Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

The Deluxe Burger at Dicey Reilly's:

attachicon.gifIMG_9621.jpg

It consists of a thick patty of meat, cheese, bacon, tomato, onions and lettuce, topped with a fried egg. Fried mushrooms, french fries and a tiny dab of coleslaw come with it. The cost was 360 baht.

attachicon.gifIMG_9623.jpg

The patty was grilled nicely and the bun was properly toasted. In all, a good burger and a filling meal.

Evil

:devil

They should re-name that burger "The WidowMaker...or "The Coronary".... Don't eat too many of those Evil or I fear we won't be reading many reviews in the future.

It does look good though...:)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe the street vendors sell pork scratchings (deep-fried pork rinds) rather than crackling.   It's a rather complicated process to make traditional British crackling. My mom was from the U.K.

Some recent meals:     Sunday roast at the Punch and Judy Pub. I should have turned the plate as you can hardly see the meat (three kinds, beef, pork, lamb). It was probably the best British-st

I've had several really good Sunday meals at Punch & Judy's, but I hadn't been there since late January and was concerned in light of some recent reports about a decline in quality. Here's the "tr

Posted Images

Don't eat too many of those Evil or I fear we won't be reading many reviews in the future.

It does look good though...:)

I don't eat many hamburgers in Pattaya. It's a once-a-month treat at most.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Sunday roast at Punch and Judy (info on location here, it's hard to explain). I had the New Zealand lamb, a friend had the roast chicken, other friends had the "trio of meats" option (beef, pork, lamb).

It was an excellent meal. You can't see it well in the pic, but there were a lot of vegetables included: broccoli, cauliflower, beans, cabbage and both roast and mashed potatoes. The lamb, Yorkshire pudding and gravy were all delicious. And an excellent Irish coffee for me to end the meal! The lamb cost 310 baht, a Happy Hour SML was 80 baht and the Irish coffee 150 baht.

Evil

My lamb:

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

A friend's chicken:

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

His wife's Thai food:

IMG_9764.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

This wasn't a meal in Pattaya, but nevertheless a good one. I had the braised leg of lamb and side salad at Eamonn's, an Irish-style pub and restaurant on 45th St (between 5th Ave and Madison) in mid-town Manhattan. Eamonn's is a popular bar/restaurant, directly behind Grand Central Station. The afternoon we ate there, it was packed with people watching the Germany-Portugal match. The only two tables available were at the extreme front of the house, with no view of the TVs.

It's interesting to compare costs. This meal, a generous portion of good quality lamb and salad, cost the equivalent of 575 baht at an NYC establishment with a top location. Sides of potato or rice were available at extra cost. A lot of health-aware diners don't have a starch for lunch.

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

IMG_9891.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Downtown NYC lamb and salad price is quite close to Pattaya prices. Ye gads!''

BTW, It's surprising to see the misspelled Nigeria in the midst off all those correctly spelled menu items.

post-9139-0-02123100-1403069184.jpg

• Upvote 1

This report really belongs in a thread titled, "Not quite so good meals," but with that proviso, I'll post it in this one.

I had osso bucco (veal shanks and vegetabes braised in white wine and broth) at Patrick's last night. It was the modern version with tomatoes, which the original Milanese speciality didn't have. Osso Bucco was the daily special at Patrick's (in the arcade off 2nd Road across from Mike's Mall) and cost 300 baht.

post-6485-0-68297900-1403632387.jpg

post-6485-0-77617500-1403632394.jpg

It was OK, but the sauce could have been tangier with a bit more flavor. It was served without gremolata, the traditional accompaniment. Gremolata is both a garnish and a condiment. It's made from chopped flat parsley, minced garlic and lemon zest. It enhances the flavor of osso bucco and without it, you can't help thinking "something is missing."

post-6485-0-76196600-1403632389.jpg

The meat had been simmered to the proper "fall-off-the bone" stage; the carrots were, however, overcooked. Maybe some of theother vegetables had also cooked too long, which could explain the thickness and viscosity of the sauce. Unfortunately, the sauce still had small pieces of bay leaf, something I always find irritating as there's no elegant way of getting them out of your mouth.

post-6485-0-91837000-1403632390.jpg

The mashed potatoes were nice and seasoned with nutmeg, which I love. The small portion of salad on the plate would have been better with a vinaigrette dressing.

post-6485-0-33236200-1403632383.jpg

post-6485-0-33833200-1403632381.jpg

The complimentary dish of Asian shrimp crackers before the meal was a nice gesture, but a peculiar choice for restaurant that's centered on Western food.

Bottom line: Not a bad meal, but not a great one, either. I doubt I'll have the osso bucco again at Patrick's, but I may be back to try other dishes.

post-6485-0-25353000-1403632392.jpg

post-6485-0-54013500-1403632393.jpg

As a side note, Patrick's didn't have many diners when I was there Monday night. From what I could see, Beefeaters (directly across the arcade) was busy, with the outdoor section almost full.
post-6485-0-17811400-1403632400.jpg

post-6485-0-98040200-1403632395.jpg

But low season may have kicked in, as even Kiss was short of customers.

post-6485-0-75495600-1403632430.jpg

post-6485-0-54337900-1403632429.jpg

Evil
devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Was at Patrick's two months ago and agree with you on the lack of taste (I had beef stroganoff). Very tender beef but no flavour nor noodles. Salad was smothered in Thousand Island dressing (poor choice on their part). Crackers seemed odd too. The waitstaff made sure that it's a place that I'll give a miss to for quite some time. It aint one of the cheaper places around but it was busy which I can't say the same about many places.

When I lived at the LK Metropole (for 3 1/2 years), I ate at Patrick's once.

I had Beef Bourguignon, and it was very disappointing.

I never felt the desire to go back, especially with Beefeater so close by.

What time of day did you take those photos Evil , the arcade looks dead and its usually quite busy......!

About 10 pm.

Evil

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

Another good meal at the Punch and Judy. It wasn't much different from the meal I described in post #103, but it's reassuring the quality hasn't slipped.

Sunday roast special at 310 baht, with SML at 80 b. I chose the lamb, but other meat options (beef, pork, chicken) were available.

IMG_7883.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

For more info, including the location, check out post #103.

I also had a good meal at Tequila Reef. The East LA burrito was about a foot long and very tasty. It was the Thursday special at 225 baht.

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7849.jpg

My friend had two tacos.

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg

More info on Tequila Reef can be found in post #43.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Evil, a nice, honest report. The lamb looks nicely cooked, a slight pink hue in the middle. Good to see some venues maintain consistent quality over time.

I've never had a bad meal in Tequila Reef, nor a bad Margarita for that matter.

Went to Tequila Reef last night with some friends after reading EP's review and subsequent comments here an on Facebook. I had avoided the place for years due to some negative reports as well as a couple of visits for their Thanksgiving buffet and a Superbowl Sunday morning. I do not recommend the buffets based on my experiences.

However, last night was great fun, the margaritas were very powerful, the food was good, and the service was excellent. I'll be going again.

The attached photos are reverse chronological order..the bill was the last thing we saw...

2014-11-02 21.28.00.jpg

2014-11-02 21.12.36.jpg

2014-11-02 20.19.20.jpg

2014-11-02 20.18.00.jpg

2014-11-02 20.17.56.jpg

2014-11-02 20.15.23.jpg

2014-11-02 20.15.17.jpg

2014-11-02 20.15.11.jpg

2014-11-02 20.15.06.jpg

2014-11-02 20.15.01.jpg

2014-11-02 19.50.49.jpg

2014-11-02 19.50.23.jpg

2014-11-02 19.50.16.jpg

2014-11-02 19.50.11.jpg

• 2 months later...

A simple meal but a good one: minced beef over mashed potatoes at Every Day is Fry Day at New Plaza. It cost a very modest 130 baht.

IMG_9707.jpg

The mashed potatoes were good and to my taste buds, freshly made. The mince was a bit bland, but that's the way some people like it and it was certainly no problem to give it a few splashes of Worcestershire Sauce to liven it up.

IMG_9708.jpg

The could have been improved by browning the onions slightly and frying them together with the beef before the liquid was added, but it was nevertheless an Ok dish. I'll be back to have it again, as mince over mash is a nostalgic favorite of mine, taking me back to elementary school cafeteria meals as well as lunches made by both my grandmothers.

IMG_9709.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 4
  • 5 months later...

Late night supper at Secrets he other night: bacon, brie and cranberry sandwich. Good combination of flavors, sort of like brie en croute except on a baguette. I wish the cranberry component had been more pronounced. It cost 229 baht, which isn't cheap, but the brie and bacon were high quality.

post-6485-0-94456000-1436798743.jpg

post-6485-0-44197100-1436798748.jpg

post-6485-0-17865200-1436798730.jpg

post-6485-0-81908500-1436798737.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A simple meal but a good one: minced beef over mashed potatoes at Every Day is Fry Day at New Plaza. It cost a very modest 130 baht.

attachicon.gifIMG_9707.jpg

The mashed potatoes were good and to my taste buds, freshly made. The mince was a bit bland, but that's the way some people like it and it was certainly no problem to give it a few splashes of Worcestershire Sauce to liven it up.

attachicon.gifIMG_9708.jpg

The could have been improved by browning the onions slightly and frying them together with the beef before the liquid was added, but it was nevertheless an Ok dish. I'll be back to have it again, as mince over mash is a nostalgic favorite of mine, taking me back to elementary school cafeteria meals as well as lunches made by both my grandmothers.

attachicon.gifIMG_9709.jpg

Evil

Wow, this is like the photographic definition of comfort food. Thanks a million, EP. I must try this next time I'm in town.

Edited to add: Out of curiosity, have you tried their cod and chips?

Edited by Harvey

Wow, this is like the photographic definition of comfort food. Thanks a million, EP. I must try this next time I'm in town.

Edited to add: Out of curiosity, have you tried their cod and chips?

I have and the meal is delicious.

He has a cheaper (99 baht) F&C, but for a bit more (140b?) the cod is the best choice.

When I lived at the LK Metropole (for 3 1/2 years), I ate at Patrick's once.

I had Beef Bourguignon, and it was very disappointing.

I never felt the desire to go back, especially with Beefeater so close by.

I always eat once a week at Beefeater when I am there. The owner is a great Chef. I have not been disappointed yet there.

Are there any similar restaurants you would recommend?

How are some of their other offerings?

Their fries look great too on your plate.

How is the tarter sauce?

Fries were excellent.

The sauce was very nice..ate it all. Not sure if it was tartar sauce, since it was very mild.

I always eat once a week at Beefeater when I am there. The owner is a great Chef. I have not been disappointed yet there.

Are there any similar restaurants you would recommend?

You might try Steak & Co. On Soi Lengkee for similar fare.

Fries were excellent.

The sauce was very nice..ate it all. Not sure if it was tartar sauce, since it was very mild.

Probably right up my alley since I am used to store bought sauce here

You might try Steak & Co. On Soi Lengkee for similar fare.

I shall. I have never eaten there and I will be staying close by!

Thanks!

Do you reckon the "Blue Grenadier" (hoki) is a local fish. I have a thing about fresh fish, rather than frozen cod flown around the world, but cooked in the battered style. I used to like the parrot fish, but don't seem able to find it any more.