Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya Beer Garden........RIP

Last year I spent almost every morning enjoying breakfast sitting over the ocean and chilling with up to 12 friends. Their service was great, food was great and just a joy every morning to spend an hour or so there.

Sadly to report that after two mornings there, I will NOT be returning or making any reccomendation to anyone to eat there.

The big breakfast I had yesterday was at the best 5/10, eggs over cooked, hash brown oily and the extra serve of bacon I ordered was not the same as the serve on the main plate. If you ask for extra bacon, surely you would expect more of the same bacon in the main meal. The main meal came with 2 pieces of middle cut bacon and the extra bacon was streaky bacon. The toast was cold, two pieces but one butter and one jam!!!!

I put it down to maybe being my first brekkie in Pattaya, not remembering the quality of food is not the same as home and also remembered later that on past visits I often had the roast beef baguette which was something to rave about.

So this morning I ordered the roast beef baguette, comes with fries and coleslaw. My lady friend had her thai meal served in about ten minutes, she said she will wait and I said dont be silly, start eating as mine should be out soon. Another ten minutes pass and she askes the waitress about my meal and was told not long, five more minutes.

When it did finally arrive, the first thing I noticed was no fries, but wedges instead, I was dissapointed as I am not a wedges person normally but was so hungry popped a few in my mouth. I must admit they were very good and to find out soon the best part of the meal.

The next thing I noticed was it was not a baguette like last year but a cut in half french stick that had been toasted. I took the top bread off and could see it was dry and when I pinched it to feel the freshness, it just crumbled like fine sand between my fingers. I just put it to the side of the plate. I picked up the roast beef off the roll and it looked thick cut and dry and this was the case when I tasted it. Last year the beef was moist, cut thin on a slicer like you would buy from the deli and a joy to eat. This year it looked like it was home cooked, cut thick from the joint and then left in the fridge, uncovered for a few days until it was just dry.

I did not eat the beef, the roll, the coleslaw that was a poor excuse, the only thing I ate was the piece of cheese and a few pieces of pickles.

When the waitress come over to clear the table, I told her quite clearly the food was shit, tasted dry and even showed her how the bread roll crumbled like sand it was so dry. She shrugged her shoulders and said I know its bad, sorry but we have a new cook.

No attempt to replace the food, refund the food or anything else.

SHAME SHAME SHAME Pattaya Pete as I know how hard you worked at building your business and to see it all pissed away because you hire bad cooks............................well my feet have done the talking

12 people for breakfast @ 200 baht per head is 2400 baht x 20 days is 48,000 baht in lost business from one customer.

Sad how things change so quickly

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in here last night around 9. Pretty well packed. Some seats at the bar, but every table taken. Small group I was with ordered a variety of things: maybe nothing to write home about, but tasty & more than acceptable. Service was excellent: friendly, attentive, prompt, accurate. Portions were more or less as expected. Perhaps a whole different scene at breakfast time. ?

Only two of us today, the rest of our group arrives tomorrow night.

Mt lady friends thai meal was ok, but the American at the next table was very upset when half his meal came out and he said he did not want cold food to eat by the time the rest came out so sent the first half back to the kitchen. The waitress looked confused......hhahahahhahaha

I bet his meal went back to the kitchen, sat there in the kitchen getting cold until his last dish was made..................TIT

I have always enjoyed Pattaya Beer Garden and it is one of the first places i want to visit upon my return to Pattaya in February.

The last time I was there was during some holiday where alcohol was not served, but I wanted food. My order was for a cheesburger and french fries, rare with cooked onions,. After waiting about 20 minutes the waitress came back and said that they don't have. I was confused because other patrons were getting cheesburgers which is why I ordered one. I asked what do they have, she pointed the order ticket cheeseburger (have) french fries (have), onions (have) rare: Not have My final order: Cheeseburger, medium with cooked onions, make cheese burger red inside. It was cooked just to my liking. The beer bar outside of the beer garden gave me a beer in a large paper cup.

Why do folks slag off PBG on PT without talking face-to-face with Pete? I have never known the guy to not respond to constructive criticism.

Yep, second that. It would be a shame if you boycotted PBG owing to this issue - I'm sure Pete will put it right for you and explain.

Why do folks slag off PBG on PT without talking face-to-face with Pete? I have never known the guy to not respond to constructive criticism.

I am only giving you my opinion, to be honest why would I pm after the event, if it cant be fixed on the spot, then what is the point.

I truely loved the place, but I am just pointing out that the breakfast service and cook is so below par its a joke and such a shame.

I hope he fires the cook, employes a new chef and fixes it up and I will have no problems returning

cheers

Rodney

It is not on Grimble to hunt Pete down. Quality control is Pete's responisibility and quite frankly that is his biggest weekness.

Being an American I like iced tea but I hate the lipton crap in a can. Pete told me that PBG served iced tea but when asked how they made it, his reply was that he didn't know. How are you supposed to do quality control like that?

It is not on Grimble to hunt Pete down. Quality control is Pete's responisibility and quite frankly that is his biggest weekness.

Being an American I like iced tea but I hate the lipton crap in a can. Pete told me that PBG served iced tea but when asked how they made it, his reply was that he didn't know. How are you supposed to do quality control like that?

I don't know.

can,t please everyone and always best name and shame after all fails. pity you did,nt discuss this with pete. i,m sure he would have refunded money back if not satisfied

I am guessing he wasn't there at the time.

I wouldn't consider the PBG as a breakfast place. I am also sure it is difficult to get good staff here, and they have a penchant for just not turning up when they don't feel like it. They also don't react well to criticism. I don't envy Pete trying to run this business, bad reputation comes instantly and good has to be built up slowly.

Every now and again a bad report for PBG comes in and Pattaya Pete gets back to herding cats.

Edited by jacko

"No attempt to replace the food, refund the food or anything else."

I wouldn't expect the waitress to do anything about it, its not the thai way to make problems or to criticise the work of other staff. They just hope you will go away and stop bothering them.

I believe Pete has a manager on duty at all times as he cannot be there 24/7. You shouldn't need to if the place is run right and the staff will make the right decisions, but it would have paid to ask to speak to the manager directly.

I wouldn't expect the waitress to do anything about it, its not the thai way to make problems or to criticise the work of other staff. They just hope you will go away and stop bothering them.

I believe Pete has a manager on duty at all times as he cannot be there 24/7. You shouldn't need to if the place is run right and the staff will make the right decisions, but it would have paid to ask to speak to the manager directly.

They have replaced a meal for me and another time they just removed the charge from my bin.

Agreed, not the usual Thai approach.

Edited by steamer

I did say to the waitress to inform the manager I was not happy!!!!

I did everything correct but I am ot going to make a scene in the place, I even informed the waitress at the very end I would be informing the owner Pete about the low standards.

Just the usuall som na na smirk.

I was staying near WS and went for either lunch or dinner there every day, sometimes for both in 2011. Used to love the place but it has gone downhill.

Service is good but the quality of food has dropped. I've never seen Thai girls not eating their food elsewhere. Beginning of the year, food was bad, thought maybe the place was too busy and it was prepared in a hurry. Went once in May, food was crap again. Thought to give the place a chance, went again for dinner after a couple of days, food was crap. Went there again during November, took a side dish, not worth it. Since then I'll only buy a drink as you can't get that wrong. Due to location the place will be packed no matter what happens I guess.

Lots of complaints. Surely time for Pete to say something.

I've mainly gone there to have a drink although I have eaten there on a few occasions. No real complaints about the food, nothing to write home about either. For drinks only it can be a wonderful experience, one of the best spots in Patts to just kick back and chill out.

I am posting from there now and have had excellent service and food but a guy sitting opposite me was obviously displeased with his service. Unfortunately he really did get too verbally aggressive with his server and it was obvious to me they were pretty damned frightened to go back to his table cos it certainly seemed to me that he was going to offer physical violence....

The Duty Manager turned up about 15 minutes ago after the guy had left..................

Breakfast I am not sure about but in the evening ask for Ae who is brilliant at getting things done, She is one of the ladies with the three stripes on their jackets.

She is also the one that turned up late and was unable to support her staff and help a customer in my example above..

I am posting from there now and have had excellent service and food but a guy sitting opposite me was obviously displeased with his service. Unfortunately he really did get too verbally aggressive with his server and it was obvious to me they were pretty damned frightened to go back to his table cos it certainly seemed to me that he was going to offer physical violence....

The Duty Manager turned up about 15 minutes ago after the guy had left..................

Nice.

On the spot reporting. Can you hook us up with a webcam?

• keyman locked this topic