Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Air cons on most of the day. a big one in the living room and then in the bed room. I put them at 17-18C and let it ride. I get cold sometimes at night but then I get closer to my 'TGF'

The bill each month is less than ฿2500. It works well for me.

I'm never hot in this house.

Edited by 9cisco999

Air cons on most of the day // I put them at 17-18°C and let it ride.

Sorry but why ?

Because you want to continue to wear the big cozy sweaters and pullovers you bring back from farangland? ;)

Many people or organizations consider 24-25°C to be the comfort temperature in tropical areas.

17°C is very cold (for here). You need to put clothes. You spend energy for nothing.

And you get a big thermal shock every-time you exit from your room...

A strange choice :clueless

Sorry but why ?

Because you want to continue to wear the big cozy sweaters and pullovers you bring back from farangland? ;)

Many people or organizations consider 24-25°C to be the comfort temperature in tropical areas.

17°C is very cold (for here). You need to put clothes. You spend energy for nothing.

When I use the air con I calibrate it to 29 celsius and on the " dry " mode, not on the cooling... What is the most annoying for me is the humidity, not the temperature... in Pattaya no extreme high temperature, just the high humidity... In the result I have 27-28 celsius with dry air... the most comfortable choice for me...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

In my neck of the woods we try to select a size of AC unit that will be running enough to keep the humidity down in the house which makes it feel even hotter. Standard practice is to leave it switched on all the time and let the thermostat do the temperature regulation.

Now to answers Idefx's question, why set it to 18C. Well, to see the titties pop up.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a tiered charging rate.... but 1500 baht/month seems a lot for a condo if you rarely use the AC. What big - consumption items do you have, Electric Oven, large plug in vibrator? :D As I said mine averages out at 4.5baht/unit so your number sounds okay.

I've just looked at a recent bill and am paying 4.02 baht per unit. I have 2 units and rarely use my aircon. I have 2 rooms and my bill is usually just under 1,000 baht and a bit over 1,000 baht in the hot season when I do use the aircon a bit more.

Alan

Just got December's bill, (and likely a few other neighbour's looking at the amount)......4.5 baht/unit.......745 units.

It is reaching about 34 degC here and if I am at the house in the afternoon I retreat into AC! Even ran the one in the lounge one evening....the beast!

Oh yeah,the pool boy left my pump control in 'hand' and it was the following evening before I noticed. Water is well cleaned, as is my wallet!

Have to start sitting in the mall with the other sad fucks.

Paradise don't come cheap!

Edited by jacko

Sorry but why ?

You are right about the temperature. I have lived in the tropics for most of my life and most air con manufacturers recommend 25 degrees C and also warn people not to let the air blow directly onto their bodies for long periods. I only turn the air cons on on humid days half an hour before going to sleep and then use the ceiling fans at slow speed only. Otherwise, air cons are can be useful when having sport with the missus or the GF on a hot day.

My last bill was 1,700 baht.Only use aircon in one bedroom,if its realy hot but ceiling fans and movable fans seem to keep us cool.3 of us showering at least 3 days a day each,and pc on 24/7,so not too bad for a 2 bedroom bungalow.Also i have 2 security lights on all night so not bad realy

The electric rate in most apartments and some condos is determined by the management. The normal rate is around 4 baht per KWH and I have seen places that up the rate anywhere from 5 baht to 10 baht per KWH. You should always check the rate you are going to get when renting a new place.

Our house in the boonies has air conditioning in the bedroom and fans in every other room. We do have two refrigerators, a big one and a small one plus a water pump. Even during the hot season, the air in the bedroom is seldom needed or used. Loei has the dubious reputation as the coldest province in Thailand. The bill at the house is seldom over 1,100 baht per month. My condo has two air con units. The bill comes directly from the electric company and since Jomtien is hotter than Loei, the bill usually is a little higher, maybe 1,200 - 1,300 per month, because the air is used much more. The bedroom unit is used quite often but the main unit is seldom used.