Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Dungheap,

There is very nice restaurant right opposite R.G. - called Alois. Tell them you friend of Russell and they will look after you very well. They have great temperature controlled wine cellar too. Now one of my favourites in Patts.

Cheers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no need to go across the dual carriageway for laundry. Just turn left and go past Mr Macs, across the small soi on your left and up to the moto taxi stand. Just on the left there is a small

Stayed there in 2004, never again. There are cheaper and much better hotels which are closer to all the action.

I stay there about 10 weeks a year it's a nice comfortable clean and hassle free hotel I was last there 10 days ago. Who cares or is interested in what was there 10 years ago.Only someone who has to h

Posted Images

Went to the 15 year Anniversary party of the Residence Garden last night, they have now built a new restaurant and bar which goes around the swimming pool, they've done a great job, its transformed the place.

Highly recommended.

:thumbup

Went to the 15 year Anniversary party of the Residence Garden last night, they have now built a new restaurant and bar which goes around the swimming pool, they've done a great job, its transformed the place.

Highly recommended.

:thumbup

Sounds good. I would have thought they would have put out some sort of promotional material regarding this, particularly for those on their client mailing list. Anyone got any more info on this ?

Dungheap,

There is very nice restaurant right opposite R.G. - called Alois. Tell them you friend of Russell and they will look after you very well. They have great temperature controlled wine cellar too. Now one of my favourites in Patts.

Cheers

Had a very quick look at this place on my last trip. If I remember rightly its the establishment, almost opposite RG on the right hand side of the new development "set back" a little. Looks like a nice place to take a lady for a bit of a treat. Definitely not cheap, and I would expect very good quality service, and food. The menu looks first class !

Here's a link to their website http://www.aloispattaya.com/

Edited by N3RGT

Sounds good. I would have thought they would have put out some sort of promotional material regarding this, particularly for those on their client mailing list. Anyone got any more info on this ?

I think invites were sent to admin but also I think it was more of a soft opening as there are some small works still to do. :thumbup

I am not sure there'd be much of a benefit to that. The furniture is clean and undamaged, the floors and walls are clean, the TVs are adequate in both rooms, what would they do (other than increase the price)?

Flat screen TVs in the bedrooms would be nice, better curtains in the bedrooms to block out the light, double glazing in the bedrooms so you are not disturbed by people walking in the corridor, remote controls for the air con, just some nice touches.

Not knocking the place, it was great when it was new, the rooms need a facelift now in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

The road has gotten noisier due to the double lanes each way. Buses and other vehicles making a ton of noise due to non existent muffler systems and blaring loudspeakers make relaxing by he pool a bit challenging.

Sleeping is not a problem with the rooms on the back side.

Still a good place to stay though.

View from room 301.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

ttk thanks for the pics. I had heard they had moved the evening buffet area around. Looks like they have added another "wing" at 90 degrees to the original. On my last stay there was some building going on at the rear of the hotel. Anyone know what that has become ? I presumed at the time that it was construction of apartments or similar. This hotel has always been a favourite of mine due to it having so many excellent attributes, the staff in particular, but also the very cordial manner in which it is run.

Edited by N3RGT

I recently stayed there for two nights while having some work done at home, i was very pleasantly surprised at how the staff remember me form my last stay there 8 YEARS AGO. The room was nice and had flat screen TV etc. The bed mattress is now nice and comfortable, showers still excellent and the food at the BBQ buffet is very good. We ate one night at Altos across the road opposite and it is shite, give that place a wide berth. But the Residence hotel is still excellent and staff are still excellent.

• Upvote 2

Stayed there in 2004, never again. There are cheaper and much better hotels which are closer to all the action.

Okay, care to say which hotels that would be. BTW, I have timed an amble from RG to FLB at less than 15 minutes.

Complete bollocks

• Upvote 1

Okay, care to say which hotels that would be. BTW, I have timed an amble from RG to FLB at less than 15 minutes.

15 would be a slow stroll. You can easily beat the baht busses between 5 and 10 pm.

I stayed there on my first or second trip because it was promoted here on the Forum. Could have been 2003, I'd have to check. I left because I wasn't impressed with the location nor the room. What I did like was the pool out front and I did also enjoy the food I ate at the Captain's Corner. I subsequently found the place was overpriced even taking into account the discount when booking through this forum.

If I remember correctly I moved to the Sabai Resort on Second Road/Soi 3 junction.

The location lets it down more than anything. Fuck all else in the immediate vicinity.

I stayed here in May last year. Have stayed a few times before but stopped coming because of the road noise. It still is no better. Balanced against this is the size of the rooms. I will always consider it as an option but still too pricey.

Surprised by all this. I used the RG for many years and liked the monthly special price I got, the separate bedroom was a plus for me and that kept the road noise down. I even recommended it to a visiting friend just over a year ago and he liked it. Years ago there wasn't much nearby but there sure is a lot more now. Easy walk into town.... important these days with all the baht buses being full or looking for taxi fares. Often 3 up on a bike to get back!

More of the cheaper places are around Soi LK Metro or 7/8 where it will be noisier.

• Upvote 1

ttk thanks for the pics. I had heard they had moved the evening buffet area around. Looks like they have added another "wing" at 90 degrees to the original. On my last stay there was some building going on at the rear of the hotel. Anyone know what that has become ? I presumed at the time that it was construction of apartments or similar. This hotel has always been a favourite of mine due to it having so many excellent attributes, the staff in particular, but also the very cordial manner in which it is run.

I have stayed there 4 times from early 2011 to last November. There were 4 lanes there then, so I guess the last stays might have been some time ago. Same with construction out back, there's none, though in April the rearranging the Captain's Corner was noisy. All done when I was there November.

The building next door has been there at least two years as well, and next to it is the dirt cheap Mr. Macs. It looks cheap.

I can walk to Walking Street in less than 15 minutes. All downhill and when the traffic is bad, probably faster than a Baht bus. All depends on your desire to walk, really.

Even in the living room noise is not an issue but the bedroom is facing the back walkway anyway so you can't hear anything. Out behind the hotel is a slummy sort of local housing area and not noisy at all.

Edited by Grandpollo
Guest Fatboyfat

Years ago the pic of the crop used to be the Sunbeam

Are you sure? :clueless Or am I caught up in a Whoooosh moment here? The Sunbeam has always been a nightmare scenario, catering mainly for extremely noisy Asian package tourists who constantly filled and purloined the lifts (elevators).Expensive, too, for the punter off the street.

You wouldn't mean the Sunshine, also on Soi 8 would you?