Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Tipping in Pattaya Restaurants

Do any board members tip in Pattaya retaurants? I realize tipping is not as expected here as in some places but do some members here tip? The topic came up when I visited Tequila Reef with 2 friends.

Any comments or suggestions?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ens

You presume a lot Idefix. What gives you the idea that I spend between 1,000 to 2,000 baht in a bar to come out to a 100 baht tip? Nothing strange about tipping more in a bar. I have not yet been to a

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.  Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anyt

"My girl" works in her aunt's restaurant in Chon Buri. She tells me they have almost no fallang customers and there isn't much tipping going on.

Having said that, I like to leave coins etc so I tip maybe 5-10 % wherever I eat or drink. Take-out excepted.

I always leave a tip in restaurants and bars.

It has come to be expected in the tourist areas.

Odd twenty baht for few beers, 50-60 baht after a meal, 1 or 2 people..

I always leave a tip in restaurants and bars.

It has come to be expected in the tourist areas.

Odd twenty baht for few beers, 50-60 baht after a meal, 1 or 2 people..

That's about right for me too. I don't do percent of tab anymore.

Also, if it's a place that adds service charge, I don't tip.

Buffets - No tip.

Bar - 5-10%

Restaurant - 20 baht unless exceptional service and then max is 100 baht

If there is a service charge - No tip

DATY - 1,000 - 2,000 baht

DATY - 1,000 - 2,000 baht

You are spoiling it for everyone else. :D

Buffets - No tip.

Bar - 5-10%

Restaurant - 20 baht unless exceptional service and then max is 100 baht

So you give more than 100 baht tip in a bar but usually only 20 in a restaurant ? Strange.

And why no tip to buffets ? My Thai friend always give 20 or 40 baht to the waiter who bring us drinks, who check that our glasses are always full, who take care of the fire and level of water, who bring us shrimps or fishes from the BBQ when ready, ... He deserves it as much as a waiter in a restaurant.

Always tip (..) no matter what country I'm in.

It's indeed the easiest way to recognize American people... ;)

Yes and it's a fact I'm proud of.Many people in the food service industry depend solely on tips for their livelihood,especially in (semi)Third World countries.If I can afford a trip abroad,I can surely afford a tip,no matter which continent I'm on.

Don't get me started on karma..............

It's indeed the easiest way to recognize American people... ;)

Edited by bigdelta

Yes and it's a fact I'm proud of.Many people in the food service industry depend solely on tips for their livelihood,especially in (semi)Third World countries.If I can afford a trip abroad,I can surely afford a tip,no matter which continent I'm on.

Don't get me started on karma..............

I thought the presumed tips factored into the (reduced) salary (and tax) was a USA thing and not semi-Third world countries so much.

And I don't see it as anything to be proud of, I always thought this practice was unsavoury.

Many countries have a minimum wage level that even waiters must be paid. You say there are countries where waiters receive no salary whatsoever, where is that?

• Upvote 1
Guest Fatboyfat

Always tip,according to level of service,no matter what country I'm in.

So you tip in Singapore restaurants !? ..... Bloody international criminal !!!! :o

Edited by Fatboyfat

That's about right for me too. I don't do percent of tab anymore.

Also, if it's a place that adds service charge, I don't tip.

Yeah - same for me. If I see the 10% service charge, then all I'll leave is a few coins. 20% is an American aberration. I don't leave that much anywhere, not even here in the US unless the service has been truly outstanding..

Yeah - same for me. If I see the 10% service charge, then all I'll leave is a few coins. 20% is an American aberration. I don't leave that much anywhere, not even here in the US unless the service has been truly outstanding..

never left a tip that large anywhere except maybe a Thai girl that I flipped some extra cash for exceptional performance.

Tipping is unsavory?Ouch!

Here's a link to answer your question regarding being paid near zero salary & having to depend on tips to survive whether in NYC or Third World as I mentioned for reference.

I guess karma passed you by in the instance we are talking about.You don't want to spend a few baht to help someone obviously less fortuante that yourself?

And no,I DID NOT say there are countries that waiters are not paid.Geesh.....

http://www.google.co...iw=1085&bih=772

I thought the presumed tips factored into the (reduced) salary (and tax) was a USA thing and not semi-Third world countries so much.

And I don't see it as anything to be proud of, I always thought this practice was unsavoury.

Many countries have a minimum wage level that even waiters must be paid. You say there are countries where waiters receive no salary whatsoever, where is that?

Edited by bigdelta

Mine is a very commonsense approach to tipping.

And,like others,if a service charge is added,I tip less.Once again,commonsense.

So you tip in Singapore restaurants !? ..... Bloody international criminal !!!! :o

Tipping is unsavory?Ouch!

Here's a link to answer your question regarding being paid near zero salary & having to depend on tips to survive whether in NYC or Third World as I mentioned for reference.

I guess karma passed you by in the instance we are talking about.You don't want to spend a few baht to help someone obviously less fortuante that yourself?

And no,I DID NOT say there are countries that waiters are not paid.Geesh.....

http://www.google.co...iw=1085&bih=772

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.

Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anything specific.

I never said I didn't tip, quite the contrary. And what makes you think a waiter is necessarily less fortunate than a customer? I find it tacky, that in an advanced country like the USA, they deliberately reduce the salaries of a particular group of hard working people, and force them to become beggars, relying on the hand-outs from others.

Karma, I don't much go in for Deities or religions.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

RE:

Idefix

bigdelta, on 24 August 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Always tip (..) no matter what country I'm in.

It's indeed the easiest way to recognize American people…

Do citizens of no other countries leave a tip?

• Upvote 1

So you give more than 100 baht tip in a bar but usually only 20 in a restaurant ? Strange.

And why no tip to buffets ? My Thai friend always give 20 or 40 baht to the waiter who bring us drinks, who check that our glasses are always full, who take care of the fire and level of water, who bring us shrimps or fishes from the BBQ when ready, ... He deserves it as much as a waiter in a restaurant.

You presume a lot Idefix. What gives you the idea that I spend between 1,000 to 2,000 baht in a bar to come out to a 100 baht tip? Nothing strange about tipping more in a bar. I have not yet been to a restaurant where there are semi-naked to naked young women entertaining me.

What buffets do you go to where they take care of the fire, level of water, shrimps or fishes for the BBQ? The ones I go to are completely self serve with the exception that they may either bring a pot of coals for the BBQ or a pot of water to boil. Other than that, I get up to get all my foodstuffs and drinks. Personally I could give a flying fuck what your Thai friend does or does not do. Your Thai friend probably washes his or her ass with his or her bare hand as well so I should do that as well?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Do citizens of no other countries leave a tip?

I can't speak for all countries because I don't know for many of them, but for most European countries service is already included in the bill, and waiters already have a salary above the legal minimum: tip is a bonus.

In this countries tip is only a reward for very good or exceptionnal service. Tip is (was?) not mandatory, but with more and more tourists things are changing there too.

In Pattaya, when I go in a restaurant or Thai buffet, I let the girls manage the tipping. It's usually low (20-40 baht) but they often give another tip to the waiter/waitress who took good care of us. I sometimes raised this waiter tip to 100 baht when we are a big group and gave him/her a lot of work that she made perfectly and with smiles.

In bar I give very few - and sometimes nothing - when I just get 1 drink. If I stay longuer (and then like the place or a lady) usually 20 baht. I something exceptional or a very long stay, probably 20 baht too but a tip to the service girl too.

I don't say that what I do is right and others are wrong, but I am ok with these amounts. I see many guys paying their one drink with a 100 baht note and let all the change (20, 30, 40 baht?) as a tip. I think that it's wrong and that a good tip must be a reward for work only.

• Upvote 1

I have virtually stopped visiting the USA because 'the price you see is not the price you pay" as it is in most other countries. Sales tax, State tax and having to subsidise the staff wages with "tips" are additional costs that have to be factored into every purchase causing confusion to tourists. I once had my tip thrown back at me in a San Francisco bar and I am still not sure why, I could not believe the rudeness.

I hope that our American friends will not encourage this concept in other places.

Legend has it, the word "tip" itself came years ago from a pub owner who used the acronym on a box "To Insure Promptness." In that spirit, tipping should be thought of first and foremost as an extra reward for especially prompt and attentive service and not as a hidden expectancy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

About bar: Dancers, Hostesses? The tip you give with your bill will not profit to them. The tip you can give to some dancers or hostesses is not the present subject.

In many Thai "buffet", like the one oposite the Shell station on Pattaya Tai, you have 1 waiter in charge of 2 tables and part of his job is what I described before. He deserves a tip.

They often know better that farangs what is expected in this kind of places.

And I don't see why here again you insult Thai people. Who are you to think you are "better" than them?

You are a French prick so English is likely not your first language. You completely misinterpret my post.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2