Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

How safe are hotel safes?

Just read this on PattayaOne about a group of Arab scammers working Pattaya hotels :

"He led the team of four men who would use fake passports to check-in at hotels. They would then identify rooms occupied by foreign nationals. Using a credit card, they would be able to open room safes and remove valuables which would then be sold on and the proceeds would be split between the men."

How can someone open the safe by using a bank card?

I remember reading that the master code is usually 123456 or 000000,that there is a master key,or that these boxes can be opened with a cigarette lighter. Maybe this is true,maybe not.

I keep loads of stuff in the in room safes,never been ripped,but these stories make me wonder just how safe the safes are.

Cheap in room safe keeps honest people honest. They provide minimal security but way better then leaving your wallet out on the table.

• Upvote 1

In my own opinion newer safes change the combination every time you use it, but they still have a master key because some people cannot remember a four digit code. They are reasonably secure from outsiders and cannot be opened with a credit card. However, you still have to worry about the staff in some hotels. I use a sealed envelope to prevent one or two bills from being taken from a stack. But if someone goes into your safe they can still take the entire envelope.

They hotel room safe is good for keeping your valuables safe while you have company in your room. Mostly, the room safe keeps honest people in your room more honest. Like anywhere, if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will find a way. All you can do is try to make your stuff not an easy target. My routine is to not leave all my valuables in one spot, but use various hiding places. All you can really do is protect yourself from amateurs and not be interesting to professional thieves.

• Upvote 2

Cheap in room safe keeps honest people honest. They provide minimal security but way better then leaving your wallet out on the table.

This is one of those topics that has been done to death more than once. As D points out, what's your alternative? Some swear by lock boxes at the front desk, but I avoid hotels that use them if I possibly can. And if you see someone walking down the hall with a potato, you're in real trouble.

Still none the wiser how the safe can be opened by a third party with a bank card?

And what's the cigarette lighter situation....does the heat make the combination invalid?

Just curious how either of these articles can compromise the security of the box.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=954ZIcLM7gE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Billions

I've never had a problem, but still, I try not to travel with a bunch of stiff that might get stolen. My money is in my bank or my pocket, and I leave a little in my room safe for emergencies. I also carry travelers checks, but if those are stolen, they're replaced. I guess the worst that could happen is that I lose a few dollars and perhaps my laptop and camera.

I agree. The better hotels will have a decent safe, but the cheap electronic safe used in most of the under 2000 baht hotels and guest houses are not much better than hiding your wallet under your pillow. I prefer a behind the desk two key personal safe, or a behind the desk bring my own lock over a cheap electronic in room safe. I like the better safes that reset the combination each time they are used. I pick a number that I will never forget like the last 4 digits of my home phone number, work number, or something similar. Phone numbers are good because you can take a friend or family's number you know well, then write on the safe, Bill, and you will remember it's Bill's number. You can do the same writing the words, Home, Mom, Work, GF and such.

The better hotels will have a decent safe, but the cheap electronic safe used in most of the under 2000 baht hotels and guest houses are not much better than hiding your wallet under your pillow. I prefer a behind the desk two key personal safe, or a behind the desk bring my own lock over a cheap electronic in room safe.

I know that I may be one night away from agreeing with you about the respective merits of in room versus front desk safes.

I no longer believe that staying at a 5-star establishment is any guarantee against irregularities as to security. The last time I had a problem with my credit card info being misappropriated, it was my work credit card so I had used it only one place in six months. The employer would whack me seriously if I used it for personal purposes. The place I had used it was a Hilton hotel in Portland, Oregon. Fortunately, the bank caught it in short order.

Use a personal locking system - that way you don't have to depend entirely on the safe (although I think the room safes are adequate most of the time if you're not advertising your wealth and keeping a reasonably low profile). I do wish it were easier to set up bank accounts over there...

There are a few ways to see this. A couple of years ago there was a great U Tube video of opening a cheap safe with a potato. The reality for most of us is that we will never have our rooms rifled and it would be hard luck if it ever happened.

I have been staying at the same hotel for a couple of years now and they know me and all my bad habits. I dont think that anyone would be given a key because of this.

I dont have the option of a lock box at reception but even if I did I would still use the in room safe which is behind a well locked door and at night while asleep is still locked and the door of the room has a safety device as well.

For most of us this is a nil worry because we have no viable options.

Hi,

Yep agree 100% with Cheshire. I opened an AC with Kasikorn in Big C within 30 mins of stepping out of the shower once I arrived in Pattaya. Piece of piss. All i needed was my hotel address, passport and of course, cash. They did all the paperwork, issued me a Debit card there and then and the girl showed me how to change the PIN.

If you have an account, set up your internet banking while in Pattaya, because I understand it's not possible to do this once you've left for some reason, then you can transfer your money before you arrive the next time.

I'm not sure how long the AC is kept open if the balance is low, or if indeed there's a minimum balance needed for it to be active after a while. for those on a 2 trip / 3 trip yearly, KKB is by far the best option.

Concerning Hotel safes, if you're building a hotel and need a safe for 500 rooms, you're going to go for the cheapest option, weith that comes a compromise in security of the thing and even it's structural integrity. It is possible to open one with a hard bang on the top, or if not some very basic tools. (youtube to the rescue)...

If I were faced with leaving valuables or cash in my room, first stop would be to put it in my case,& lock the case with a length of plastic reinforced steel cable wrapped around it. Sounds like overkill ,and if anyone wanted to steal it, they could but, making it harder to do kind of gives you a feeling that you've done your best....

Cheers

Butch

Edited by Butch

If you have an account, set up your internet banking while in Pattaya, because I understand it's not possible to do this once you've left for some reason, then you can transfer your money before you arrive the next time.

You can transfer money into the account w/o needing to access it online.

I'm not sure how long the AC is kept open if the balance is low, or if indeed there's a minimum balance needed for it to be active

500 Baht is the min. balance for most, after it has no activity for 6 months the will deduct an Administrative fee until there's no money left and close the account.

KKB is by far the best option.

They go by KBank, it's their stock symbol too.

Edited by LocalYokul

I thought Thailand had inaugurated anti-money laundering schemes making it much more difficult for foreigners to set up bank accounts. Was that just talk? Or maybe Kasikorn is an exception for some reason? Or maybe they haven't kicked in yet?

I thought Thailand had inaugurated anti-money laundering schemes making it much more difficult for foreigners to set up bank accounts. Was that just talk? Or maybe Kasikorn is an exception for some reason? Or maybe they haven't kicked in yet?

I opened one in May, 20 minutes or thereabouts.

There have been reports of people opening accounts anyway. If you haven't already, then I suggest you do it soonest. If one branch doesn't succeed, then try a few others. ATM card, internet banking and SWIFT make the holiday cheaper and less hassle.

Am planning more frequent & longer trips in the years ahead, and would like to have the account. I'll be on the ground 30NOV. 'Will put this near the top of my to-do list, and I guess try Kasikorn first. Thanks.

why keep money in your hotel safe? What is wrong with an ATM card? So, it costs a few quid for a transaction, but there is no worrying about money in your safe. Granted I have only been there once, but I get my money, put it in my front pocket, no problem. I get back with a girl and put my money under the mattress, not much chance of most bar girls shifting that, especially when I am lying on it.

Some people prefer the cash economy,no reliance on banks,ATMs or leaving a trail of expenditure. Not for everyone,but people live this way. Don't assume that your financial style suits anybody else,or question them for going down another path.

And safes aren't just for cash,but important documents,keys,cameras,phones,digital devices and suchlike.

why keep money in your hotel safe? What is wrong with an ATM card? So, it costs a few quid for a transaction, but there is no worrying about money in your safe. Granted I have only been there once, but I get my money, put it in my front pocket, no problem. I get back with a girl and put my money under the mattress, not much chance of most bar girls shifting that, especially when I am lying on it.

Even if you rely on the ATM card for your operating expenses, you're likely to have more cash on hand than you will possibly use on a particular outing. Losing 10k baht if my pocket is picked won't ruin me, but I prefer to be prudent so it comes down to alternatives to walking around with it. I happen to think

ive just purchased a lock from amazon .... called 'milockie' if you google it you can see it, if you put it in youtube you can see how it works .. it acts as a secondry lock on your room safe, its not an anti theft device as it could be easely smashed off, but you would have evidence to the hotel owners that your safes been broken into, some staff just skim a couple of thousand baht off your wad, which you cant prove... if they have broken your lock you can prove that staff or someone has been in your safe .... STAY 'SAFE' OUT THERE !!

'Been coming since 1984. Have stayed quite an assortment of different hotels in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, AC & a few other places. Always used in-room safes, or safety deposit box in lobby when I had to. Never had a problem using either (but have started layering on a personal security device as well). Used a few ATMs last trip as well - actually feel less secure using them, entering PINs & accessing accounts from here in Thailand.

Some people prefer the cash economy,no reliance on banks,ATMs or leaving a trail of expenditure. Not for everyone,but people live this way. Don't assume that your financial style suits anybody else,or question them for going down another path.

And safes aren't just for cash,but important documents,keys,cameras,phones,digital devices and suchlike.

Most people have been winging about cash getting skimmed, hard to prove. I am not talking about other items. I merely said why keep what appears to be in some cases massive wads of cash in a safe?

I've been using ATMs, online banking, electronic transactions since I had an account and have never once had a problem. Accepted, Thailand is behind the western world in electronic transactions, and I hate using cash, but still I just can't see why in this century someone would keep tens of thousands of whatever currency in a room safe.