Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Sabai Lodge v Residence Gardens - which is better?

May have posted this in wrong spot earlier:

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

Hi

Thinking about heading to Pattaya in November (after reading about the FLB parties and noting there is one on 16 November :bhappy ). I have checked out the Hotel reviews and was tossing up between Sabai Lodge and Residence Gardens. No really current reviews on either, but having looked at both hotels websites, they both appear to be pretty good. Anything to reccommend either of these two as the best?

Easier to get a Baht bus back to the Sabai Lodge late at night.

I like the Residence Garden and have stayed there 4 or 5 times and never had issues. I also never had any issues getting back at night, it might cost you 100 baht no biggy!

My way of doing things is to commit to one hotel but to inspect others for future reference. No one ever goes to Pattayas once. While your looking have a trip down soi 7 and 8 and sample some of these. I use the Sabai but the extra space at the Residence would be welcome but not neccesary.I also like the bars at the top of the soi opposite Big C which is also a great place to stock up on all sorts.

Easier to get a Baht bus back to the Sabai Lodge late at night.

Never stayed at the Sabai Lodge so won't comment on the accomodations. Getting back to the Residence Garden is as easy as walking to the school and getting on the baht bus.

Never stayed at the Sabai Lodge so won't comment on the accomodations. Getting back to the Residence Garden is as easy as walking to the school and getting on the baht bus.

Sometimes you can wait and wait for that baht bus to fill up.

I also like the bars at the top of the soi opposite Big C which is also a great place to stock up on all sorts.

Haven't the bars at the top of the soi been flattened? Anybody any idea what is being built there?

Tom. Yes the bars in Soi 2 have gone but the strip of bars fronting Second Road (opposite Big C) are good. Two have live bands and there are also a heap of bars all the way down to Soi 6.

Guest jamesfly

I like the Property Lawn and have remained there 4 or 5 times and never had problems. I also never had any problems getting returning in the evening.

I like the Property Lawn and have remained there 4 or 5 times and never had problems. I also never had any problems getting returning in the evening.

Property Lawn? Where`s that? :clueless

For your money, I think the RG rooms/property are nicer.

Location depends on what you want.

Sabai is a much more exciting location. Closer to soapies, LK, Soi 6, easier transport to most places except Jomtien.

RG location is what it is. In the middle of not a lot, but not so far from Jomtien or Walking Street.

Note: It's been two years since I have seen the RG and three since I have seen the Sabai so my opinion is a bit dated.

• Upvote 1

For your money, I think the RG rooms/property are nicer.

Location depends on what you want.

Sabai is a much more exciting location. Closer to soapies, LK, Soi 6, easier transport to most places except Jomtien.

RG location is what it is. In the middle of not a lot, but not so far from Jomtien or Walking Street.

Note: It's been two years since I have seen the RG and three since I have seen the Sabai so my opinion is a bit dated.

I had a friend recently stay at the RG on my recommendation and he gave it a thumbs up.

Bugger it! Stay half your break in one and half in the other. There is no way you can really judge a place till you have stayed there. For me the three pools, the proximity to Beach Road, the handy baht buses and the supermarket on the doorstep are great but I do believe that the rooms in the RG are good although say 300/500 baht a night dearer. It all comes down to personal opinion and no amount of recommendations will really answer that.

Three years RG went on my short list for stays. I walked through it, opted out. Two years ago I stayed at Sabai Resort for one of three weeks vacation. Then I think it was like 1300 baht per night. A short walk to Big C through the back gate was a plus. Though only open till 8P.The bungalow was directly across from the pool, which was very cool, but just garden view. The room was nice, and clean. The proximity to Second Rd, Big C, the soapies, and Soi 6, were good points. getting down to Beach Rd was no big deal, and moto-taxis at the front at bec and call 24/7.

One down side was a hellasich perp walk from the front door. They had a golf cart to take me and the short time girl to the bungalow. The Breakfast "buffet" was one of the worst I'd ever had. Gekos pranced around the closet and ceiling at night, no big deal for me, though if your squemish about lizards take note. The two worst parts though were a thumping disco dance beat from 8P till like 3AM nightly from the disco next door. Made the walls rattle it was that loud. Then just as the sun was rising this Oh Oh bird came and roosted on the tree just outside the front door, serenading me with a song he only knew the meaning of. UT, O, Ut, O, Ut O, Ut O, for what seemed like hours. I wished it change it's tune to like, KU Dude, KU dude, KU dude, but nope I get UT, O.

After a week of that, I went back to the glorious jaded, faded, haunts of my all time favorite Sandy Spring, on Soi 13. Sea View deluxe, with a wall of solid ocean view, Eighth floor, three room services menus, steps to the baht bus on beach rd., nice swimming pool, cool reception staff, you get the picture.

At around 1600 baht per night I've yet to find a better overall value all around, and as always, welcome feedback from the bm's. Over the years I've become accustomed to having a nice room as a base. I find no sense in traveling halfway around the world for a dream vacation to sit in some dark, cinderblock, no window hotel to save a few baht. But that's just me, so hope this helps, and good luck with your selection.

OBLA DEE BROS

Further to the Sabai Resort. I stayed in the two storied block at the left of reception coming in. I think that they call these superior rooms. I could not hear the nightclub from there but then again I do get in late. I like the location a lot but have moved back to Soi 2 because I still believe this to be better value.

• 2 weeks later...

I never stayed at Sabai, but have stayed at Residence Garden, and still would if it were not for the Baht Bus Mafia. They line up at second road and Pattaya south road. They charge 100 to 200 Bt to the Russians going to Jomtien. Imagine, 1000 Bt. for a family of 5 to go a few Km to Jomtien. You have to ride one of these to get back to RG. I have been lucky and got to ride for 10 Bt. when I explained that I was not going to Jomtien. Other nights, I walk the Km or so back to the hotel. After a dozen trips, I started exploring other options.

The Baywalk is probably the closest hotel to Walking street on Beach road. It is 54 USD per night. The rooms are good, TV is a bit lacking in English channels. I like the breakfast, and being able to look out and watch the kite skiers in the morning.

My other choice is The LK Empress at soi 12. The rooms are beautiful and new. Breakfast Buffet is OK. It is around $60 per night. Remember the RG does not have free breakfast, so add 5 or so dollars to the RG price and the costs for the other hotels start to equalize. For those unable to find a woman, they can set you up with one for "massage". I am heading here next week for the weekend and maybe somewhere else for the rest of the week.

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

What's even faster than catching it there is to walk 1 block toward Jomtien and stop directly in front of the eyeglass shop.There you won't have to wait until the bus fills before you go like the corner stop.Many busses pass the shop and many are not packed like the ones waiting for a full load which can take some time.

Best to book directly or through a booker like Agoda?

I never stayed at Sabai, but have stayed at Residence Garden, and still would if it were not for the Baht Bus Mafia. They line up at second road and Pattaya south road. They charge 100 to 200 Bt to the Russians going to Jomtien. Imagine, 1000 Bt. for a family of 5 to go a few Km to Jomtien. You have to ride one of these to get back to RG. I have been lucky and got to ride for 10 Bt. when I explained that I was not going to Jomtien. Other nights, I walk the Km or so back to the hotel. After a dozen trips, I started exploring other options.

The Baywalk is probably the closest hotel to Walking street on Beach road. It is 54 USD per night. The rooms are good, TV is a bit lacking in English channels. I like the breakfast, and being able to look out and watch the kite skiers in the morning.

My other choice is The LK Empress at soi 12. The rooms are beautiful and new. Breakfast Buffet is OK. It is around $60 per night. Remember the RG does not have free breakfast, so add 5 or so dollars to the RG price and the costs for the other hotels start to equalize. For those unable to find a woman, they can set you up with one for "massage". I am heading here next week for the weekend and maybe somewhere else for the rest of the week.