Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I don't believe that flaunting wealth in front of poor Thai's is a good thing to do. Reckless even. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree.

I'd think it would be the rare "poor Thai" that would recognize the value of an expensive bicycle, so I hardly think riding one is "flaunting wealth", except among other bicycle enthusiasts that understood the value.

Based on that, I'm not sure I entirely believe the original post.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS I wish I'd never started this topic. For sure, I won't start another. That's just about me done with Pattaya Talk and the other forums too. There's some seriously sad people on here. Why don't you

I have to agree. If they can see your gold from a plane, then you are wearing too much gold !

I have been asked by a friend to put out a warning to bicyclists. Apparently a friend of his was cycling on his own in the Huay Yai area a couple of days ago about 8 am when some Thai guys on two moto

Posted Images

I'd think it would be the rare "poor Thai" that would recognize the value of an expensive bicycle, so I hardly think riding one is "flaunting wealth", except among other bicycle enthusiasts that understood the value.

Based on that, I'm not sure I entirely believe the original post.

I would say that you haven't looked at the difference between a bike that a Thai would ride, and the one stolen. They don't look anywhere alike. Stamped parts compared to machined parts. Wheels, breaks, frame shape, quality of paint are all very apparent. Even if a poor Thai didn't know the full value of 80,000 baht, thinking 1/2 that would be well worth taking from an easy mark like a farang riding alone.The bike was worth more than the average thai motorbike. Obviously someone was able to see the value, because they took it.

Edited by lovedog100

wearing gold in plane sight

I have to agree. If they can see your gold from a plane, then you are wearing too much gold !

• Upvote 2

And if the bicycle has "breaks" it probably has little value.

Jack

• Upvote 1

Funny!

And LD are you into sadism, bestiality and necrophillia? ' Cause you're flogging a dead horse here mate!

• Upvote 1

And if the bicycle has "breaks" it probably has little value.

damn, I missed that one, LOL

I would say that you haven't looked at the difference between a bike that a Thai would ride, and the one stolen. They don't look anywhere alike. Stamped parts compared to machined parts. Wheels, breaks, frame shape, quality of paint are all very apparent. Even if a poor Thai didn't know the full value of 80,000 baht, thinking 1/2 that would be well worth taking from an easy mark like a farang riding alone.The bike was worth more than the average thai motorbike. Obviously someone was able to see the value, because they took it.

Does this position of yours about flaunting wealth apply to automobiles? Would one be subject to your scorn for driving a BMW 7-series or a Lamborghini? Two of my neighbors have such cars, and I'm thinking I should warn them before they get robbed and then blamed for "flaunting" :P

In a BMW they could run the would-be robbers over before they fired a shot.

Say they stopped for a piss or a roast chicken? Even rich people need to piss and eat.

The point is, your statement about common sense and expensive bikes, while dismissive of the alleged victim of this robbery, is very similar to what could have happened to you while riding an obviously expensive bike (albeit motorized) on some of the backroads.

A couple of Thai guys with a gun pointed at you are going to make you stop, I'd wager. You cannot outrun a bullet.

I guess even an expert on 3rd world countries such as yourself might do things that in retrospect might be considered not using common sense.

While I accept that riding an expensive bike around is probably akin to waving a red sheet in front of a bull and something I probably wouldn't be doing in the first place, I wouldn't stop and just hand over my stuff. The gun MIGHT be real, and MIGHT be loaded, and they MIGHT actually be willing to actually shoot me over the bike, and MIGHT actually be able to hit a moving target, etc., and I therefore MIGHT wind up dead........but they would have to go through with it because I wouldn't stop. Not common sense? No, probably not... Then again, I suspect most of the perps in these cases are just plain cowardly punks. 'Can't live one's life always turning over your lunch money to the schoolyard bully. That's just me though; none of what I'm saying about this is intended as advice to anyone else.

While I accept that riding an expensive bike around is probably akin to waving a red sheet in front of a bull and something I probably wouldn't be doing in the first place, I wouldn't stop and just hand over my stuff. The gun MIGHT be real, and MIGHT be loaded, and they MIGHT actually be willing to actually shoot me over the bike, and MIGHT actually be able to hit a moving target, etc., and I therefore MIGHT wind up dead........but they would have to go through with it because I wouldn't stop. Not common sense? No, probably not... Then again, I suspect most of the perps in these cases are just plain cowardly punks. 'Can't live one's life always turning over your lunch money to the schoolyard bully. That's just me though; none of what I'm saying about this is intended as advice to anyone else.

Firstly, I have a problem with the flouting bit. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 5000 bt tesco bike whizzing by and any other......I'm sure there are those that could........But I couldn't and I think I'm in the majority.

The guy just wants a good bike to ride, not to keep in a 'safe' as an investment, or to hang on his wall to look at. Bikes are made for riding.

Secondly, I could, if I wanted to 'sound' much braver than you Tomcat, sitting here as i am, in a corner of a restaurant with my tea infront of me and a full breakfast on the way.... but I'm pretty sure my brave sounding words would just be 'bravado'. Faced with 2 unpredictable Thais, pointing a gun at my naughty-bits.....on a empty road...in the middle of nowhere I'd give the bike up. But that's just me, an honest coward.

'Maybe' you'd do exactly as you as you 'say' you would do. Maybe you would. Anger makes strong men stronger yes?

Let me posit a situation.

You're driving a car down a lonely road. Some idiot cuts you up and you nearly crash. That 'fear' you just felt fuels your anger. You charge after the bastard flashing your lights and screaming out of the window.

The car infront stops. Blocking your way.

'Good, this f..ker's gonna get it now.'

4 men with baseball bats climb out of the other car. I'm betting, if we are all being honest here... That the anger fuelled 'bravery' instantly evaporates and our natural survival instincts take over........This is in 'reality'!

What would we do now?

For me Tomcat, I head for the hills.....Sod the car. I was angry, I made a miscalculation, a mistake but I can't protect it against these odds and I don't want to die for it...............

.................UNLESS?

.....Unless my son is sitting in the car. If he is.....these 4 guys had better be prepared to die.......Because I would be prepared to kill and to die..... For him.

I've learned over 60 years that 'Love' as naff as it sounds, is stronger than any other emotion. It overides and conquers all the others. Anger, hate, 'bravado' sound tough, but they are not in love's league.

Now, if you 'loved' that bike Tomcat I'd believe all you 'say' you'd 'do' and that you're a brave man.....otherwise it's just a question of numbers.

4 men with baseball bats climb out of the other car. I'm betting, if we are all being honest here... That the anger fuelled 'bravery' instantly evaporates and our natural survival instincts take over........This is in 'reality'!

What would we do now?

For me Tomcat, I head for the hills.....Sod the car. I was angry, I made a miscalculation, a mistake but I can't protect it against these odds and I don't want to die for it...............

Well for my part at least two of these bat wielding chancers are going to quickly meet with 1ton x 50mph chrome bullbars

People do as people do

Cowards will coward

Fighters will fight

Romancers will imagine

Some have the 'natural instinct' to run n hide, conversely some have the ingrained reaction to do all in their power to destroy anything presented as a enemy. Indeed some come from a culture where to turn and run is simply anathema.

So keyboard pontification over what someone's correct response in these situations should be is frankly ridiculous

Funny!

And LD are you into sadism, bestiality and necrophillia? ' Cause you're flogging a dead horse here mate!

:llaugh

Yes many seem to have encountered pidgin English in Pattaya's bars

and warmed to it

;)

Edited by Regyai

Does this position of yours about flaunting wealth apply to automobiles? Would one be subject to your scorn for driving a BMW 7-series or a Lamborghini? Two of my neighbors have such cars, and I'm thinking I should warn them before they get robbed and then blamed for "flaunting" :P

No Martin, it doesn't, nor houses either. If you go back several posts, I think that I stated things that they could easily take and drive away with on their motorbike. I notice you don't have gold chains around your neck, or a GPS mounted to the handle bars of your motorbike.

FFS I wish I'd never started this topic. For sure, I won't start another. That's just about me done with Pattaya Talk and the other forums too. There's some seriously sad people on here. Why don't you just take the warning at face value and get on with your lives?

• Upvote 2

Firstly, I have a problem with the flouting bit. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 5000 bt tesco bike whizzing by and any other......I'm sure there are those that could........But I couldn't and I think I'm in the majority.

The guy just wants a good bike to ride, not to keep in a 'safe' as an investment, or to hang on his wall to look at. Bikes are made for riding.

Secondly, I could, if I wanted to 'sound' much braver than you Tomcat, sitting here as i am, in a corner of a restaurant with my tea infront of me and a full breakfast on the way.... but I'm pretty sure my brave sounding words would just be 'bravado'. Faced with 2 unpredictable Thais, pointing a gun at my naughty-bits.....on a empty road...in the middle of nowhere I'd give the bike up. But that's just me, an honest coward.

'Maybe' you'd do exactly as you as you 'say' you would do. Maybe you would. Anger makes strong men stronger yes?

You're driving a car down a lonely road. Some idiot cuts you up and you nearly crash. That 'fear' you just felt fuels your anger. You charge after the bastard flashing your lights and screaming out of the window.

What would we do now?

.................UNLESS?

.....Unless my son is sitting in the car. If he is.....these 4 guys had better be prepared to die.......Because I would be prepared to kill and to die..... For him.

I've learned over 60 years that 'Love' as naff as it sounds, is stronger than any other emotion. It overides and conquers all the others. Anger, hate, 'bravado' sound tough, but they are not in love's league.

Now, if you 'loved' that bike Tomcat I'd believe all you 'say' you'd 'do' and that you're a brave man.....otherwise it's just a question of numbers.

Well, it's an interesting scenario, but in my mind there's a huge difference. In the case of the bike, or some other "stand & deliver" scenario, I'm just not going to submit to it. Probably a stupid POV, but a matter of being stubborn, possessive, and someone who doesn't handle intimidation well. In the case of the car, I guess I've been too well conditioned to shenanigans from other drivers here in CA, and I don't waste any psychic energy on common everyday things like being cut off. It happens all the time, and is a matter of carelessness or ineptness on the part of the other driver, not an outright intent to threaten, intimidate, injure or commit a crime. I actually have a BMW I value, and am very protective of it on the highway. Another driver cuts in they cut in: if I react at all, it'll be to let the lead foot take over and demonstrate to the other driver what a crate they're actually driving. (You'd be amazed how often it turns out to be some totally unaware woman in an SUV on her cellphone.) Oh, and secondly, I never rent vehicles in Thailand. I did rent bikes years ago, but decided it was just too risky.

So, despite this very anti-social attitude of mine towards intimidation, I'm actually very risk averse and make a reasonable effort to avoid most of life's confrontations. Esp. overseas, I go out of my way to avoid touble with Thais. So we're down to talking about what happens if despite my efforts to NOT be in the wrong place at the wrong time, trouble manages to find me anyway. In over 20y of trips to Thailand, it's never really happened. 'Had an incident in Cambodia once though where a motobike driver (on another bike) pulled alongside late at night & attempted to get me to stop by pulling a knife on me. I kicked his bike out from under him and kept going. 'Didn't stick around to see how badly he might've been hurt. His comades ('think there were 2 others) pursued for a few minutes but then turned around. 'Was told by others later that I'd been very stupid & should've just stopped & handed over my wallet. The other drivers might've pursued & ganged up on me or even had guns, etc. etc. etc. So, some guys standing in the road threaten me with a gun, will I yield & surrender my bike? I really don't think so, but you have a point: I guess no one can really say for sure until they actually find themselves staring down the barrel.

Edited by tomcat76

What would we do now?

.................UNLESS?

Very good post indeed and really puts ones priorities in life into perspective.

Totally agree re flounting wealth in Thailand re Bling etc.

But I think if put in position on a Motor Bike, as opposed to a Push Bike (or Pushie as us Bogans call them) Id be more inclined to NOT stop .

Sure if some nutter pulls a gun then there welcome to my bike Be it a pushie or a Vmax super blaster.

Then again Just my opinion

P.S. I thought it was very nice of the poster to pass on this thoughtful warning.

Job well done Mate :thumbup :thumbup

I read yesterday of 2 guys in a Honda jazz giving about 40 bike riders hogging the road abuse and then pulling a gun and killing one and wounding others before driving off towards South Pattaya.

FFS I wish I'd never started this topic. For sure, I won't start another. That's just about me done with Pattaya Talk and the other forums too. There's some seriously sad people on here. Why don't you just take the warning at face value and get on with your lives?

there r some wankers for sure ...thanks for starting the thread ...it could be a thumbs up for someone ....i am amazed at the cost of bikes ....they r obviously a magnet but i dont think people should be derided for wanting good stuff .....last year my little nephew was robbed of his sneakers ...this is a very common occurence and is rarely reported as people feel silly ..i am not a bike rider ,,,but if i was and rode in this area i would be greatful for the warning ...cheers

I read yesterday of 2 guys in a Honda jazz giving about 40 bike riders hogging the road abuse and then pulling a gun and killing one and wounding others before driving off towards South Pattaya.

I saw a news report that claimed 10 bike riders and the car driver may have taken offence at the way the bikes were driving.

Have to wonder if it is safe being out and about late at weekends.........

The checks on motorcycles I frequently see at 11am or so may be more fruitful at 3am.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/62480/bicycle-theft-gang-caught-huay-yai-police/

Bicycle theft gang caught by Huay Yai Police

Three suspected thieves who are thought to be responsible for a number of aggravated robberies around the Pattaya area have been arrested by Police in Huay Yai. A number of victims including an Englishman, were present at a press conference held at Huay Yai Police Station on Wednesday morning led by Police Colonel Somshai. The three arrestees, who confessed to committing at least 4 robberies in the local area, were named as Khun Duanmanee aged 38, known locally as “A Pee”, Khun Rapipat aged 25 and Khun Somdaert aged 22. The group would scour the streets for expensive bicycles and would use one of the gang as a spotter who would then contact the other two who would hide in bushes armed with planks of wood. As soon as a cyclist approached them, they would emerge from the undergrowth and strike the cyclist with planks of wood. This would allow them time to steal the bikes which would be transported away from the scene on a waiting motorbike. The three men claim to be relatively new to the crime industry and will soon experience their first taste of prison life should they be found guilty by a Judge.

To the OP, "Thank you for posting" as information sharing is part of the internet experience and each of us can then be better informed to make our own decisions.

As a regular bicycle rider (push bikes?), I ride throughout Pattaya and Jomtien, sometimes going to the Darkside and south into Huay Yai areas (I'll stop into bars or massage places to get a shower :). My bike isn't expensive, but about a month's salary for a regular working Thai so I am sure has some 'theft' value. We take precautions, heed warnings and then make personal decisions whether riding expensive bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc... or just walking which I also do daily (24 hours a day throughout Pattaya) and could not outrun a bullet or even a knife by a passing pedestrian.

During my long-distance cross-country rides across the USA, I often parked my expensive motorcycle in very dark secluded rest stops or shady motel parking lots where there is an increased risk vs. in my home garage. Is it less risky than riding a bicycle? I don't know, but we make our personal risk assessments and must often compromise if we are to live our lives. Sometimes, just taking a bargirl into our home has some risks regardless of our multiple layers of security and technology. A personal decision some of us make and others do not.

Last week, when visiting my local bike shop on Therrapasit Road, I brought up the subject of these internet reports of thefts in Huay Yai and he acknowledged the reports. He also mentioned five bicyclists getting surrounded by 3 motorcyclists with guns robbing them of their bikes. When he indicated the Thai police were very interested in pursing these culprits (alleged gang members), I didn't take it too seriously, but reading this most recent report makes me feel more positive, but I probably still won't ride in that area for awhile without my bullet proof vest and being well armed :)

Ok, just as any thread, I choose to read those that are helpful, informational or just interesting. This subject applies to me as would any on being a pedestrian, motorcyclists or using the services of bargirls. For my current lifestyle, it's still a wonderful place to live. I read the warnings about the city, the country, etc.. but plan and make decisions to accommodate my life here as after my due diligence I balance my risk factors with the benefits of enjoying this life.

By the way, great party last night for Hammer's Birthday and I walked home from Soi Buakow at 3:30 am across 3rd Road et al to my condo near Sukhumvit.

Edited by losgrad