of date perhaps ? If you have anything to add it would be appreciated.

Baz,

Your recommendation looks ideal. However the rates I see quoted (for a room not a villa) range between 4300 (last year's rate on the homepage) and 5500 and up via various websites for a stay next month. I'm presuming you stayed in low season but did you get yours as a walk in or some other method ?

Thanks again for the time and trouble both and if it seems I am being a bit OTT about this, well you are probably right. It's only for a couple of days but I am booking not just for myself but a friend from the UK and I would feel bad if I organised a shithole. The other places we are going to aren't an issue as I know sufficient good hotels but, as said earlier, my prior experiences in Samui have been dismal.

Cheers

Pie

i booked in england, and yes it was in low season.

samui in general is very expensive for hotels, compared to the rest of thailand.

http://www.hotelthailand.com/prepaid/samui...nder/index.html

i have also stayed here, its lamai, but in a good location, and the price is reasonable.

rooms and hotel in general are good, not as good as the above, but still good.

my only other experience of samui is the 15 years ago, 100 baht a night roach havens, which i suspect have now all but gone .

I've just spent a week in Weekender Resort, Lamai. Deluxe sea view room was 2100 fully inc, had a king bed and a single, right close to town but very quiet and close to beach.

Very Guest Friendly.

bathroom not brilliant, water pressure not very good, somehow it didn't seem to matter too much.

bathroom not brilliant, water pressure not very good, somehow it didn't seem to matter too much.

Gus,

I take your point but to me it does matter. Firstly, I like my creature comforts and dislike paying through the nose for them.

I'll cheerfully spend 20-30K baht (or more) on a night out but I resent paying OTT for shite accomodation.

Penny wise - Pound foolish perhaps but the prices for accom in Samui are laughable - they even make Phuket look like Pattaya.

Cheers

Pie

P.S. My first ever trip to Samui (about 7-8 yrs ago) - I stayed at the Weekender in Lamai in their "top" room. I thought it was an utter hovel. They charged (then) about 1200bt a night and the equivalent room in Pattaya would have been about 400 at that time. Not having a go at you Gus but the 2100 you quote is indicative of the silly prices that Samui seems to be able to command.

Is it down to Johnny Foreigner that knows no better (as opposed to Pattaya regs ?). Supply and demand ? I know nothing on this subject but whilst people moan about the prices in Phuket they clearly haven't spent time trying to get reasonable accom in Samui at prices that wudn't make a hotelier in Pattaya turn green with envy.

Pieman

In all honesty, for your budget there are many places you can stay in as long as you are not bothered about a beachfront bungalow.

The most central to the entertainment area being the Samui Coral Resort(Hotel Wing).

http://www.samuicoralresort.com/Home_ing.html

Next being the hotel wing of Chaweng Gardens.

(

Chaweng Gardens Beach Resort

Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng Center

162/8, Moo 2, Tambon Bo Phut

84320 Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand

Tel: 0 7742 2265, 0 7723 0993

Fax: 0 7742 2265

A little quieter would be the likes of the Beachcomber (Hotel wing) or Chaweng Villa.

I haven't seen the inside of the Island's Beachfront bungalows so I cannot comment on that. They look ok from the outside. There are only two of the 'top of the range' ones.

Did you click on 'Download' on the Island site? If you have broadband and WinZip there is 4MB of 'Views of the Island Resort' there.

Pieman

In all honesty, for your budget there are many places you can stay in as long as you are not bothered about a beachfront bungalow.

The most central to the entertainment area being the Samui Coral Resort(Hotel Wing).

http://www.samuicoralresort.com/Home_ing.html

Did you click on 'Download' on the Island site? If you have broadband and WinZip there is 4MB of 'Views of the Island Resort' there.

Tks again valentino, and yes, tried that - including the "new" download. But, assuming you have done likewise, you will have have seen they do not show the inside of any rooms in their multiple clips.

I really don't care about a beachfront room/bungalow (but,as stated earlier, the hotel being close to the beach would be a bonus) and frankly, if the room has the other attributes I mentioned at anything less than SoBe prices then I'll be quite happy if it is on the 17th floor of a multi-storey car park.

I resent paying top dollar prices (by Thai standards) for basement accom - and that seems to be the norm in Samui.

Thanks again for your suggestions - I'll go look them up now.

Cheers

Pie

ive been to samui a couple of times and always stayed here....  http://imperialhotels.com/samui/index.html    always had a fat time........ ;D                                             valentinoxxx

on a baht bus, a circle of the island takes about an hour.

Hey Valentino,

Can u fill me on Chaweng Gardens Beach Resort?  They have hotel wing and bungalows and cottages?  Price?

Which type of room did you like best?

Thanks!

Next being the hotel wing of Chaweng Gardens.

(

Chaweng Gardens Beach Resort  

162/8, Moo 2, Tambon Bo Phut  

Tel: 0 7742 2265, 0 7723 0993  

Fax: 0 7742 2265  

No pool. Stick to the hotel building if you want mod cons.

Others I know staying there longish term paid around 800 baht for the hotel wing a year or so ago.

Very convenient for nightlife.

If you want pool, go for Samui Coral. Same quality but quieter,(though only 80 metres further north) Chaweng Villa.

I have my own special place to stay...

Yes, all of the places mentioned are beach side.

If you want a bungalow and can afford the upper end of budget mentioned. Go for a 'seafront bungalow' at Kings Garden Bungalows

King's Bungalow

12, Moo 2, Tambon Bo Phut

Tel: 0 7742 2304, 0 7723 0430

Fax: 0 7742 2304

E-mail: kings@mostlysunny.com

FWIW, I've gone with the Coral Samui. They claim that their higher priced rooms have all been refurbished and have completely new bathrooms. Thus it appears to fit all the criteria and is at the bottom end of the budget range. They have also impressed me with very speedy replies to e-mail questions I sent to them. Tks for the link Valentino.

I'll post a review when I get back as if it is all it is cracked up to be then at the price and given the location it's got to be close to the best value in Samui.

Cheers

Pie