Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I've only done 4 border runs.The larger vans used for them are far more spacious with each passenger having their own seat-what we call in the States a Captains Chair.Of course they recline also,have curtains and video if you are so inclined.I was not aware there were vans to the border similar to the van described in this thread.

Yes and large coaches used to go too.

The type you are talking of sounds like First Class Visa Runs or Five Star, with the nice big seats and limited to 6 passengers.

There are still 12 seater buses doing the run.

There are still 12 seater buses doing the run.

12 seats in a mini-bus ??? What kind of minibus was that ? an extended one ?

I made numerous of visarun "before" going to the Cambodia border and always got minibus similar to the ones on pictures in the first message : they are 3x3 + 1 seats and comfortable enough if you are not too tall... and not a big beer drinker ;)

I remember a visarun to Vientiane from a cheap place on Soi Buakhao where we still had 9 seats but in a very long minibus with large seats you could nearly put horizontal. A good choice for a nearly 1 night travel.

12 seats in a mini-bus ??? What kind of minibus was that ? an extended one ?

I made numerous of visarun "before" going to the Cambodia border and always got minibus similar to the ones on pictures in the first message : they are 3x3 + 1 seats and comfortable enough if you are not too tall... and not a big beer drinker ;)

I remember a visarun to Vientiane from a cheap place on Soi Buakhao where we still had 9 seats but in a very long minibus with large seats you could nearly put horizontal. A good choice for a nearly 1 night travel.

I made a 'visa run ' into a trip or two to Cambodia (Snooky), which involved an overnighter in Koh Kong and change of vehicle. There might well have been more than 12. Your configuration doesn't seem to consider a long back seat or driver even. Non could have been described as comfortable...... you will get what you pay for and after another miserable hot trip from Snooky to PP, on something between a minibus and a coach, which also got packed, I was looking for flights back to Thailand.

I go back a few years, the mini-bus trips to/from Bangkok and airport were horrible too.

Edited by jacko

I've used this service many times, the one from across the road diagonally from Tukcom and there is one across the road from Walking st. When I first started using them it was 140baht but there is competition now and prices have dropped. One thing I am a wee bit apprehensive about is the speed of some of them but in my experience there are some good and careful drivers but recently there have been a few accidents involving vans probably not the ones we are talking about but tragic none the less. I remember once I got in the van and it was packed with girls going back to work after their holidays a long weekend, they were all speaking Thai so I put my headphones on and enjoyed the ride. I like to sit in the front or the seat next to the door, quick exit in case of emergency.

From my experience the van is pretty uncomfortable unless you're as thin as the average Thai.

Used them a few times in the last few weeks.

Last time was Friday and again we had the back seat. Not good as I am 186cm.

But more important.

We wandered past another mini van company and decided to use them instead. Same price but they don't use the toll way! That added another 40 minutes to the trip. The old highway is even worse than the tollway and very busy with only 2 lanes each way.

So ask before you try another place or just stick with what you know.

C

Edited by chameleonic

Used them a few times in the last few weeks.

Last time was Friday and again we had the back seat. Not good as I am 186cm.

But more important.

We wandered past another mini van company and decided to use them instead. Same price but they don't use the toll way! That added another 40 minutes to the trip. The old highway is even worse than the tollway and very busy with only 2 lanes each way.

So ask before you try another place or just stick with what you know.

C

Are you saying they didn't use the motorway (No7) , nor the elevated road on Hwy 3.

Sri Racha is a bad bottleneck and I can't imagine staying at ground level down what is effectively Sukhumvit!

(The last one I used went down 7, came off before Chonburi and was soon up on the elevated Rd West of the motorway... we made it quite quickly.)

Edited by jacko

I'm not that familiar with the roads as I just sit back and read. Can't see anything anyways sitting in the back of these vans.

Coming from BKK we only had one toll point with this company instead of three with the other one going up.

It was one hell of a shitty ride compared to the other times I went up and back.

C.

Anybody that has spent any time in these potential death traps in the row of seats on the rear axle that claims it is worth the money probably makes a note of all the balloons as they approach town.......Sitting above the rear axle you feel every bump in the road directly into your cocyx, straight up your spine..If you could book your seat fine...otherwise forget it..

I intend to go to pattaya (and on to koh larn) next week on the 10th. Ive heard around song kran transport can get busy, is there any way for me to book this van, or the bus from ekamai, in advance? Or are there so many busses that it wont be necessary?

Also can i book the boat to koh larn and the return trip to bkk in advance?

Thanks for your help

The 10th is before the official Songkran holiday....14th-16th. I expect you will be able to get a bus quite easily.

The Ferry is not bookable, there are plenty of private boats for hire and touts will be everywhere.

Edited by jacko
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys.. First timer here!

I'm currently in Pattaya to do some Muay Thai training (& getting my ass whipped! No, not literatly!)

I will be heading back to Bangkok around the 1st Oct with my big backpack.. I have been reading through the threads, and although the cheap minivan prices are attractive, it seems i will be squished with my b.pack.. Does anybody have any suggestions? I took a 200baht minivan here from Khao San Road Bangkok where they had space saved for all of our packs since we're all backpackers..

Also I'm thinking while i'm here to accompany my scooter to Kho Samet! Seems like an fun & easy hours drive.. Can i take the scooter on the ferry? Any idea on costs? If not, is it safe to park it somewhere at the ports? (i might stay 1 or 2 days there if its enjoyable)..

Would appreciate any info :)

Regards,

Ciska

Hey guys.. First timer here!

I'm currently in Pattaya to do some Muay Thai training (& getting my ass whipped! No, not literatly!)

I will be heading back to Bangkok around the 1st Oct with my big backpack.. I have been reading through the threads, and although the cheap minivan prices are attractive, it seems i will be squished with my b.pack.. Does anybody have any suggestions? I took a 200baht minivan here from Khao San Road Bangkok where they had space saved for all of our packs since we're all backpackers..

Also I'm thinking while i'm here to accompany my scooter to Kho Samet! Seems like an fun & easy hours drive.. Can i take the scooter on the ferry? Any idea on costs? If not, is it safe to park it somewhere at the ports? (i might stay 1 or 2 days there if its enjoyable)..

Would appreciate any info :)

Regards,

Ciska

It isn't much more to use the Rung Ruen bus station on North Rd. Buses to Ekamai (Sukhumvit) or Moe Chit. They are full sized coaches and backpacks can go underneath.