Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

RESTAURANTS- what makes you go in?

I'm semi retired but it gets boring. In my previous working life I did a lot of business development and consults.I still make myself available a few times a year on freelance gigs.

I've been engaged by a client who intends to buy a poorly performing but well located restaurant, revamp it with decor and menu, keep it less than a year and either sell it or close it down.He is seeking a short lease. Sort of like the latest retail trend of "pop up shops".

His menu idea revolves around dishes of small portions of different types on the one plate.sort of like maximized tasting plates. Mid tier pricing.

So my question is- what makes you go into a restaurant if your a walkby? Do you seek out a certain food type? Is it price structure? Appearance?

What makes you go back? Clearly if its crap you wont return, but lets say its average and your other choices are average- what would make you chose one over the other?

Any other comments.

Thanks in advance.

Z

• Downvote 1

I look for a specific type of food. If I'm interested in fish and chips. I head to the Queen Vic or Tropical Bert's. I'm willing to try another restaurant. I look on the local TV for suggestions. Last trip I tried the Longhorn Steak house because of the advertising and was served a steak that was tasteless. I won't go there again.

• Downvote 1

Hi Zaris,

What make me go so rarely in restaurants is that in most places the menu is far too copious!

I am not a big guy and not a big eater, in most restaurant I can barely eat half the food of the basic menu...

I did like The Strogonoff restaurant (now closed) because he had a "Small Menu" with just 1 entry, 1 main plate, 1 dessert.

I like food courts because I take what I want/need and will not pay for many food I will not eat.

Ok, not everyone like me, but it use to be a fair number of customers for the "Small Menu".

Yes, reading "small portions" at a restaurant increase the chance I will try it. :smile:

I look for a specific type of food. If I'm interested in fish and chips. I head to the Queen Vic or Tropical Bert's. I'm willing to try another restaurant. I look on the local TV for suggestions. Last trip I tried the Longhorn Steak house because of the advertising and was served a steak that was tasteless. I won't go there again.

Do you mean Big Horn? Longhorn was the restaurant at what was Shagwell Mansion. :clueless

Edited by CheshireTom

I've been engaged by a client who intends to buy a poorly performing but well located restaurant, revamp it with decor and menu, keep it less than a year and either sell it or close it down.He is seeking a short lease. Sort of like the latest retail trend of "pop up shops".

Why would he waste his money revamping the landlords property ?

Why would anyone buy a business with an expired lease or very short lease ?

If I've read good things about a particular place, I might be inclined to try it out, if I'm in the area and in the mood for that type of food.

Or, if I see that a places is crowded, I figure they must be doing something right.

My own decision making reasons:

Photos or food sculptures to see what i will get....

Prices shown simply and understandable... and visible...

Not only russian, finnish, german menus opened at the entry...but english...

Value for the ingredients were invested in the food... No any pizzas, sphagetties .... close nothing invested in the ingredients, just the tourist rip off... my duck noodle soup for 50 baht invested a quarter duck... No any russian food ... I can buy a won-ton soup for 20 baht, whilst the won tons with a drop of sour cream and a small piece of dill is sold for 150 baht as a russian food called: pelmeni... ( the russians are the worst type of the ripoff target.... they are simple dumb.. )

The same in the hungarian - austrian restaurant Treff on Naklua... a lousy piece of dip fried pork liver sold for 320 baht as a nostalgy...

I have a kitchen in my condo and I can cook...( and I do it better, than the restaurant thai employees ) Why pay for two fried eggs ( 10 baht costs for me ) two toasts ( 2 baht ) coffee ( 5 baht ) etc... 180 baht called it a " Jumbo breakfast " ?

So... i will be happy to visit any restaurants shows the right prices vs the invested ingredients...

Like most people I suspect a combination of decent food at a reasonable price and a high level of service, polite staff, who get it right and things don't take too long.

As I live out of town I also have to consider how easy the place is to get to and where can I park..... I lose my appetite sitting at polluted Pattaya junctions.... Of course in Pattaya you need to consider how much foot traffic there is too.

Edited by jacko

The personality and reputation of the owner...

Good value...

and also the place offers something I can't get at the other 99% of the resturants in the area...

let's face it... the ingredients are extremely limited in LOS...and everybody copies successful dishes from others...

Thanks for all the replies.

I should have mentioned that the client is in Sydney, not in patts.

To address the " why do it"- restaurants can provide a huge return if very successful.Thats why people keep trying I guess. A good successful place in Sydney can produce profits of 5 to 10K a week.

But as pointed out by EVIL PENEVIL is the "opening a bar thread"

I don't know if there are any reliable statistics about business failures in Pattaya. Studies have indicated that in North America and Europe, about 2/3s of all new small businesses fail within two years. The failure rate is much higher in some branches in some locations. For restaurants and other hospitality related small businesses, the rate tends to be between 80% and 90%.."

5 yrs ago I co worked on a restaurant in Sydney which had, 2 yrs prior been making 35k a week! Profits were now around 9k. We made numerous recommendations but unfortunately the owner was stuck in the " glory days" mentality and ignored all of them and continued as is.

About 2yrs later he closed the doors after losing 30k a month for 6 months.

my clent is interested in a grand opening, heavy promotion for a few months and let it ride for 12 mths. Few gimicks in portion size, mid tier pricing,Spend minimum on decor via using tablecloths, paintings/ photos for decoration.New carpet, paint. Set up cost is surprisingly small if your not spending $$ in the kitchen.

I think we can make it work.

Again- thanks for any contributions. :thumbup

• Downvote 1

Clean, bright, well lighted and openly displayed prices. A huge number of items on the menu is a turn off. Friendly staff is a big plus. I really don't care about the decor or gimmicks. I also expect chairs with a back even if they are plastic. No stools.

A busy place is a huge plus but you can't expect that with a new place. No customers week after week sends a message.

• Upvote 1