Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pattaya Beer Garden........RIP

I've been a regular eater at the PBG whenever I'm in Thaialnd and I've never had a problem. Me thinks maybe you have to consider that you are a visitor and have to order as a visiter and not like you do in your own country. Give the girls a break and cut some slack. I noticed the Iced Tea bit also. I always order Iced Tea with out sugar. It's been perfect every time. Pete is an upstanding guy and takes care of his customers. Your in Thailand not England or America. Things are different somewhat. The Iced Tea is made with a tea bag in a cup and the lady pours hot water oin and then after a few minutes she pours it in a glass with Ice added. I've sat and watched her do it for years. Good to the last drop.

I am sorry, but I don't expect inferior standards purely because I am a visitor. In some other countries I would find superior service than at 'home'... but if it is a business, in the service industry, a certain level and standard is expected and must be maintained. I shouldn't have to be giving staff a break or cutting them some slack, beyond perhaps language difficulties and unforeseen problems.

I don't mean the PBG by this but some establishments in Thailand are absolutely hopeless.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can,t please everyone and always best name and shame after all fails. pity you did,nt discuss this with pete. i,m sure he would have refunded money back if not satisfied

this is not really the point. Its a business and should be run as one.Its not up to the customer to find the owner to set things right, no matter how good a guy the owner is.

The customer is entitled to receive goods of the quality he is paying for. A shrug of the shoulders by staff in a food business is not good enough.The BM was clearly a regular so knows what the quality is generally like, He is entitled to complain.

We all know that if a restaurant is flat out busy things may be forgotton, especially as the waitress flies by and you grab her for another ice tea,she forgets with a million things on her mind.

However processes should be in place to deal with such things. The side order of bacon is a no-no being different from the main meal. A clear example of short cuts in the kitchen.

The owner can't be on deck 27/7 - that's why they invented managers.

PBG is one of my fav spots as well, lets hope the situation gets rectified.

• Upvote 1

Made a surprise visit this morning to test the current state of iced tea at the PBG.

I was getting worried that I would have to get a work visa because of constantly having to make my own in Thailand. But that seems to have changed now at the PBG.

I asked for iced tea and I got iced tea with a lime wedge and a little bit of sugar already added. Now if you make tea from scolding water it is going to burn the tea and make it bitter requiring a tiny bit of sugar. The best time to add that sugar is when the tea is still hot which creates a delima on if to serve the tea with any sugar in it already at all. Saying goes that Admiral Zumalt would fire an officer if he caught one adding salt to food without tasting it first.

I'm going to give an A-. To get anything better would require a proffessional restaurant tea maker.

So now the Hobbit knows how his restaurant makes tea. Customer shouldn't have to be explaining that to the owner.

short, you do get a bit obsessive...a couple of years ago, it was elephants, now it's iced tea. You can't expect everyone to share your obsessions.

• Upvote 4

most owners tread very carefully around there kitchen staff and so should you sunshine....

some simple rules of life for you.

Don´t mix water and electricity

Don´t eat the yellow snow

Don´t mess with the people who make and serve your food

Or you may find some little extras in your iced tea.

I had dinner in the PBG tonight at about 7pm and it was good food, good service and came within 15 minutes despite the place being packed.

• Upvote 3

I had dinner in the PBG tonight at about 7pm and it was good food, good service and came within 15 minutes despite the place being packed.

Pretty much the same experience I have had every time I went there. Peter is one of the best owners/mangers I've come across in Pattaya who always listens to his customers and treats them and their concerns with respect. If there is a problem (and as I said, I haven't experienced any yet) then I'm sure Pete will address it.

Pretty much the same experience I have had every time I went there. Peter is one of the best owners/mangers I've come across in Pattaya who always listens to his customers and treats them and their concerns with respect. If there is a problem (and as I said, I haven't experienced any yet) then I'm sure Pete will address it.

Sad to say nothing has been addressed, no personal Pm to me, nothing at all.

Thats ok, as I said I post my personal experience, just wanted to let others know how bad it was there.

On a side note, had brekkie there this morning, ordered the same meal, still served with potatoe wedges, not fries as stated, still the hard dried out beef that had been cut days before y the looks of it. Has Pete fixed it..........................................................NO

He may be the best bloke on the planet, and I am not here to knock him but maybe he should try some of the food that he thinks is so wonderful because its not.

Thats ok, as I said I post my personal experience, just wanted to let others know how bad it was there.

On a side note, had brekkie there this morning, ordered the same meal, still served with potatoe wedges, not fries as stated, still the hard dried out beef that had been cut days before y the looks of it. Has Pete fixed it..........................................................NO

He may be the best bloke on the planet, and I am not here to knock him but maybe he should try some of the food that he thinks is so wonderful because its not.

You said in your first post you would not be going back. Why did you change your mind? Are you going to keep going back? Just wondering.

Jack

• Upvote 1

Did you speak to the server and Manager about your previous experience BEFORE you ordered???..Did you say fries not wedges??

I was in on Sunday and a guy ordered the raw prawn Thai salad without realizing the prawns would be raw....No problem..it was whisked away. Prawns cooked and salad returned to the customers satisfaction..

I know because he joined me on my table to keep out of the sun..

Just a personal thought here. We all go to Thailand because there is something that draws us there. Most of us like it because it is so different from where we came from in the first place. That includes the people, their attitudes and even the quality of things like food. We know things will not be what they are at home and that has a lot to do with why we travel to Thailand in the first place. Now if you narrow that down to a single establishment, say the PBG for example, I am sure that there is something we each like about the place or we would not go there in the first place. So, (just my wild thought here) if there is something that you don't like, don't order it; order what they make that you do like.

I have been traveling in and out of the third world for so long (you can decide where Thailand fall on that scale) that when I am in a restaurant, I usually order what i want, and eat what I get. Most of the time what I get is the cooks interpretation of what I ordered. If I wanted food just like they serve where my house is, I would pretty much stay home.

Since I am on a rant here, let me say that I have always enjoyed my visit at PBG. I have never received exactly what I ordered....never, but what I did get was always served with a smile and prepared with the intent for it to be pleasing....and it was. I have never picked up a free lancer there but have seen a few that I would not mind having dessert with in a more private location.

My only suggestion for PBG...can you please update your web page?

Well this was just a personal thought observation, your may vary. I would be willing to discuss further in February over a cold beer or a Jack and coke, or other adult beverage. or we can have the adult beverage without discussion as long as there are lots of lovely ladies we can look at.

Edited by kosman
  • Upvote 2

Just a personal thought here. We all go to Thailand because there is something that draws us there. Most of us like it because it is so different from where we came from. That includes the people, their attitudes and even the quality of things like food. We know they will not be what they are at home and that has alot to do with why we travel to Thailand in the first place. Now if you narrow that down to a single establishment, say the PBG for example. I am sure that there is something we each like about the place or we would not go in the first place. So, (just my wild thought here) if there is something that you don't like, don't order it. Order what they make that you do like.

I have been traveling in and out of the third world for so long (you can decide where Thailand fall on that scale) that when I am in a restaurant, I usually order what i want, and eat what I get. Most of the time what I get is the cooks interpretation of what I ordered. If I wanted food just like they serve where my house is, I would pretty much stay home.

Since I am on a rant here, let me say that I have always enjoyed my visit at PBG. I have never received exactly what I ordered....never but what I did get was always served with a smiled and prepared with the intent for it to be pleasing....and it was. I have never picked up a free lancer there but have seen a few that I would not mind having dessert with in a more private location.

Very, very good post....except that you missed out on the occasional bum cleavage from the girl servers....mmmmmmm yummy..

Very, very good post....except that you missed out on the occasional bum cleavage from the girl servers....mmmmmmm yummy..

It is a good, well articulated post. And its content is sensible. Just a bit however, IMO, on the moralistic side and not particularly helpful, except perhaps to the newest of the newbies and those that haven't traveled outside their home countries much, to neither of whom was the OP really addressing himself. The OP wasn't really describing a matter of taste, but rather of quality, both quality of product and quality of service. Moralising about one's expectations and behavior in a 3rd world country kind of serves to trivialize, however politely as in this case, the OP's complaint. You may agree or disagree with the OP, but suggesting that he's not "properly calibrated" to Thailand is not, again IMO, particularly relevant or helpful.

Edited by tomcat76
  • Upvote 1

It is a good, well articulated post. And its content is sensible. Just a bit however, IMO, on the moralistic side and not particularly helpful, except perhaps to the newest of the newbies and those that haven't traveled outside their home countries much, to neither of whom was the OP really addressing himself. The OP wasn't really describing a matter of taste, but rather of quality, both quality of product and quality of service. Moralising about one's expectations and behavior in a 3rd world country kind of serves to trivialize, however politely as in this case, the OP's complaint. You may agree or disagree with the OP, but suggesting that he's not "properly calibrated" to Thailand is not, again IMO, particularly relevant or helpful.

Yep I agree with this too......I am a very agreeable person as a multitude of drunken farangs confirmed last night!!.......I am on the middle road on this one especially saying earlier that there was no manager on duty to help her staff...but bloody hell to go back a second time and NOT tell them of your previous bad experience and then order the same thing...without complaining about the result.....I don't know...I really really don't know what this is about.

Yep I agree with this too......I am a very agreeable person as a multitude of drunken farangs confirmed last night!!.......I am on the middle road on this one especially saying earlier that there was no manager on duty to help her staff...but bloody hell to go back a second time and NOT tell them of your previous bad experience and then order the same thing...without complaining about the result.....I don't know...I really really don't know what this is about.

All I can say is that the number of my visits to the place have been limited (and never for breakfast), but I haven't had a bad experience. If it were my business, I'd make it a practice to drop in on every shift at least now & then. But based on my experience, the place certainly isn't dead, as suggested by the topic title.

All I can say is that the number of my visits to the place have been limited (and never for breakfast), but I haven't had a bad experience. If it were my business, I'd make it a practice to drop in on every shift at least now & then. But based on my experience, the place certainly isn't dead, as suggested by the topic title.

I have never had a bad meal too..only bad service which was dealt with in another thread...I bloody love the place..... again I sense an underlying problem here..

nice enough place,but the food has never been great.

too bad though,with the right guy managing it,you could turn it into a top notch restaurant in 30 days.

I think the business concept is good as is. Not the best location for anything too hifalutin (can hardly wait for atlas to try & trace word origins on that :bigsmile: ). If there are specific issues, then fix those and move on.

You guys are amazing......................

I went back with my friends because you all jumped on me and said I was unfair with my report, that sometimes places have a bad day and I should not be so harsh. I went back also because Pete said he would address the issues I had.

Why in hell would I tell a manager of the problems I had before, and then order, when I just wanted to see if it had improved.

I think any BM would have seconds thoughts about posting anything good or bad on this board because of the wankers on here to cant seem to get it through their thick skulls I am just sharing MY experience and MY opinion with the board.

Ligfhten up, buy a beer, get laid or whatever you need to chill out.

cheers

Rodney

• Upvote 1
  • keyman locked this topic