Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe the street vendors sell pork scratchings (deep-fried pork rinds) rather than crackling.   It's a rather complicated process to make traditional British crackling. My mom was from the U.K.

Some recent meals:     Sunday roast at the Punch and Judy Pub. I should have turned the plate as you can hardly see the meat (three kinds, beef, pork, lamb). It was probably the best British-st

I've had several really good Sunday meals at Punch & Judy's, but I hadn't been there since late January and was concerned in light of some recent reports about a decline in quality. Here's the "tr

Posted Images

I had a very good meal at My Way, a Dutch restaurant in the shopping arcade on 2nd road that is across the street from Mike's Mall and runs parallel to Soi Diana.

IMG_3555.jpg

I had a bowl of Dutch-style tomato soup as a starter. Very tasty!

IMG_35492.jpg

The main course was a 180-gram filet mignon wrapped in bacon and with mushroom sauce. Mashed potatoes and a small green salad were the sides. The beef was excellent, tender and cooked the way I ordered it.

1.jpg

The filet mignon cost 305 baht and the whole meal - starter, main course, a SM Light and tip - set me back 500 baht. I'll definitely return.

Evil

• Upvote 2

where is punch and judy pub?

It's in Jomtien off Thepprasit Road. From the Punch and Judy website:

"The Punch and Judy is located between Pattaya 3rd Road and Thepprasit Soi 8. 62/191 soi 8 moo 10, nongprue banglamung, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand."

You can find a map here: http://punchandjudy.co.th/location/

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, no! That' possible one thing you can't get outside the U.K.

Evil

You can buy Crackling from street vendor almost 24 hours a day in Pattaya. Any time there is a roasted pig at a party you can get it too.

You can buy Crackling from street vendor almost 24 hours a day in Pattaya.

That is deep fried, not roasted.

Crackling has a light crispy outside with soft fat and meat on the inside...

Ate at the 'My Way' restaurant last night and I can concur with Evil. The food was really good, service was very friendly and efficient. The 2 of us could not finish our meals and with beer came to 780 bht.

Along with Evil I highly recommend this place as a top notch eatery

I had a very good meal at My Way, a Dutch restaurant in the shopping arcade on 2nd road that is across the street from Mike's Mall and runs parallel to Soi Diana.

attachicon.gifIMG_3555.jpg

I had a bowl of Dutch-style tomato soup as a starter. Very tasty!

attachicon.gifIMG_35492.jpg

The main course was a 180-gram filet mignon wrapped in bacon and with mushroom sauce. Mashed potatoes and a small green salad were the sides. The beef was excellent, tender and cooked the way I ordered it.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

The filet mignon cost 305 baht and the whole meal - starter, main course, a SM Light and tip - set me back 500 baht. I'll definitely return.

Evil

I went there for my semi-annual steak last night and was quite pleased. Many thanks to EP. Even if I had walked down that arcade, would never have gone in otherwise.

I've walked past 'My Way' on many occasions, but never entered.

Even if I had walked down that arcade, would never have gone in otherwise.

My situation was the same until last week, when I was "introduced" to My Way by a poster on another board. I'd been past it dozens of times, but never thought to go in. I literally didn't know what I was missing, since its food is far superior to what you get at Kiss.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

I believe the street vendors sell pork scratchings (deep-fried pork rinds) rather than crackling.

It's a rather complicated process to make traditional British crackling. My mom was from the U.K. and I remember how she did it. The outer layer of fat had to be dried, then scored and salted. The roast would go into the oven at maximum temperature for 30 minutes, then a hour or more (depending on size) at a much lower temperature. The last fifteen minutes would be at max heat again, with the broiler used for the final couple of minutes.

Evil

Some pics lifted from the Internet to illustrate:

attachicon.gifroastporkwithcrackli_67344_16x9.jpg

attachicon.gifcrackling.jpg

attachicon.gifcrackling2.jpg

I stand corrected never tried to cook them but my mother made ones that tasted more like Scratchings, they were cooked in the oven and not deep fried.

Had a very good meal at the street restaurant next to Sapphire (the go go) on Soi 15. The steam fish with lime was fantastic, with a great broth. The grilled octopus was also excellent, as was the pork dish. A friend had a plate of fried rice with seafood that he thought was fine, too (I didn't take a photo). Total cost for three people (four dishes, but we only drank water)was 890 baht (the steamed fish was 300 baht).

Evil

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
I've had several really good Sunday meals at Punch & Judy's, but I hadn't been there since late January and was concerned in light of some recent reports about a decline in quality. Here's the "trio of meats" (lamb, pork, beef) roast dinner I got there yesterday:

Image-Flat-4.jpg

IMG_3894.JPG

In comparison, a couple of photos I posted from earlier meals:

post-6485-0-70528900-1356939951.jpg

post-6485-0-81789900-1354597767.jpg

Sad to say, yesterday's meal wasn't as tasty as the earlier ones. Nothing really wrong with it, just not as flavorful. It does seem the standard has slipped a bit. I had a wait of about 30 minutes for my meal, which wasn't that bad considering how many people were in the restaurant. The cost was the same - 295 baht.

I'll give the Sunday roast at P&J another try, but I won't be rushing back. For me, it's a bit of hassle to get there and the effort doesn't justify the reward. I'm happy to make the effort for an outstanding meal, but not for a so-so one.

Evil

• Upvote 4

One of my favourite places was the Thai "food court" on Klang just 400 meters east of second road on the north side

A friend and I would sit and order from the kitchen at the south west corner and we were always impressed.

Sadly, the old proprietors are no longer serving their food and not only has the quality taken a step backwards but the new owners have seen fit to raise the prices as well.

Edited by steamer

But the beef is as good as ever at On My Way! I really like that when I order "medium rare," that's how it's cooked.

IMG_3750.jpg

Beef with oyster sauce. A basic dish, but a favorite of mine when done well. The guy at the "Govinda" street eatery on Soi 15 (off WS, between the Sapphire and Beach go gos) really knows how to cook. The beef was very tasty.

Image-Flat-10.jpg

Image-Flat-11.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the heads up on the tucker Evil, I can tell straight away if MSG is in the mix as I start scratching like and old flea bag dog

I was in Chang Mai years ago and the Thai rice with a Chinese type sausage was mouth watering.

The little restaurant me and a couple mates have at the hotel here in Sumbawa, the most popular dish is chicken and cashew, everyone asks for it

Hi Evil is "Filet Mignon" not pork?

Filet mignon (French for "cute fillet" or "dainty fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of the beef carcass, usually a steer or heifer.

From http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=US&ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=filetmignon#itp=open0

Sent from the mostly bugfree Tapatalk app for Android.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Hong Kong for a few days. Dinner the first night at a street eatery in the Temple Street night market. A few simple dishes but they tasted good. Mostly local residents, but a few gwai lo (foreign devils).

post-6485-0-81464400-1368876925.jpg

post-6485-0-20664400-1368876920.jpg

post-6485-0-66934800-1368876930.jpg

post-6485-0-87433000-1368876922.jpg

post-6485-0-26485600-1368876928.jpg

My breakfast:

post-6485-0-93668300-1368877229.jpg

And hers:

post-6485-0-57265300-1368877232.jpg

Noodle soup with pork for me in a hole-in-the-wall place at the Ladies Market:

post-6485-0-24754900-1368877235.jpg

She had steamed pork: