Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

opening a bank account in Pattaya?

don't know if this has been addressed before in other threads, if it has, my apologies for being too lazy, drunk to look.

i often vacation in Pattaya. last i was there, i had my credit cards filched! it was simply a pain-in-the-ass to remedy the issue...

as a result, when i arrive in Pattaya next week, i seek to open a Thai bank account, dump a wad of scratch into it, get an ATM card that will be operational throughout the Thailand and maybe as far as Cambodia and Vietnam...oh, i possess no work permit, be there for about a month...

pray tell kind people, is that possible? please, can i do that? :clueless

i love you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several years ago when I opened my Kasikorn account. I brought in $500 TCs so the 33 baht charge was less as it's per check. Even with the charge the exchange rate was better than for cash. I was o

I just changed some TCs earlier today. My rate was 29.61THB/USD minus 33b/chk=.33b/$ == 29.28 THB/USD. The cash exch rate for $100 notes was 29.47. (This was at a Kasikorn exch booth on 2nd Rd.)

They still appear keen to offer CCs to foreigners, as long as you are prepared to have a fixed term (3m) deposit equivalent to your credit limit.

Posted Images

Yes. I think you may get a better rate if you change your currency to baht first, and then deposit it in a local bank. Not sure quite how much difference it makes though.

Perhaps you are suggesting some of the shops like Jen Jitt where a better rate can be had?

OP... no problem opening an account here and you can specify an ATM card that can be used outside of Thailand.

The 'requirements' to open an account seem to vary from bank to bank, and even branch to branch. Some requiring a non-Imm visa, some a tourist visa, some no visa at all. Kasikorn seems to come well recommended.

There's a K bank virtually opposite the Lek,behind the Maccy Ds in the front of The Avenue complex.

This thread should help too.

http://www.pattayata...e__hl__kasikorn

cool! thanks billions, Billions! your link so useful!

Dude, or anybody else, is it better to bring traveler checks or cash to deposit? sorry for all the questions but i just quit the credit card habit and i am going through withdrawal...

i do cash now. all the dam time! :lsmile

love...

Edited by loveless

cool! thanks billions, Billions! your link so useful!

Dude, or anybody else, is it better to bring traveler checks or cash to deposit? sorry for all the questions but i just quit the credit card habit and i am going through withdrawal...

i do cash now. all the dam time! :lsmile

love...

Your choice. If you are going to en-cash them all in one go at this end they will give you added security in the interim.

It depends if you can get them 'free'.......

Inclined to say go with cash and make getting the bank account sorted and the money 'put safely away' a priority on arrival. If you are the type to fall down the aircraft steps into a GGB maybe not. :D

I opened my Kasikorn account with a tourist visa in hand but think the 30-d stamp is just as good. Don't actually know if the debit card I got can be used elsewhere in the region or not, so that'd be worth mentioning specifically. TCs will cost you 33baht each to cash here; you'll get the same rate you'll get for $100 notes, or maybe slightly better. You might want to set up your bank account back home to be able to wire funds into your Thai account directly and you might want to research how to do that before you leave.

Several years ago when I opened my Kasikorn account. I brought in $500 TCs so the 33 baht charge was less as it's per check. Even with the charge the exchange rate was better than for cash. I was on a multi-entry 'O' visa at the time.

Now I just wire what I need directly to the account before I head to Thailand. One warning, Kasikorn's ATM cards don't have an expiration date shown on them, but they expire after 5 years. I got surprised one trip, landed after midnight and my card had expired. Fortunuately I had a couple hundred US on me and a bar I'm a regular at exchanged them for me at a good rate. I went to the branch the next morning and they sorted out a new card.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just changed some TCs earlier today. My rate was 29.61THB/USD minus 33b/chk=.33b/$ == 29.28 THB/USD. The cash exch rate for $100 notes was 29.47. (This was at a Kasikorn exch booth on 2nd Rd.) So, the cash exch rate is/was better. ( Plus, I paid a 1% fee to GET the checks!) And the bank booths don't generally offer rates as good as some of the indies (which don't generally cash TCs, BTW).

Currently at least, peace-of-mind is the reason to carry TCs, not exchange rates.

Edited by tomcat76
  • Upvote 1

Hi

I had a KB account last year, but emptied it upon my return home. It's been about 18 months and I still have the passbook & card, can I reopen it or should I just go for a new one?.

cheers

Butch

Dear OP. There have been hundreds of responses to this question of recent times. I will make it really easy for you and anyone else interested.

Have the following paper work.

Passport.

Email address

Residence in Thailand (hotel)

Some money in any currency.

Mobile phone number.

Seek out a decent bank ( I used Kasikorn) and wait in line for a consultant.

Tell him/her that you want to open a Thai account and have access on the Internet and a shit load of supporting documentation (go back to previous comments) and hey presto its just like magic.

I could go on and on but why bother. Let the bank advise you of your needs depending on your wants!

OK? Simple?

Dear OP. There have been hundreds of responses to this question of recent times. I will make it really easy for you and anyone else interested.

Have the following paper work.

Passport.

Email address

Residence in Thailand (hotel)

Some money in any currency.

Mobile phone number.

Seek out a decent bank ( I used Kasikorn) and wait in line for a consultant.

Tell him/her that you want to open a Thai account and have access on the Internet and a shit load of supporting documentation (go back to previous comments) and hey presto its just like magic.

I could go on and on but why bother. Let the bank advise you of your needs depending on your wants!

OK? Simple?

Exactly as Teelack says here; I finally opened a Thai bank account in November and I went to the Kasikorn bank branch in the Central Festival Mall on the 4th floor at the 2nd Road end of the building - was in and out in half an hour or so, very easy.

Hi

I had a KB account last year, but emptied it upon my return home. It's been about 18 months and I still have the passbook & card, can I reopen it or should I just go for a new one?.

cheers

Butch

If it's been empty & inactive that long, I'd be interested to know if they haven't closed the account with reopening it not really an option.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard some banks close out your account if its been inactive for a long period of time. Is that true? If it gets closed out after a yr of inactivity then a Thai account won't do me any good.

I've heard some banks close out your account if its been inactive for a long period of time. Is that true? If it gets closed out after a yr of inactivity then a Thai account won't do me any good.

If your account has very little or no money in it and you dont use it for a year, they will close it. Also, if you have money in your account and you dont use it for a year, they will put your account into what they call "Dormant" and will write to your listed resident address telling you so. They will ask you to come to the bank and at least update your pass book to keep the account active.

Its always a good idea when opening the account to ask for an ATM card that works world wide and then you can withdraw just a small amount if you are at home and not coming back to LOS anytime soon - just to keep your account active. Also try to get the internet banking so you can do all of this over the net while at home.

Opening a bank account in Thailand is easy. You need some money, an address, and some form of identification. If you want internet access, you'll probably also need a Thai phone number. From my experience, the ATM cards work all over. Just today, I took out a few hundred dollars from my Thailand account here in the USA at a local ATM. I've also used the account in Malaysia.

I wouldn't put too much money into Baht now since it seems to be at a high but you never know.

The baht has been strengthening against most western currencies for years.

I wouldn't put too much money into Baht now since it seems to be at a high but you never know.

Hmm.... one has to consider the possibility of further weakening of some currencies, or the baht strengthening further.

I think the £ might fall a bit more, and the USA looks to be applying further 'quantitative easing'.

I have been looking at a Biz Class flight with Emirates and it would be £800 cheaper if I was buying it in the UK!

Hmm.... one has to consider the possibility of further weakening of some currencies, or the baht strengthening further.

I think the £ might fall a bit more, and the USA looks to be applying further 'quantitative easing'.

I have been looking at a Biz Class flight with Emirates and it would be £800 cheaper if I was buying it in the UK!

and I'm sure the Thais would be happier with 10 big spenders rather than 50 average tourists.

Just think of the empty hotels, bars, and pussys.

and I'm sure the Thais would be happier with 10 big spenders rather than 50 average tourists.

Just think of the empty hotels, bars, and pussys.

It wouldn't appear to be what is happening though. Most of the tourists appear to be Russian and not the big spending sector.

It wouldn't appear to be what is happening though. Most of the tourists appear to be Russian and not the big spending sector.

Knock their currency down 30+ % like the others and let's see what happens.

Edited by steamer

Knock their currency down 30+ % like the others and let's see what happens.

Well the fact is, their currency seems to be holding one-for-one to the baht pretty well.

It has managed to appreciate against the US$ which I believe is what most of them have in their pockets when they come here...feel good factor there for them.