Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've flown economy on these new Airbuses that have replaced the 747. Under the aisle seats they have these big boxes that are something to do with the IFE system so you can't stretch your legs out at

Apparently Thai are moving to Terminal 2 later than planned now! Due to baggage handling/other issues apparently?

Yes, my e-mail states that Thai Airways will now be moving to the new T2 at LHR later in the summer, rather oddly Eva Air still move as scheduled next Wednesday.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Do Thai Airways still use their old 747's with no IFE on the LHR BKK route ?

A340-600 are scheduled to do both daily flights.

If not do they offer personal IFE now ?

Economy class on the A340-600 offers IFE.

I've flown economy on these new Airbuses that have replaced the 747. Under the aisle seats they have these big boxes that are something to do with the IFE system so you can't stretch your legs out at all so the quoted 34 inch pitch that is claimed is pure bullshit where aisle seats are concerned, infact there is actually NO legroom truth be known. You can only sit upright! Bear in mind you have to endure these cramped conditions for 12 - 13 hours!

It is now truly a nightmare journey if you get an aisle seat as many folk find it nigh on impossible to sleep sitting upright.

The IFE screens are blurred and the STOP/FF/RW/PAUSE controls did not respond so in my opinion the new plane is a dead loss. Bring back the good old Jumbos. Little wonder the Yanks say 'If it ain't Boeing I ain't going'.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've flown economy on these new Airbuses that have replaced the 747. Under the aisle seats they have these big boxes that are something to do with the IFE system so you can't stretch your legs out at all so the quoted 34 inch pitch that is claimed is pure bullshit where aisle seats are concerned, infact there is actually NO legroom truth be known. You can only sit upright! Bear in mind you have to endure these cramped conditions for 12 - 13 hours!

It is now truly a nightmare journey if you get an aisle seat as many folk find it nigh on impossible to sleep sitting upright.

The IFE screens are blurred and the STOP/FF/RW/PAUSE controls did not respond so in my opinion the new plane is a dead loss. Bring back the good old Jumbos. Little wonder the Yanks say 'If it ain't Boeing I ain't going'.

It seems the locations of the under-seat boxes is more complex, sometimes under a window seat too. It looks like nearly all window seats and K seats get them. Makes picking your seat complex. Source.

Once had a seat like you describe on an EVA 747 before they changed to 777 . IFE box under the seat in front of you made it impossible to stretch your legs . Bloody awful !!

Once had a seat like you describe on an EVA 747 before they changed to 777 . IFE box under the seat in front of you made it impossible to stretch your legs . Bloody awful !!

I've also flown on an 777 with EVA (a twin engined job) and they have the same boxes as the 340 (a four engined machine) under whole rows of aisle seats. I submitted a comment on customer reviews about the under seat restrictions to legroom on these aircraft but my comments strangely so far have not appeared on the website.

I experienced no such a problem in 20 odd years and around 30 flights on Jumbo jets although I never had a seat facing the bulkheads to the galley or mid fuselage WCs.

Just see a few pics of the refitted 747-400 cabins on Thai's Facebook (UK) page. Shows new first class suites and all economy seats fitted with IFE, wonder if they'll also have the boxes under the seats as I'm sure this aircraft will be back on the LHR - BKK route before the 380 which may never appear on this route. Strange thing is, they've refitted biz class which I would sometimes splash out on if a good year with another version of the angled lie flat seat (170° recline). Strange decision.

Edited by FoxtrotOscar

I had the same problem on EVA's 777, but there is no box in aisle row G.

PB#1

• 3 months later...

With fares as they are, it looks like I may be flying Thai on the A340-600 from LHR in late January instead of my usual Eva 777.

With Eva row G has no IFE box in front, what aisle rows on the Thai airbus have no IFE boxes in front?

TIA

With fares as they are, it looks like I may be flying Thai on the A340-600 from LHR in late January instead of my usual Eva 777.

With Eva row G has no IFE box in front, what aisle rows on the Thai airbus have no IFE boxes in front?

TIA

A, G and K are the seats that DO have a box in front. See Thai A340-600 on seatguru for further info.

Edited by CheshireTom

Thanks for that Tom, I did have a look at seatguru but I was unable to see info on IFE box positions.

It depends what happens at hospital later today whether I go or not,at the beginning of December I had to go to hospital in Hua Hin where they dicoverd DVT as well as Cellulitis, I am now on warfarin but I am not sure if I'll be grounded for a while.

Happy New Year All.

Thanks for that Tom, I did have a look at seatguru but I was unable to see info on IFE box positions.

You have to hover your cursor over the seat you want the info on and a little info bubble pops up.

Im also flying with Thai the end of January.....as you say.they are cheaper than Eva (who Ive been using for years!) now. I originally booked a "B" seat, but a few weeks ago I looked on seat guru (as Tom has posted) and saw that B seats have the I.F.E. box as do K! So a quick phone call to West East to change the seat numbers!

Im also flying with Thai the end of January.....as you say.they are cheaper than Eva (who Ive been using for years!) now. I originally booked a "B" seat, but a few weeks ago I looked on seat guru (as Tom has posted) and saw that B seats have the I.F.E. box as do K! So a quick phone call to West East to change the seat numbers!

Found it Tom, Cheers.

One thing that seems a bit strange is that A and B rows in the rear section are noted as having 2" less legroom than the normal 34" yet J and K have exactly the same number of rows but do not have this warning.

I guess they probably also have 2" less legroom.

I like to sit near to the back of the aircraft because if there are any empty seats on the flight they will probably be in the rear section.

Having said that there are a large number of Business class seats on the A346, do Thai manage to fill them? Looks ideal for a Premium economy section to me. :)

Found it Tom, Cheers.

One thing that seems a bit strange is that A and B rows in the rear section are noted as having 2" less legroom than the normal 34" yet J and K have exactly the same number of rows but do not have this warning.

I guess they probably also have 2" less legroom.

In Section E (the rear section) there are 15 x AB pairs, but only 13 x JK pairs. From Thai's own seat plans ...

It's the window seats,A and K,that have the IFE box. I think B has room to stretch out.

Eva seems to becoming more expensive, including on the LHR route, however there are special prices nocing about with the best ones if you stay for less than one month.

Thai had a promotion up to 31st december with some good fares.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem on EVA's 777, but there is no box in aisle row G.

PB#1

Cheers for that info PigBoy...much appreciated.

Last trip I switched airlines from Cathay Pacific to Eva as there was a big difference in price between the two airlines for the same seat.

Cathay does not have any protruding IFE boxes in their aisle seating and naturally I didn't give this a thought while booking with Eva only to find my leg room severely hampered on the D aisle seat...and from the looks of it the C aisle seats as well.

I meant to have a look at the G aisle seats...but you know how that goes once you land...you just want to get the hell off the plane as quickly as possible. I checked out the "Seat Guru" websites and couldn't come up with any answers to my dilemma...until I Google'd this question and up popped this thread.

Your info enabled me to save quite a bit of dosh which will be injected back into the resort community economy in the form of beer and women. Thanks again.

I used http://www.seatguru.com/ to identify which aisle seat did not have the box on Korean Air 777s--a great resource.

Seat Guru has been significantly dumbed down. I think it coincided with a change in ownership.

• 2 weeks later...