Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 260 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Water tank in the house. How do I treat it.

Hello,

I did a search here but didn't find anything as always. It must be my search method so this might have been posted before.

How do I treat my water tank? I can see from all the toilet cisterns that the tank is dirty inside.

So does anyone know what product(s) to use and where to buy them. I did read here after my search that a BM's GF gets in the tank once a year to clean it. Is that real or a joke?

What about bacteria/ insect larva and other stuff? Again what product do I need?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

C.

If the tank is really dirty, you really do need to literally "scrub it" after you have flushed it out it would be good if you can work out the capacity of the tank and then take 3 - 5% mixture of either Calcium HyperChloride or Milton ( household bleach will do ) add this to a full take and leave it to stand for about 6 hours, then empty the tank and re fill. All of this will kill any bacteria and microorganisms. I do not suggest you drink the water from the tank unless it is plastic and has a sealed lid

Edited by bigmick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hello,

I did a search here but didn't find anything as always. It must be my search method so this might have been posted before.

How do I treat my water tank? I can see from all the toilet cisterns that the tank is dirty inside.

So does anyone know what product(s) to use and where to buy them. I did read here after my search that a BM's GF gets in the tank once a year to clean it. Is that real or a joke?

What about bacteria/ insect larva and other stuff? Again what product do I need?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

C.

That would be me..... I had an external tank at the old house (big blue plastic thing), and the screw top was big enough to let the TGF get in so about once a year I would drain it and the crazy cow would get down there. and give it a good cleaning.

Perhaps an in-line filter on the supply line would help. Plenty available in the hardware shops.

Bacteria, larvae etc, are you getting your water from the utility supplier or a well?

I don't worry about that stuff, the utility is supposed to treat it..... if you suspect it is badly contaminated a little swimming pool chlorine might help. Again an in-line filter sounds good.

I don't drink my tank water, not even after boiling, I have teh big bottles of drinking water which also gets used for coffee etc.

Edited by jacko

Thanks guys.

The tank is metal but either way I wouldn't drink the tank water. There is a water filter system for drinking water with it's own small tap. I need to get it serviced though. Don't trust it without boiling the water. Of course the phone number on the filter system does not work anymore. I'll have to find someone else. It is one of those big blue units. I'll post a picture, maybe somebody knows more.

For scrubbing the tank, I don't think I fit trough the man hole. Maybe the GF is game. We'll see.

I need to go to Kanyong for some stuff so I'll see if they have an inline filter for the water supply.

Thanks again for the info.

C.

For the filters, there is a place along Sukhomvit Road - heading North on your left just before you turn left onto Pattaya Nua (North)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the filters, there is a place along Sukhomvit Road - heading North on your left just before you turn left onto Pattaya Nua (North)

Yeah, the usual suspects, Homeworks, HomePro etc. They even have them in Big C.

These things are like printers, they make their money selling the cartridges. The smaller filters seem to be a standard size of about 35 cm x 10cm cylinder. I take them out and give them a good washing,and re-use them, they are like a fibrous tough material, the paper ones couldn't be re-used. I am cleaning off what looks like a green slime. Remember you will need isolation valves to let you do this, I do plumbing myself mostly, this blue plastic pipe is dead easy.

I used to put in a cup of bleach, then when it got low, took the hose and sprayed the walls inside of the tank. You can open the drain plug to purge the last of the dirty water. I would add bleach maybe once a month, but had to listen to the lady whine about the bleach smell. It's not that bad, she does the same in the US.

Guest Fatboyfat

We always used to use Chlorinated Lime in Fresh water tanks when I was at sea to clean them. Probably a better bet than bleach, but I have seen that used ( Sodium Hypochlorite) as well; and it shouldn't matter too much when you don't drink the water.

Edited by Fatboyfat