Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

You wouldn't think that if you saw the electric bill I just got! :D

What is the rate per Kilo Watt Hour (KWH) in Pattaya? In the US the typical rate is $0.10/KWH.

What is the rate per Kilo Watt Hour (KWH) in Pattaya? In the US the typical rate is $0.10/KWH.

Mine averaged out (it is a tiered price structure) at about 4.5 baht per unit including a bit of tax. That makes Thailand 50% more expensive. But as I said it is tiered and if you are a higher level consumer those extra units are at a higher price. I use about 600 units/month.

Here in socal rates are tiered and start at about 14.3c/kwH, and top out at just under 30c/kwh. And the rate schedule changes about every 3 mos. (This last is only as of September.)

Looking at my Electricity Bill for comparison.......

First 182 units charged at 29.55 Pence/kWh (inclusive of Value Added Tax @ 5%) (14.48 Baht/kWh)

Day units - 15.81 Pence/kWh (inc. V.A.T.) ( 7.75 Baht/kWh)

Night units - 7.31 Pence/kWh (inc. V.A.T.) ( 3.58 Baht/kWh)

Over a 49 day period I used 182 units @ 29.55 = £53.78 (182 x 14.48 = 2635.36 Baht)

2 units @ 15.81 = £ 0.32 ( 2 x 7.75 = 15.5 Baht)

135 units @ 7.31 = £ 9.87 (135 x 3.58 = 483.3 Baht)

Total £63.97 (3134 Baht)

So about £1.30/Day (64 Baht/Day). This is my Autumn Bill for a 1 Bedroom Apartment with no heating (Electric) switched on. Now it's Winter and the heating is switched on, I guess the bill will be trebled.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off renting in England paying heating bill or renting in Thailand paying aircon bill.

I see Jacko's bill is @ 2700 Baht/Month compared to my 1920 Baht/Month but Jacko lives in a mansion and has 4 aircon units blowing 24/7 :lsmile

Fucking Hell my average is 9.8 Baht/Unit compared to Jacko's 4.5 Baht/Unit. More than double. Rip off Britain.

Edited by papillon

I think the Thai people have the right idea, if you can stand it. No aircon, just a ceiling fan. There's no real need to heat in the winter, and no real reason they need aircon the rest of the year. Many parts of the world don't have that kind of weather.

Here in the states it's Fall. Not really too cold. And yet just the other day I paid an electric bill of $321. I'm sure that by Jan/Feb, it'll be up in the $800 range. Such a waste.

Here in the states it's Fall. Not really too cold. And yet just the other day I paid an electric bill of $321. I'm sure that by Jan/Feb, it'll be up in the $800 range. Such a waste.

Wow! Your rate for electricity is either very high or you are using a monstor amount of electricity. I just paid about $150 for the last month and my bill is a bit high for my area probably because I need to run a pool pump every day. Do you have electric heat? By the way I am in the states as well.

Wow! Your rate for electricity is either very high or you are using a monstor amount of electricity. I just paid about $150 for the last month and my bill is a bit high for my area probably because I need to run a pool pump every day. Do you have electric heat? By the way I am in the states as well.

It's a big house and everything is electric, including the heat. Hopefully, I'll be out of here some day soon.

Electricity demand is always highest with everyone using aircon rather than heating with it. 'The states' is rather vague as it's a pretty big country. Where I grew up we never even had aircon and where I live now sometimes we have heat on in the morning and aircon on in the afternoon.

Edited by steamer

Electricity demand is always highest with everyone using aircon rather than heating with it. 'The states' is rather vague as it's a pretty big country. Where I grew up we never even had aircon and where I live now sometimes we have heat on in the morning and aircon on in the afternoon.

I'm now in the Midwest, but I've lived all over. The cheapest utility bills I ever had was in San Diego, at the beach. No need for air conditioning and heat only once in a while in the winter.

What is the rate per Kilo Watt Hour (KWH) in Pattaya?

Rate for me in a condo:

Nearly 3.8 baht/unit for a consumption of ~120 units/months

That make about 400-450 baht/month for a 100 sqm condo

Rate for me in a condo:

???? In the VT2 I pay around 5-6 baht / unit.... renters charges 7 baht...

As you are an owner, why don't you pay direct to the electricity company? It's what I do.

I pay for the electric company... Checked it.... I pay 4.2 baht / unit....I never checked it before, just saw how much mymates pays when they rent.... However, my last bill was almost 1500 baht and I rarely use the air con....

I pay 4.2 baht / unit....

Ok. 4.2 far better than 5-6 you said above ;)

The unit price go up when you use more units. 4.2 is still a good price.

I don't need to use air-con a lot during the day, must be really hot outside. My condo is a high floor facing the sea and I nearly always have some "fresh" air.

I choose comfort for the night though and usually have air-con running all night in my bedroom. A good inverter air-con 9000 BTU; doesn't need to work a lot and consumes nearly nothing :smile:

Big TVs can consume a lot, but mine is barely used 1 hour/day average... ;)

The washing-machine, fridge and my computers/monitors must be the main spenders.

Best thing I ever did was install a heat pump. Its almost free because I use so little power with it and have almost levelled out the winter and summer acccounts. Every room also has energy saver lamps and because of all of this have little variation season to season.

Rate for me in a condo:

3.8 Baht/unit is the 'average rate' set by the Government.

Ok. 4.2 far better than 5-6 you said above ;)

The unit price go up when you use more units. 4.2 is still a good price.

I don't need to use air-con a lot during the day, must be really hot outside. My condo is a high floor facing the sea and I nearly always have some "fresh" air.

I choose comfort for the night though and usually have air-con running all night in my bedroom. A good inverter air-con 9000 BTU; doesn't need to work a lot and consumes nearly nothing :smile:

Big TVs can consume a lot, but mine is barely used 1 hour/day average... ;)

The washing-machine, fridge and my computers/monitors must be the main spenders.

i use 1 units....

However a question for you, what size of the condo you use the 9000 BTU air con ? I was thinking to change my recent air con ( no idea how much BTU no any sign on it ) and for my 42 sqm in the shops offered me 12.000 up to 40.000 ( ! ) BTU.... I can't get a real answer....

The air-con power question ! Must be as difficult as the fair price for a BG ;)

I think that many places have way over-sized air-cons. The only advantage that I see to a strong air-con is that if you arrive in your room after days of very hot sun outside you will get a comfortable temperature more quickly, but it's so rare! In real life and even in hot season (April) I don't think my air-con take more than 10 minutes to make the job. After that I read/hear many time that a strong air-con turning at very very low regime is not good... The opposite too: a small 9000 BTU for a big apartment in full sun would make it turn 100% long time... with risk of ice blocking it and surely a short life...

Condos like VT2 and many may not be too beautiful from outside, but at least rooms protects themselves from the heat together. Except if you are in a side or corner, and except if you want 18°C all time in your room, 12 or 18.000 BTU should be enough for a 40 sqm place. 40k way too big!

I have a 9000 for my 15 sqm bedroom and it really has few work to keep 26°C during the night. No window. Set it stronger just for "bedroom sports" . (old one was a 15000 and the bedroom smaller!).

I have a 9000 for my 30 sqm quiet area (work, reading, computers) set on 27°C. 1 window + 1 large window to terrace. Use it mainly during hot afternoons. (old one was a 18.000...)

I have an old 15.000 for the main 50 sqm area. 1 window + 1 large window to terrace. Used slow when looking movies at night or strong to cool down the place when I arrive in the afternoon.

Nota: I most of time use only 1 air-con at a time, depending of what I do and where I stay in the condo.

In hot season if sun is too strong in the terrace windows, I put a curtain on the outside to protect the window from the heat.

The two 9000 models are from this year. Old ones were really old and noisy. I choose 9000 because the smaller they had. I choose a model with inverter. More expensive, but what a comfort!, and no more noisy "Klang!" every time the air-con restart, even during the night... ;)

I am very happy with my new small air-cons :smile:

PS: When I said "The unit price go up when you use more units" I was talking of electric units, aka kWh, not number of air-cons ;). The more you consume electric, the more expensive the kWh are.

I pay for the electric company... Checked it.... I pay 4.2 baht / unit....I never checked it before, just saw how much mymates pays when they rent.... However, my last bill was almost 1500 baht and I rarely use the air con....

It is a tiered charging rate.... but 1500 baht/month seems a lot for a condo if you rarely use the AC. What big - consumption items do you have, Electric Oven, large plug in vibrator? :D As I said mine averages out at 4.5baht/unit so your number sounds okay.

It is a tiered charging rate.... but 1500 baht/month seems a lot for a condo if you rarely use the AC. What big - consumption items do you have, Electric Oven, large plug in vibrator? :D As I said mine averages out at 4.5baht/unit so your number sounds okay.

Maybe the computer and the music tower works 24/7....

Maybe the computer and the music tower works 24/7....

Well maybe this week as I hear you are staying in getting over the 'bug'.......

You have to watch these condos.....sometimes the power outlets on a 'shared' wall can be wired to the wrong meter. :D Cheaper to jumper the sockets on each side together than run separate wires!

Well maybe this week as I hear you are staying in getting over the 'bug'.......

You have to watch these condos.....sometimes the power outlets on a 'shared' wall can be wired to the wrong meter. :D Cheaper to jumper the sockets on each side together than run separate wires!

I wonder how often that happens? You buy a condo and somehow you end up paying for your electricity as well as the next door neighbors? I once had an apartment that was part of a two story house. The owner was apparently too cheap to meter each apartment for the gas water heaters and I was getting free hot water (I didn't know). But somehow, the guy who was paying the bill found out and he went nuts and had the whole thing disconnected. They finally sorted it out, but for a few days, I had no hot water.