Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi Goldpanner

It's currently on the Frankfurt-BKK route, with no changes planned. I flew on a Thai 747 once in 2007, I had to turn my watch back 20 years when I boarded, they were possibly one of the only carriers not to have personal IFE on long hauls. Glad to hear their A340's are being updated and the 747's retrofitted with it.

Interestingly, anyone looking for a direct flight from LHR-BKK, British Airways run a flight leaving at 1500 in the afternoon arrives BKK mid morning. It's number is BA009, and the aircraft a B777-333ER (I think - could be wrong, but it is a 777 Variant) , sometimes though as it is a codeshare it comes up as an Air Canada flight or an Iberia one. Departs from T5. No idea on prices though.

Having flown BA to HKG before on a 747 it wasn't a bad flight , We recently flew Cathay to the UK on one of their 777's and it was top notch.

Regarding the IFE boxes, they are a pain in the arse, however, I noticed the EVA ones are fairly slim so you can still stretch your legs out to the side of it, unless you have a bag under there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've flown economy on these new Airbuses that have replaced the 747. Under the aisle seats they have these big boxes that are something to do with the IFE system so you can't stretch your legs out at

Apparently Thai are moving to Terminal 2 later than planned now! Due to baggage handling/other issues apparently?

Yes, my e-mail states that Thai Airways will now be moving to the new T2 at LHR later in the summer, rather oddly Eva Air still move as scheduled next Wednesday.

Just flew Thai Air Frankfurt to BKK on an A380.

Got a sweet seat, economy class on second deck exit row seat just behind business class.

Very quiet compared to 747s.

Booked on 787 dreamliner on way home.

Hopefully just as nice.

My last trip on TG several years ago was appalling. The seat base was so worn my bum effectively squashed the worn foam down so I was sitting on the hard base and Im not a heavy bloke.

I wont fly on Arab airlines on principle now, so it looks like its BA untill TG get their A380's running into heathrow

A friend recently went on the BA service, said it was as could be expected, nothing particularly brilliant but pefectly adequate. I think Thai are upping their game a bit. EVA have declined since I first used them back in the 90's, but that I expect is due to corporate changes and growth. Back then on the old 747-400 combi EVA's, the Cabin crew were given a round of applause at the end of the flight.

Anyway, Thai always seems to be running a tired fleet. Thier 747's have been in service 25+ years. Most of EVA's fleet and BA's are relatively new ( I say relatively).

If you do fly BA, let me know how you get on, I'd be interested to know your experiences.

Cheers

Butch

My last trip on TG several years ago was appalling. The seat base was so worn my bum effectively squashed the worn foam down so I was sitting on the hard base and Im not a heavy bloke.

I wont fly on Arab airlines on principle now, so it looks like its BA untill TG get their A380's running into heathrow

Looks like you will be flying only BA in the future then !

A friend recently went on the BA service, said it was as could be expected, nothing particularly brilliant but pefectly adequate. I think Thai are upping their game a bit. EVA have declined since I first used them back in the 90's, but that I expect is due to corporate changes and growth. Back then on the old 747-400 combi EVA's, the Cabin crew were given a round of applause at the end of the flight.

Anyway, Thai always seems to be running a tired fleet. Thier 747's have been in service 25+ years. Most of EVA's fleet and BA's are relatively new ( I say relatively).

If you do fly BA, let me know how you get on, I'd be interested to know your experiences.

Cheers

Butch

I used to like the A340-500s they flew nonstop from the USA to BKK. The Premium Economy seats were a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, they stopped those routes, and now I'd have to take whatever they use to fly to Tokyo and then on to BKK. A long time ago they used 747s. Not sure if that's still the case.

I was hoping that, with the present problems in Thailand that airfares might drop a little.

But its school holiday time soon so I doubt they will

I was hoping that, with the present problems in Thailand that airfares might drop a little.

But its school holiday time soon so I doubt they will

No chance of cheaper airfares until at least September. If bookings are down all the airlines will do is

reduce the number of flights / substitute smaller aircraft and consolidate.

Just a note, TG911, the one which leaves LHR around 12:30 and codeshares with Canadian Airlines is currently a 747-400 which has been refitted with a new cabin.

The later flight at 21:30 is an A340. Or, at least it was today cos I watched it on FlightRadar24 when I should have been working.

:clueless do the 747 thai aircraft have layflat business class seats? will be tg911

From this source it says..

40 angle-flat seats with 170 degrees recline

That's a very pretty looking B787.

Yes, a Boeing 787-8.

According to airlineroute.net it's going to fly Bangkok - Chang Mai in July and August and to Manilla. From 1st September 2014 it will fly the Bangkok- Tokyo route.

Just read on the Thai Airways facebook page and they mention that after the airline relocates from Terminal 3 LHR to the new Terminal 2 in June / July (along with EVA) they then plan to phase in the Airbus A380 on the LHR- BKK route from around Oct 2014.

It was, however, a posting from last year so how true or accurate it is is anyone's guess. Might be worth keeping an eye on their fb page just in case though. They don't mention which service ( the 12:00 departure, TG911 or the 21:30 departure TG916) they plan to use it on.

Yes, my e-mail states that Thai Airways will now be moving to the new T2 at LHR later in the summer, rather oddly Eva Air still move as scheduled next Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

Yep, I saw that there are some issues with the baggage / systems etc, mainly teething problems. I think the Airport operator are keen to avoid the fiasco when T5 opened, however, saying that an IT problem the other day left passengers departing T5 without their baggage. Ironic, eh?.

BTW I meant to mention and correct a couple of mistakes. If or when Thai replace the B747 or A340 with the A380 it's mentioned they intend to replace the Plane currently running on the TG916 outward and TG917 inward (to LHR) service which, I think, is the one which leaves LHR at 21:35 and arrives in BKK at 15:20. If you go to their fb page and scroll back to June 4th 2013 it gives the details there.

It might be that with their delayed move to T2 the introduction of the Airbus A380 might be delayed or even dropped altogether. Hope not.

Edited by Butch

Yep, I saw that there are some issues with the baggage / systems etc, mainly teething problems. I think the Airport operator are keen to avoid the fiasco when T5 opened, however, saying that an IT problem the other day left passengers departing T5 without their baggage. Ironic, eh?.

BTW I meant to mention and correct a couple of mistakes. If or when Thai replace the B747 or A340 with the A380 it's mentioned they intend to replace the Plane currently running on the TG916 outward and TG917 inward (to LHR) service which, I think, is the one which leaves LHR at 21:35 and arrives in BKK at 15:20. If you go to their fb page and scroll back to June 4th 2013 it gives the details there.

It might be that with their delayed move to T2 the introduction of the Airbus A380 might be delayed or even dropped altogether. Hope not.

Thai Airways have no plans to introduce the A380 on the LHR-BKK route.

Brown,

I have also heard that mate, but according to their facebook page they did have back in June 2013. As with many things in the airline industry plans often change, perhaps this is something they had planned and have since decided against. I've since read that they plan to phase in the A380 in Oct 2014. We'll just have to wait and see.

They're also now offering on board internet on the new 787's and A380 fleet. Not cheap though.

EDIT got this announcement from July 2 2013 on the Thai facebook page (click on the blue links for info & replies):

A380 Delay for Thai Airways’ London-Bangkok fleet.

Thai Airways regrets to announce that due to important technical modifications, the A380 will not be able to commence its operation on the Heathrow- Bangkok route as planned from December 1, 2013. Tentative operational date has been set on 30 October 2014.
When introduced, the A380, the world’s largest aircraft will operate the London-Bangkok day flight whilst the A346 will be re-introduced to the overnight flight.
Until next winter and the introduction of the A380, Thai Airways will continue to use its B747 on the route, leading on to over 70 cities across 5 continents.

The introduction of the A380 will make flying between London and Bangkok an even more enjoyable and unforgettable experience and we can only apologise for the unforeseen delay.

Edited by Butch

Brown,

I have also heard that mate, but according to their facebook page they did have back in June 2013. As with many things in the airline industry plans often change, perhaps this is something they had planned and have since decided against. I've since read that they plan to phase in the A380 in Oct 2014. We'll just have to wait and see.

They're also now offering on board internet on the new 787's and A380 fleet. Not cheap though.

EDIT got this announcement from July 2 2013 on the Thai facebook page (click on the blue links for info & replies):

Thai Airways

2 July 2013 near London

A380 Delay for Thai Airways’ London-Bangkok fleet.

Thai Airways regrets to announce that due to important technical modifications, the A380 will not be able to commence its operation on the Heathrow- Bangkok route as planned from December 1, 2013. Tentative operational date has been set on 30 October 2014.

When introduced, the A380, the world’s largest aircraft will operate the London-Bangkok day flight whilst the A346 will be re-introduced to the overnight flight.

Until next winter and the introduction of the A380, Thai Airways will continue to use its B747 on the route, leading on to over 70 cities across 5 continents.

The introduction of the A380 will make flying between London and Bangkok an even more enjoyable and unforgettable experience and we can only apologise for the unforeseen delay.

Lots of people would love to see the A380 on the LHR-BKK route however at long last the Thai Board of Directors are now

understanding the economics of the airline industry. LHR-BKK is not a high revenue route and yields are much lower then

other European routes where more money with this aircraft can be made.

Having said all that who knows and perhaps Thai might just for prestige put this aircraft on the LHR-BKK route.

I just booked with thia to fly from heathrow on the 13th aug and it says terminal 2 and yes its a 747 , on the way back on the 25th aug its a A340-600 it says

I just booked with thia to fly from heathrow on the 13th aug and it says terminal 2 and yes its a 747 , on the way back on the 25th aug its a A340-600 it says

I would be double checking your departure terminal if I was you, as it won't be the new terminal then. Signs in LHR this afternoon just stated end of August.

• 1 month later...

Read today that Thai are going to use the 787's on the BKK-Perth-BKK routes. Still no news on their move to T2 LHR, or anything about phasing in the A380. Guess it's business as usual then...