Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hello,

For my next visa I am considering a student visa. Currently I have a Non Im O good till early December.

Now there are many "schools" that provide this service and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share.

Recommendations, first hand accounts, pricing and requirements, how much would one have to study, horror stories, etc.

I live in central Pattaya so a central place preferred.

I look forward to reading about all of it.

Cheers.

C.

I think I read somewhere that they were planning on cracking down on this type of visa? Might be harder to get? Not that you shouldn't go for it if you really want to study in Thailand, but if you're just looking for an easy way to get a visa, why not try some other route?

I have heard that when you go into immigration they will talk to you in Thai, first year level after a year, second year after two years. You better converse with them in Thai.

That's not a bad thing but it means a school that you are basically paying 20,000 Baht to get you a visa now has to teach you Thai so you a) have to find one that can and B) go to school.

Most people need something to do so a few hours a day in school wouldn't be the end of the world. I can tell you having a 2nd language is a boon when you are in a place where you need it.

Mind you for the world Spanish or one or both Chinese dialects would be more useful generally.

As for a central Pattaya location, well each time I go down Klang towards the beach, I see big adverts on the right just before I get to the BigC-X junction.

... but if you're just looking for an easy way to get a visa, why not try some other route?

Which route ? If you are not "an old man" and don't want to come in Thailand to work, there is not many options...

Investment is still one of them (10 million baht I think) but I consider that marrying a Thai girl is a too high price for a visa ;)

ED Visa is the good option today for "young guys"

Keep in mind you don't have to learn only Thai. It could be any foreign language, Thai box, cooking,.... many things.

There is no problem with ED Visa in Pattaya or Bangkok. Phuket had some problems recently because it was too easy to get 12-months stays while other places give 3-months stays that you can renew during years. There is not one question asked when you renew at Jomtien immigration. Just pay 1,900 baht, every 3 months. All papers prepared by school.

For school there are tens of them in Pattaya. Just look on the Internet. You need to go only 4 hours a week; I choose 2 x 2 hours, easy. You will go there many time, so choose a good one. Price can vary a lot, but you should find good ones at 16-20,000 baht/year. Ask & read what students are saying from their school. Don't hesitate to try them. In most you can get a free lesson to see from inside how they work. Some only have courses and documentation in Thai, with just English to give the signification of new words, (the way I like) while other schools have course at 90% in English... Test them & choose the one you like, on an easy access from your home.

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Some good advice here but still no recommendation for a school.

Idefix, I'm guessing your school isn't in central Pattaya.

I've also heard that immigration at the border will speak to you in Thai, but that is ok for me as I already speak some basic stuff and have good pronunciation.

C.

Idefix, I'm guessing your school isn't in central Pattaya.

Excel Language Centre, near Big C South Rd/Sukhumvit.

You must have 3 or 4 schools just around Big C Extra on Central Rd, and many others.

I've also heard that immigration at the border will speak to you in Thai

And why would you go to the border if you have an ED Visa ??

The big advantage of ED Visa is: No more visarun :)

You just have to go Jomtien Immigration office every 3 months and give them documents the school prepared.

Not a Thai word required yet.

How bad do you want that visa what about this.

Any Visa obtained when you are inside Thailand is Illegal (except some special cases by Immigration itself)

Stay away of all this kinds of offer.

Excel Language Centre, near Big C South Rd/Sukhumvit.

You must have 3 or 4 schools just around Big C Extra on Central Rd, and many others.

And why would you go to the border if you have an ED Visa ??

The big advantage of ED Visa is: No more visarun :)

You just have to go Jomtien Immigration office every 3 months and give them documents the school prepared.

Not a Thai word required yet.

Any Visa obtained when you are inside Thailand is Illegal (except some special cases by Immigration itself)

Stay away of all this kinds of offer.

Thanks. I'll have look around Big C extra.

I thought that once per year I'd have to leave Thailand to renew the student visa hence the border immigration officer speaking Thai to me. I might have remembered this wrong.

C.